Sign in to follow this  
Butch

RS site problems?

stevasaurus

Mavfreak...it is not the pictures. There is not a picture on this site until someone opens a post with a link to it, and then you are only looking at the linked picture...not a picture on this site. If someone moves his picture on "PhotoBucket" to a different album or deletes it, the link is broken in the post and you will not see the picture. :omg:

dodge78

Im using IE6 because using anything newer screws with the intended use of the video card for dual monitors. Firefox seems to work just fine but I cant use the dual monitor features either.

porkchop

My son switched my browser to firefox from internet explorer and it seems to have solved the back button problem.

mavfreak

I was told that I can't put pictures on here without going through an off-sight service and if I attach a picture using the browse option that it slows down the sight. I see a lot of people on here that do that. so then If i attach a picture to here then its on here right? Or can one view my picture if my computer is off? And with that being said I would guess there is pictures on here. but hey i could be wrong.

I tried to load photobucket on here but norton will freeze up my computer and says virus detected. Every time I try it does this. Is there any other sights like this?

Save Old Iron

Mav,

here's a small summary of what happens.

This site does not have the ability (or possibly desire) to store images on the same computer that stores these messages.

The images must be stored somewhere else. That "somewhere else" is usually a free service like photobucket.

When you create a free account on photobucket, they grant you the ability to upload pictures from your computer onto their computer.

Your pictures now exist on your pc and a photobucket pc called a server (it "serves images to those who request it.)

When you upload an image to photobucket, the image is tagged with an digital address on the web - kind of like a mailbox number.

When you place that address or "image code" into your post, the red square computer sees that link and retrieves the image from photobucket to display on your red square post.

The image is still saved on the photobucket site but is "served" to the Red Square site when you view the post.

Think of it as going to a restaurant (Red Square)- the food (picture) doesn't come attached to the menu, but when you request it (view the post and the RedSquare server calls the photobucket server), the food is delivered from the server (Photobucket) to your table (yourhome pc).

Hope that clears up a few questions.

mavfreak

ok but what I was asking was what happens to pictures If I don't have photobucket. Which I don't

It would be my guess that there on this sight stored with the posting.

Then that is why its not recommended to load pictures without using an off-sight program like photobucket

And that is why I said that maybe its the pictures that is slowing down things because I'm not the only one who loads pictures on this way.

Duff

Chuck, I think you're onto something here. I'm not particularly computer-savvy, but I think some of this problem may have to do with something called "bandwidth" which, as I understand it, is roughly akin to a highway. Bandwidth is sort of like how many lanes there are on the highway, and how many exits and entrance ramps are available. Load the highway up with traffic and things naturally slow down.

Forumer, who owns the server that we all access at Red Square, may be running into capacity problems. The ISP (internet service provider, such as Comcast, Hughesnet, Verizon, Fairpoint, etc.) we each have in our own home or offices may be congested depending on our area, time of day, and the like. Then there are the differences between various high speed internet connections, DSL, dial-up, satellite, and on and on. Any of these, or more likely a combination, might cause the back button problems some folks are experiencing. When you hit the back button, you are essentially asking the computer to reconnect to a previous page you were looking at. It sends a "vehicle" onto the bandwidth "highway" and how long it takes to get to the destination (Forumer) and back can be influenced by a number of things. Using Chuck's restaurant analogy, you placed your order with the waiter who got it to the kitchen but may have had to stand in line to place the order, or the kitchen may be backed up with orders so getting your food could take extra time.

Usually when I experience back-button problems I'm also having slower than normal connections to everything else that requires going out in the Internet. This isn't always obvious and unless I'm paying attention I often overlook the relationship. Sad thing is, I've read that this is only going to get worse as we run out of bandwidth in the not too distant future.

Anyway, just more grist for the mill on this subject, take it or leave it! :D

Duff :omg:

stevasaurus

Duff...you may be on to something with the Band-With thingy. Look at it this way...most of you guys work, so you are going online (kind of) when everyone else is.

If you have dial-up...comcast and maybe a few others you will definitely notice a difference in speed at peak times...which would cause the reaction to keep hitting the back-up until it catches up with your order. In this case...it would not matter which browser you have...you are still trying to use the hi-way with a bunch of other people.

I have not experienced this problem, but I am on during the day, and I also have AT&T Uverse with CAT-5 and fiber...it is faster then the DSL I used to have. Usually, there are about 20 or less members on this site when I am on.

I suggest that the members that are having problems document the time and day and you can also check the speed of your computer at the time of the problem...(where are you MikeRJ)...anyway...document as much info as you can, and we can figure this out.

The thing about computers...until they achieve consciousness...they are all about LOGIC...there is a reason they do any and every thing. :D

Maybe start a thread in site suggestions to document the problems. Give as much info as you can. Include how many members are on the site. :omg:

Butch

The problems I've had I never had before. I even tried Firefox. No different for me. Still I haven't seen any names listed under "RedSquare members visited today" since my problems started.

Butch

S. Jersey.

WH854

I am still haveing the same problem. I notice when I log on down at bottem of main page It says (Error on page) I am on cable It is real fast on downloads and such

Chas

nylyon

Ok, members visited is gone, does that seem to fix the issue? I have one other thought of what may cause a problem but one step at a time.

Butch

I am still haveing the same problem. I notice when I log on down at bottem of main page It says (Error on page) I am on cable It is real fast on downloads and such

Chas

Cable??? You mean they still have "dial-up"?? :omg:

Butch

The "RedSquare members visited today" section is now gone. Does this mean someone removed it or is it another glitch?

Who keeps this site up and running or takes care of the technical problems?

Butch

S. Jersey

nylyon

I removed it to see if it helps with this back button problem people are seeing. It is not a glitch, I need someone to tell me if their problem with the back button is fixed. There are no gremlins here.

Butch

nylyon I never use the "back" button here so I just tried it. Nope! It didn't work.

I open up bunches of windows instead of using the "back? button!

Butch

S. Jersey

nylyon

Can you join me in chat now?

nylyon

I am not having this problem with IE or Firefox. I need someone who is having the problem to help me get this resolved.

I have removed the members visited section, and that doesn't seem to have worked. I have one other thought but I need someone to test for me.

[edit] I have removed all the modifications which might have any remote problem. It should also speed up the forum. If you are still experiencing issues:

1. Clear your browsers cache

2. Delete cookies set by this forum

let me know if you're still having problems.

rickv1957

I have not seen any problems,Rick

Butch

I'm now on Firefox.

"Back" button works.

"Back" button is not working on IE 7 or 8. Not sure which I have.

Butch

Butch

"Mark all forums read" IS working properly on Firefox.

"Mark all forums read" IS NOT working properly on IE 7 or 8. Unsure of which one I have.

Butch

S. Jersey

WH854

Back Button Works now for me :omg:

Chas

Duff

On Comcast and IE7 right now on a Dell Inspiron E1705; everything is working perfectly....but I've not had the problems others have been experiencing. I was on CAT-5 to our college's network and IE8 on and off throughout the day on a new HP desktop machine - no problems there either. :D

Duff :omg:

WH854

nylyon before you removed the visitors secton I was getting an error message down by the start buttom.The page would hang a little bit then show the rest of the page. After you removed it every thing is normal for me now.IE8 Windows 7 Home Preimum 3 gigs ram.

Chas