Sign in to follow this  
hounddoghundzsa

Lawn Rehab

hounddoghundzsa

I bought this house last fall and it was bank owned. They had some landscapers come in and cut the front yard and two swipes around the perimeter of the house and a single pathway to the garage. I was able to get some of it knocked down with my 704, but when I broke one of the deck spindles off I gave up. :omg:

Now I've got a new problem to contend with: the 2-3' tall grass is all matted down and right now the yard is soppin' wet.

I'm not trying to make my yard look like a putting green or nothing, I just want it to look nice and something where my kid can play. Tearing the lawn up and doing a re-seed is out of the question.

Could I run a dethatcher across it, then mow it a couple of times? Any other suggestions ??

Sparky

Sounds like a job for a sickle bar mower once its dry. After its cut it would have to be raked and then a nice level cut with a Wheel Horse. Of course with grass that long you should walk around and look for hidden stuff like concrete blocks, kids toys, old dog chain, or anything else that might of been left in the yard and is now covered by the long grass.

Any farmers in the area that might have a machine to give it its first cut?

Or I suppose you could get yourself a $20 push mower that you dont care about from a yard sale and set the wheels up as far as they will go and then start slowly hacking into it. Wear tall boots and some safety glasses as your bound to throw something out from under the deck. If ya got got kids and pets keep em inside till yer done.

Good luck.

Mike.........

hounddoghundzsa

It's all matted down flat now from all the snow. So I don't think a sickle would be much help since there's nothing left standing. (Still wish I had one, though)

Operator

City yard? [little] or a country yard?[bigger] Go to the rental store for a brush mower and cut high to start with wait a couple weeks the mow off a little more.

That an idea?

Randy

hounddoghundzsa

City yard? [little] or a country yard?[bigger]

The back yard is about an acre before the woods.

Operator

Yup rent is the word then, brush mower to high cut it then keep triming it down.

Randy

PS Nice size yard. :omg:

CasualObserver

I don't know what your layout or situation is... but what about trimming around buildings and just burning the rest off? Otherwise I'm with Randy. Rent a brush cutter, either one you do your self, or someone from a landscape service who has a SCUT with a bush hog. The second suggestion will probably be cheaper than you think if you just have them cut it and get out of there... but I would definitely walk it first, and then warn them that you don't know for sure about any hidden objects. Depending on what they charge, you might consider having them use an estate rake and sweeper on it too. These guys have the equipment to do the job quickly. I enjoy clearing and yardwork as much as probably anyone, but sometimes my time is worth paying to have things done.