Sign in to follow this  
gregg.d250

Gator Blade Application Discovery

gregg.d250

Made an interesting discovery today and picked up Gator Blades for my 42" RD deck.

For those of you who love Oregon's Gator Blades you might know they are available for 42" SD decks. The PN is 90-643

After a bunch of research and scouring all Oregon's applications, I found an interchange with a Simplicity blade part number with identical 3/4" spindle holes and exact blade lengths. The RD decks have more of a 'triangular' spindle layout and the blades are about 5/8" longer than the SD decks, whose spindles are more 'in-line' laterally with each other and use shorter blades as delivered.

The PN for the RD deck application is 96-642.

I've installed them on the RD deck, and can't wait to try them out. The RD deck has more grass 'deck dwell time' before ejection, so I think the results with Gator blades will be even better than how they perform on my 42" SD deck.

Hope someone can use this information!!

:omg:

Operator

Thanks Greg! I was looking through one of my flyers today trying to match numbers from Toro to Oregon, They are a heavier blade and cheaper!

Randy

munsonRN

Did this end up working out well? I have been looking for these blades for a while now.

Also, can someone post a pic of the bottom of a 42" RD deck. My deck does not have any baffles and I was thinking about fabricating something to work.

Thanks for everyones help.

Chris.

stoneman

my C-81 has a 36" rear discharge deck. i read somewhere that guys are putting a set of those gator blades above the standard blades at a 90 degree angle to create a mulching system. any facts on the application? sounds like a good plan, but it seems like if you're putting 2 blades on on shaft they'd need to be locked in place somehow. i'd like to give this a try.

MikesRJ

This is an image Karl (Nylon) sent me some time ago ... hope it helps.

MulchingKit.jpg

mwagner

I have a 36" rear discharge, I did the gator blades @ 90 degrees above the standard blades, it worked great for me. I just set them to 90 degrees and tightened the spindle nut up tight, I mowed a whole season last year and didn't have any problems with them getting out of phase with each other. The only thing i had to do was replace the standard thick washer under the spindle nut with a thinner one from the hardware store.

I made a previous post about this, and forgot to mention that I actually don't have any kind of a mulching kit or baffles on my deck, I am still discharging out the back using the Gator / stock blade setup. The mulchers made a world of difference in the way it cut (no more clumps), and even though it is still discharging I will say what's left behind is mulched up pretty good.

stoneman

I have a 36" rear discharge, I did the gator blades @ 90 degrees above the standard blades, it worked great for me. I just set them to 90 degrees and tightened the spindle nut up tight, I mowed a whole season last year and didn't have any problems with them getting out of phase with each other. The only thing i had to do was replace the standard thick washer under the spindle nut with a thinner one from the hardware store.

I made a previous post about this, and forgot to mention that I actually don't have any kind of a mulching kit or baffles on my deck, I am still discharging out the back using the Gator / stock blade setup. The mulchers made a world of difference in the way it cut (no more clumps), and even though it is still discharging I will say what's left behind is mulched up pretty good.

any idea of the oem or part number for the gator blades on you 36" RD?

munsonRN

For anyone that MIGHT attempt to try this... Don't. The cutting aspect of the blade is not on the same side as the OEM. Therefore, the blades would have to spin the opposite direction for these to work.

Sorry to burst any bubbles.

So, has anyone else found a blade?

gwgdog66

For anyone that MIGHT attempt to try this... Don't. The cutting aspect of the blade is not on the same side as the OEM. Therefore, the blades would have to spin the opposite direction for these to work.

Sorry to burst any bubbles.

So, has anyone else found a blade?

I found this out also. :thumbs: