Sign in to follow this  
PPGman

1976 C-120 Restoration

PPGman

This is one of 2 C-120's we have in our horse stable. This C-120 is a 1976 that my uncle bought new, and in 1983 my dad purchased it from my aunt after he passed. The other tractor we have (not pictured) is a 1974C120 which we restored last yr and resides at my house. Overall this machine is in pretty decent shape, but is in desperate need of a face lift and some TLC. I have been working on it during the evenings over the past few weeks, and managed to take some pics along the way. I have never posted any pics on here before, so i thought i'd give it a try and post some pics of our progress so far.

S5003218.jpg

rickv1957

Tractor in picture looks nice! :omg: Rick

Ken B

Desperate need of a face lift? The tractor looks great to me eh.

PPGman

After getting her torn down, i decided to get the sand blaster out. I can personally remember at least 3 rattle can paint jobs that i took part in as a kid growning up. They all needed to come off, and this is what i ended up with. As luck would have it, i ran out of blast media before i was done. I ended up wire wheel brushing the rest. Over all the bones were in pretty good shape, but found two cracks in the frame. My dad mows a bank around his house, and i'm betting the cracks are from years of mowing that sidehill leaning out over that fender! We've never had much use for a push mower around here.

DSC00435.jpg

PPGman

The mig welder and some backing plates took care of the cracks and some filler smoothed everything out. Actually didn't have much to do to this piece but smooth it out and prep it for paint. I probably should have dissassembled more here, but decided to prep for paint as is.

DSC00433.jpg

PPGman

I read alot of the paint discussions on here when it comes to choosing color. I ended up going with GM code 81. The only wheel horse piece i had that was never painted was the snow blade to this tractor. I peeled one of the decals off, and the GM 81 seemed to match up nicely. I found some old DP 40 in the back of the paint cabinet and layed that down first over the bare steel. Followed by 3 coats of base, and 2 coats of clear. This is what i ended up with in the end. I later went back and touched a few areas up that i missed. A few hrs more tearing this thing down would have made a nicer job, but i was happy with what i ended up with.

DSC00436.jpg

PPGman

Here are my finished tins. They were not in bad shape at all, the hood and fenders had a few dings, but nothing major. A few hrs of hammer and dolly work followed by a bit of filler took care of the dings. The most time consuming part here was dealing with the 3 layers of paint that needed to come off. I ended up using paint stripper to peel down the layers, and wire brushed what the stripper didn't bring off. I cleaned everything up with a few coats of primer and sanded with 400grit wet. Finished it off with base/clear.

S5003269.jpg

gwgdog66

:omg: Looks Good :D

PPGman

This is pretty much how the project stands today. I'm waiting for a piston and ring set to arrive so i can get the engine back together and painted. Hopefully in the next few days i'll get the rest of the tins on. I got a decal set from the vinyl guy a few weeks ago that i'd like to get on as well. I must say, the decals he sent me look absolutely amazing.

The best part of the project is right here in this picture. This is my youngest son and a big WH fan. My boys have been having fun as well working on this project.

I'll keep you posted as progress continues.

S5003282.jpg

• Like 1

dclarke

very nice! :omg:

PPGman

Swung by tractor supply this morning to pick up some odds and ends. I ended up picking up a new seat. The seat on it now isn't in too bad shape, but its got a few splits in the vinyl and holds water like a sponge. Stopped at Napa and checked on some other parts i'm waiting for , and thought i check on a starter as well. Mine works fine, but when i tore it off i noticed it was missing a tooth on the gear. Napa wants $140bucks for a starter, so maybe i'll see if i can rebuild this one, or get a used one off ebay. Anybody know where i might find one for a better price??

Still waiting for the piston, rings, valves, and gasket kit to get here from Napa. Towards the tail end of last year, she started using quite a bit of oil. Tore the head off and found some broken rings, and a bunch of crud on top of the piston, i'm surprised it even ran. The piston almost looked like it had "mushroomed" a bit at the top and on the side. After some cleaning and honing, the cylinder and wall looked pretty decent to me. I have a friend that has a machine shop and he cleaned it up a bit more and mic'd the bore top to bottom for me and compared it to the kohler specs. The bore was in specs, and looks like a standard size piston will work just fine.

