Sign in to follow this  
Don1977

Broken trans.

Don1977

I broke my 8 speed transmission Saturday. Stop on a slope to unload some boards. When I started back I let the clutch out too quick and snapped something in the trans. I haven't taken it apart yet but the input shaft will move in and out about 3/4". I need an

8 speed trans with 1 1/8" axles. I also need one hub, got one that loose. that may be part of the reason I broke the trans. If anyone had one for sale please email me.

rickv1957

Don,are you sure your drive pulley is not slipping on shaft,Rick

stevasaurus

Rick is right...you have wood ruff keys in both the input shaft and in each of the hubs on the axles. These are made to give before you break anything in the transmission. :omg: You want to take these apart and check them first...couple of dollar parts at the TORO dealer. I think you would snap a key before you would snap an input gear and shaft. :D

Don1977

The shaft moves 3/4" out when I pull on it, the pulley is tight. Their should be no more that 1/16" end play on the input shaft.

I'll go take it apart and get some pictures. I'm pretty sure it's not the key. That's what I hoped it was when it snapped. Sound like a 22 rifle.

stevasaurus

I can't figure out what you may have snapped to get that kind of play without the whole input shaft coming out in your hand. Do you have the manual for that trans? If not...MikeRJ has it on his site. http://www.mytractorforum.com/ :omg: I would like to see the pictures. thanks

Coadster32

I can't figure out what you may have snapped to get that kind of play without the whole input shaft coming out in your hand

I'm with you on this one. :omg:

Don1977

I was wrong, I guess old age has got me, can't see anymore. I was sure that shaft

moved with the pulley, but it didn't. Took it apart the key was gone, couldn't even find

any dust. I'll get a new key and give it a try. Here is a picture the shaft and pulley are not hurt, just a few scrape by the set screw.

IMGP1683.jpg

Horse'n Around

Im glad that it turned out to be something simple like that. Im happy for you!

John

Raider12

A 25 cent fix is always good day. Good you for you. :omg:

Coadster32

:omg: Nice find!!

rmaynard

Just in case you can't find that 25 cent key, I have a $99.00 transmission available.

:omg:

Bob

stevasaurus

Good for you Don...I am guessing the pulley loosened and the key fell out. :omg:

Easy fix.

Roger from southern Iowa

I'm happy that was all that happened.

You will be back in business in no time. :omg:

rickv1957

Don,sounds like a great ending for your pulley problem! :omg: Rick

Don1977

Good for you Don...I am guessing the pulley loosened and the key fell out. :omg:

Easy fix.

The key exploded made a hell of a racket and I guess it ground up the rest that's what scraped the shaft. There is no way it fell out until I pulled on the pulley. I'm going to have my wheel hub keyed at about 90 degrees from the old worn key way. Went to see my machinist friends. The first didn't have any broaches, the second didn't have one for a 1/4" key, and the third wasn't home. I still down but things are look up. He's off work tomorrow but I going to be out of town, may be back in business by the week end.

Don1977

I got my wheel hub broached for a new key way will be back in business as soon as I can get a new key and put it back together. Could not find a 5/32" key for the transmission pulley but had 3/16" that I filed down to fit. It took around 20 minuets but I got a good tight fit.

72morph

I got an old Sears Craftsman Suburban 1975 for cheap that would not move .Just loaded it up and took it home and found the key fell out of one wheel.Still had to rebuild the old flat head cast iron Briggs but it turned out to be a great old tractor.Not very often get off cheap though.