Sign in to follow this  
perry

Lawnmower Class Action Settlement

jla1257

Remember, $35.00 in the pocket now will be paid back to the engine companies 10 times over (if not more) when they jack up prices to recuperate the loss next time we go to buy parts

perry

I bought a new Crapsman push mower 5 or so years ago, it's a 6.75hp and the biggest piece of crap I've ever owned.

is it the pretty green one ?. i have scrapped so many of those. i dont even bother fixing and selling them. you would be better off finding a old rusty trusty 3hp briggs mowers out of the junk yard. them old push mowers seem to run forever.

Wheel Horse Fan

Remember, $35.00 in the pocket now will be paid back to the engine companies 10 times over (if not more) when they jack up prices to recuperate the loss next time we go to buy parts

This is very true. Nothing is free in life. We will all end up pay for our $35 or $75 settlement one way or another.

linen beige

A dyno measures at the wheel, or brake hp. What might the brake hp be in a 5.5hp motor in first gear at 108-1 ratio?? (alot more than 5.5hp I suspect).

Brake H.P. is measured at the crank with no other load. You're thinking of NET H.P. when measured at the wheel.

marvairplanes

Just curious????

Wondering how all you guys spent the money you got from this legal case of manufacturing companies mis-representing the sizes of the engines???

Been over a year ????

Marv NW Oh

6wheeler

This is an interesting thread. In another thread I started a while back trying to figure out horsepower on an engine(Briggs Intek twin) That I bought for a project machine. It came with no labeling and I couldn't match with any #'s on the Briggs websight. I ended up calling their customer service Dept. What I found out was, part of the model # was missing and the type # matched an engine for product testing and not supposed to be available to the public. What I found interesting was, they labeled it as a 44 cubic inch engine ranging from 23hp to 30hp and the ccp # classed it as a 25hp. The last 5 digits to add to the model# that he gave me so I could get parts for it, classed it as a 23hp Intek twin. The rep. told me that they typically class an engines horsepower on a 10% to 15% de-rating from actual horsepower rating depending upon application. So, in essence what he said was, If the engine that the equipment manufacturer ends up using (ie; MTD using a Briggs Vanguard on a tractor for Craftsman) is Briggs factory rated at 30hp, in the tractor it will be rated at 25hp. So, that left me wondering. If the engine is a say, 30hp engine and then figuring what the driveline will take to operate, probably 20% to 25% of the engines BHP. That would actually figure right. Do you suppose if they explained this to customers upon purchase, this suit may not have happened?

Kelly

Just about 1 year, but I got a check in the mail today they cut the amount alot, but I did get some thing for the 3 machines I turned the claim in on, and yes I got a extra 1 year warranty on two of them, not sure what I'm going to do with the $53 probably buy a couple 6 gal. cans of gas to put in those machines.

mavfreak

I recieve 53 also used to for a tank of gas

bigd

i'm not suprised onan is not on the list aren't they out of business.maybe a lack of creative marketing?i'll stick with my k and m series.

416/520

$64.06 got it yeaterday

tunahead72

$20.38 in the mailbox yesterday, going towards a new valve cover and gaskets. :hide:

zieg72

$21.84 in the mail today... 5 gallons of gas and a soda...

Duff

$32.03 in the mail this morning. Yup - more fuel! :WRS:

~Duff :hide:

300zx

I got the same, $32.03 in the mail yesterday.