DSC00442.jpg

DSC00443.jpg

DSC00446.jpg

DSC00444.jpg

DSC00450.jpg

DSC00451.jpg

Raider12

That missing tooth on the starter may be a problem. But the project looks likes it cominng together nicely. You should have a nice machine when your finished.

CasualObserver

Tractor looks like it's coming along nicely.

Will any of these work? (Looks to me like the 33-751 should, but you might call to verify.)

http://www.lawnmowerpros.com/Kohler/Kohler-Starter-Parts.asp

dclarke

those starter drives used to be available as a repair part. check with a starter repair shop.

DMK855

Tractor looks really good!! Would be nice to have that mixing station at my fingertips!! :omg:

rickv1957

Tractor looks great,nice work! :omg: Rick

PPGman

Tractor looks really good!! Would be nice to have that mixing station at my fingertips!! :D

The mixing bank does make life alot more easier when i comes to tweeking colors. I don't know how we did it for so long without one!

I see your in Marietta GA.....my brother in law live over Kennesaw way. Nice town and good eating in Marietta! :omg:

PPGman

Tractor looks like it's coming along nicely.

Will any of these work? (Looks to me like the 33-751 should, but you might call to verify.)

http://www.lawnmowerpros.com/Kohler/Kohler-Starter-Parts.asp

I pulled that page up , and it looks like the drive gear i need for my starter. Thanks much for the link :omg:

On another note, anybody know where i might be able to find a headlight lense???

DMK855

I see your in Marietta GA.....my brother in law live over Kennesaw way. Nice town and good eating in Marietta! :omg:

Closer to Woodstock, but........ If you are ever down this way, let me know!! I am from Chester County, Pa. but we were moved down here last summer for my wife's job!! So far we love the area, just not enough WH's!!!!

markslawnmowerworld

Those starter drives are still available as a part.....from any kohler or stens dealer...but sit down when they tell you how much... the last one i sold was like $68.00 but you might want to weigh the option of replacement of the starter...

it is available from kohler and stens sells kohler o.e.m kohler parts now for way cheaper and its the same part.......just some helpful info.......nice project you have as well! :omg:

rmaynard

I read alot of the paint discussions on here when it comes to choosing color. I ended up going with GM code 81.

How do you like the GM #81 color now that you have painted most of the tractor? Did you get the color results you were looking for? I have found that most of the colors that people have recommended or are using, have a yellow or orange tint to them in the direct sunlight, where the original color on my horse has no orange cast at all.

What brand did you use?

I'm still color searching.

Bob

PPGman
I read alot of the paint discussions on here when it comes to choosing color.

PPGman

Those starter drives are still available as a part.....from any kohler or stens dealer...but sit down when they tell you how much... the last one i sold was like $68.00 but you might want to weigh the option of replacement of the starter...

it is available from kohler and stens sells kohler o.e.m kohler parts now for way cheaper and its the same part.......just some helpful info.......nice project you have as well! :omg:

Thanks much Mark for the information. I actually found a new one through another local parts chain here for $120. I'll see if i can find something in the Stens line as well.

I can remember going as a kid with my dad to the parts store to get one of these starter's many years ago. I'm thinking he paid a whole $40 bucks for it back then.

rmaynard
I read alot of the paint discussions on here when it comes to choosing color.

PPGman

S5003410.jpg

Well, I have made some progress the past two weeks on my WH, and thought i'd share some pics.

The piston, and ring set finally did come in a month ago, but i didn't have any time to work on it until a few weeks ago. New piston, ring, valves, starter, and a gasket set installed. Just some quick masking, and some Wheel Horse red paint, and this engine was finally off my workbench and sitting back in the tractor. It sure is nice to have my workbench back!

I must say, the Kohler manual i downloaded was a handy piece of information to have here. It really made things go together quickly