PPGman

1976 C-120 Restoration

C-Series14

That's alot of red!!! :D

rickv1957

looking mighty fine! :D Rick

PPGman

S5003418.jpg

Starting to get things figured out here as far as the wire routing is concerned. I had everthing bolted up, and wired up here only to find out that i forgot to install the air shield that goes behind the carb! Tore the coil, linkage, and carb back off, and installed the shield. It was kinda a tense moment here because i really wanted to hear this engine run!

Got everthing wired up, and hit the key....it cranked but nothing. No fire in the hole. Ahh...remebered that it had no gas. Grabbed the gas can filled her up.....cranked her and nothing. As i'm standing there scratching my head, i realize the wires on the coil are reversed. I reverse them, and she cranks right up.

Fire in the hole, and it sure sounded good. Everything checked out A-OK. We got 34yrs out of this engine before it needed tore down; Not to shabby! I just love these little red tractors!!

PPGman

S5003419.jpg

Finally getting to the point of finishing up here. Got my hood on, and thought i'd clean her up just a bit before i started on the decals. Took some 1500grit wet paper and sanded the hood, and nibbed a few pieces of dirt out of the fenders.

PPGman

S5003427.jpg

After a couple of passes with the buffer, It was time to get the decals on

PPGman

S5003433.jpg

I purchased some decals from Terry here a few months ago. I have to say, they are top notch quality. The decals are nice and thick and have plenty of adhesive on them. I have learned over the years that the best way to put decals on is with plenty of soap and water, a rubber squeegy, and a bit of patience.

PPGman

S5003433-1.jpg

Half way though installing my decals i realize that the decal set is for a C-120 automatic.......mine is a C-120 8speed. I'm sure this was my fault in ordering the wrong kit, but most of the decals are correct. I'll have to call Terry and see if i can get the two "120 8 speed" decals for the side. I installed the "automatics", but when i get a set of the 8speed decals i'll switch them out later.

massey

You did a great job, nothing beats a base/clear job for depth.

stevebo

That tractor looks awesome. I think you did just enough and not too much. BTW is that shop at your house or work? Lift???

PPGman

Here's our finished tractor. Its nice and clean now, but next week it will be covered in grass! Me and my boys had alot of fun tinkering with this project, but its nice to have it completed and back together.

S5003444.jpg

S5003440.jpg

S5003437.jpg

S5003446.jpg

PPGman

That tractor looks awesome. I think you did just enough and not too much. BTW is that shop at your house or work? Lift???

Its at my body shop. We added the lift a few yrs ago when my back started getting sore! Its funny seeing everyone's reaction when they walk through the door and see that little tractor sitting on the lift.

rustynut

seeing that makes me want to redo my c-120 auotmatiic. :USA: . i love the c series :D

Duff

Doug, beautiful job! Just a thought...with all that hard work and gorgeous paint, are you going to put some type of protective/traction pads on the footrests?

Duff :D

JimD

Doug, you did a beautiful job on it. If i had one that nice I don't think I could let it get dirty. :USA: :D

scifi4all

Nice Job! :D

PPGman

Doug, beautiful job! Just a thought...with all that hard work and gorgeous paint, are you going to put some type of protective/traction pads on the footrests?

Duff :D

Duff, i got some foot rest material comming this week for it. My dad was mowing with it yesterday, so we cut some cardboard pieces to cover the foot rests for now. :USA:

PPGman

Doug, you did a beautiful job on it. If i had one that nice I don't think I could let it get dirty. :wh::USA:

Thanks Jim, it was alot of fun working on it with my dad and my boys. It seemed that me and my Dad were always doing something with the Wheel Horse on the weekends, and now its starting to go to another generation.

I'm sure we'll keep it as nice as we can, but we use this tractor all yr round. We mow, garden, and clean snow in the winter time with it. I'm sure it will develop some battle scars along the way.....but thats what touchup paint is for!! :D

chris11

Paint looks great, nice job :D

jimbotelho

awsome job great looking tractor enjoy!!! :D

rmaynard

Half way though installing my decals I realize that the decal set is for a C-120 automatic.......mine is a C-120 8speed. I installed the "automatics", but when i get a set of the 8speed decals I'll switch them out later.

Swapping out those decals may be a little rough. Maybe you ought to just drop in an automatic tranny. :D

Great job Doug.

Bob

stoneman

that is really a nicely done job. :wh::USA: if mine turn out anywhere near that nice, i'll be waking up at least a few times a night just to walk out to the shop and admire them. again . . . :D . . . I APPLAUD your efforts. scott

PPGman

that is really a nicely done job. :D:wh: if mine turn out anywhere near that nice, i'll be waking up at least a few times a night just to walk out to the shop and admire them. again . . . :USA: . . . I APPLAUD your efforts. scott

Thanks Scott, it was alot of fun. These tractors were such a big part of my childhood growing up that it was nice to finally give them a decent attempt of a restoration. They have done alot of work for us over the yrs, and hopefully they'll be parked in my kids garage someday working for them.

I'm sure your projects will turn out great, keep us posted on your progress :D

PPGman
Half way though installing my decals I realize that the decal set is for a C-120 automatic.......mine is a C-120 8speed.

rickv1957

Very nice job on your C120!,looks great!, :D Rick

PPGman

Very nice job on your C120!,looks great!, :USA: Rick

Thanks Rick, it was alot of fun. I'm thinking i might need to line up a winter project now :D