The Toolman

Kohler Fuel Pump Parts

The Toolman

Sent this out awhile ago to this fella that supplies fuel pump parts an builds diaphragms for'em

A million of us guys out here that would love to have new diaphragms for our single cyl. kohler engines. They quit making the kits years ago an all of us JD, Wheelhorse, bolens, sears, Cub cadet an allis garden tractor collectors hafta buy a new 45-65 dollar plastic replacement pump now.

We would rather have the part to repair our originals than buying the plastic repros.

These are on all the old single cyl kohlers K241 K301 etc from the late 50's thru late 70's I believe...anyway, ya can't buy the dang diaphragms anymore for them

These old kohlers are in all of these old tractors an a lot of other pieces of equip.....

What he sent back,

Hi Ron,

Thank you for your inquiry. Let me double check on Monday, but I'm almost sure that we make a kit for those pumps, but I could be wrong. I do know I've rebuilt quite a few of them over the years. I'll try and get back to you sometime in the morning.

Thank you

Mike

rickv1957

Ron,that would be very nice to be able to get rebuild kits for the pumps :omg: Rick

catman81056

Count me in for a few :omg:

FarmerJim

I need a few of them too! :omg:

rickv1957

Ron,I will take 6 or so!,Rick

mflowers

Ok, so maybe I missed something. Did this guy ever respond and if so, where can I get one of these?

Raider12

Ok, so maybe I missed something. Did this guy ever respond and if so, where can I get one of these?

I understood that this gentlemen would be in touch with "TheToolman" sometime today. If this is the case, I to would like aa few of these.

Denver

iicap

I don't know if the kits that WERE available came with inlet and outlet valves. They are what I would like to get. I have a couple of pumps with bad valves and good diaphraghms, the springs fatigue and don't seat the disc any longer.

The Toolman

Heres what he sent back. Once he gets me a pic, I'll put up his site an # an you guys can deal with him direct.

I can't believe nobody has went to ther trouble of trying to find someone that had or would make these already....

Ron,

I do in fact have kits for those pumps on the shelf. I have 5 of them right now, and can make up more with no trouble at all. The kit price is $37.50 plus shipping/handling. If needed, I can take a picture of the kit contents to give you an idea what it includes.

Thank you

Mike

dgoyette

Ron,

I have been talking with Mike today as I would like a few kits. He knows there is interest in the kits. But there has been more interest than actual sales. He is going to see if he can work on lowering the current price ($37.50) as the input he has received is that it is just too steep for most.

He is supposed to get back to me next week. It would be nice to keep the kits available at a reasonable price. I do not at all care for the plastic pumps!

EDIT; by the way Ron - thanks very much for finding this source!

The Toolman

Yep, it is a tad high for what is there. My original is still working from 1979, but I would like to have a spare kit just in case.......

rickv1957

The fuel pump kits are still available for the vacuum pumps used on the Ds and many others,10.00,Rick

rmaynard

$37.50 is a bit high considering that a new one is only $38.00. I realize that they are plastic now, but when you take the labor into consideration for doing a rebuild, the $37.50 gets even higher, and if you find that the inside of your cast aluminum pump has corroded from moisture and can't be rebuilt because the valve seats are gone, you've wasted $37.50.

My money is on the new pump. One reason they are being made with plastic is because other than the diaphragm going bad, corrosion of the valve seats was the major factor in pump failures. Moisture doesn't affect plastic.

On the other hand, if the kits were a reasonable cost like say $12.50, that would be another story.

Bob

NYRedNeck

Here is a link to a guy on ebay selling the replacement plastic body pumps. The pump is about 35.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI..._fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Toolman.. I spoke with that guy Mike today. We will speak again on Monday. He will let me know about the rebuild kit and how much. I know he was working on better pricing. Thanks again for the link.

Good weekend to all your horse fans, Happy hunting :D

rmaynard

Here is a link to a guy on ebay selling the replacement plastic body pumps. The pump is about 35.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI..._fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Toolman.. I spoke with that guy Mike today. We will speak again on Monday. He will let me know about the rebuild kit and how much. I know he was working on better pricing. Thanks again for the link.

Good weekend to all your horse fans, Happy hunting :D

Be sure to check the part number on your metal pump, and cross-reference it to make sure it matches the replacement you are buying.

Bob

Kelly

If the price was a little better, I'd buy a few kits to rebuild my pumps for tractors I'm restoring and don't want a plastic pump on, now the workers I don't care as long as it works, when you find a price let us know, heck maybe we can pool together and buy 30+ kits and save money. i'd buy a few as I said

NYRedNeck

Below is an email I recieved from the guy Mike about the fuel pump kits.

Hi Al and Darren,

I finally got a chance to re-do the pricing on these kits. I dropped the price down to $22.50 plus shipping/handling. I'm still digging up some pictures or diagrams to aid in identifing the three different pumps in the event that the numbers can not be seen. This would make it easier for the customer to tell exactly which pump they have, and in turn we'll be able to supply the correct kit.

Thank you both very much for the feedback on this.

Mike

Duff

Mike, thanks for the post and the good news! That's very useful info! :USA:

Duff :D

The Toolman

There ya go guys, 15 bux saved.....

Mike-Casella

These are the four different style fuel sections I have found to date, for the Kohler engines. I didn't bother taking pictures of the body sections because they are basically all the same. The only difference is in the arm that goes inside the engine. These pictures should help to identify which pump is on your engine and also enable us to supply you with the correct rebuilding kit. Most of these pumps have numbers stamped into them to identify which pump you have, but in the event that they can't be seen or they just aren't there, these pictures should help.

388381646.jpg

We have found that this is the most popular one.

388381650.jpg

This is just a close-up of the other style showing the different valves.

388381655.jpg

This is a close-up of the "Box" style. Note that is has the additional top pulsator cover. This design uses a larger diaphragm assembly.

388381648.jpg

A couple of different views of the three different ones.

388381660.jpg

388381642.jpg

When ordering a kit, please refer to the "Type" number.

Thank you

Mike

Late breaking news! I was just shown yet another style pump for these engines.

The Toolman

Mike, be sure an add this (pics) an the new price to the "Backyard Round Table" section over at the My Tractor Forum

http://www.mytractorforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45

Ronnie-The Toolman

Mike-Casella

I put together this group of pictures to take some of the confusion out of ordering one of the rebuilding kits for the small engines. These kits fit the cast aluminum pumps that are held together with 4 screws. The later replacement pumps that are made out of a plastic material, and are usually black, our kits may not fit. The valves that we use will not stay in. One other problem I found is the physical size of the diaphragm is larger than what we supply and may not fit properly. If you are good with J.B. Weld, it can be used to glue the valves in, but care must be taken to keep it away from the valve plate.

The price of these kits are all the same at $27.50 each plus S&H. Below are the pictures of the three kits, and their part numbers. I also need to mention one part that must be ordered separately due to how scarce it is. We refer to this as the 6 screw cover diaphragm.

One last thing, our web site has changed, the maritimedragracing link no longer works. We can be found at www.then-now.com

Our most popular kit..

412658417.jpg

This kit fits the pumps that have no arm that goes into the engine block. We refer to it as a "vacuum kit".

412658419.jpg

This fits the Box-Style pumps. They are normally found on Military generators, and some Arctic Cat engines.

412658418.jpg

This final picture is the 6 screw cover I mentioned above, the diaphragm for it must be ordered separately.

412658416.jpg

If anyone has any questions, please let me know, and I'll do my best to answer them.

Thank you

Mike

loudtractor