Sign in to follow this  
faster

The best WH to buy

faster

If you where looking to buy a wheel horse today something that could do everything you could think of what would you suggest? And also cost from the highend new to the used with all the need repairs. Is there a middle of the road? :omg:

PS. this may have been covered I did a quick search.

sawhorse

The higher horsepower wheel horses will run the bigger mowing decks and blow

more snow.... other than that really any wheel horse can do it all. If you buy a

horse with a vertical shaft motor, make sure it comes with all the things it does

because there are parts no longer available and not that common.

C-Series14

C-141 8-Speed or a C-161 8-Speed...period. :omg:

rickv1957

A C-series or a 300,400,500 series all great,well all of them! :omg: Rick

stevebo

I have or have owned most engine and tranny combos and my choice is a 14 or 16hp Kohler single cylinder as it has all the power you need and the motors are easy to work on the parts are common. I am partial to the 8 speed manual trannys. My favorite machine for a worker was a 416-8 Kohler single that I sold a few months ago. The only reason I sold it was I recently restored a new 314-8 with less than 300 hours. Good luck-

Raider12

I have a 520 Hydro and love all the horse power that it offers. But on a day to day do it all is my 1970 Raider 12 with a 12 hp Kohler. It can do just about anything you would want. If I did a LOT of snow blowing or tilling, I may wish for the 14 or 16 hosre power Kohlers. The single cylinder Kohlers are hard to beat.

Denver

Irv

I also recommend any of the C series or 300, 400, 500 series, 10-16 hp. Easy to get parts and great all-around machines.

Iggy68

I say any horse running or not. :omg:

Docwheelhorse

If I had to pick ONE and ONE only... it would be a 1973--197? ummm I don't know the last year :omg: SOLID ENGINE MOUNT 16 Hp C with either an 8 speed or an automatic... C160

Tony

MalMac

Of the tractors I have. I would say a 78 or 79 C-141 or C-161. The most used tractor I have is a C-81. I use it for all the utility work around here.

Tim

W9JAB

I'll probably take a lot of heat for saying this, but from watching the posts, It looks like I would stay away from the Hydrostatic transmissions they seem to have a lot of repairs of pumps and lines needed. :omg:

wh5208speed

I am partial to the 8 Speeds. I like the 1978-79 C-Series (C-141 & C-161). Old school look, simple, versitle, and reliable. The 314-8 416-8 and 520-8 are also the same machines...but with the newer design and sheetmetal. :omg:

Thad (Ohio)

C-Series14

I am partial to the 8 Speeds. I like the 1978-79 C-Series (C-141 & C-161). Old school look, simple, versitle, and reliable. The 314-8 416-8 and 520-8 are also the same machines...but with the newer design and sheetmetal. :D

Thad (Ohio)

This guy knows what he is talking about!!! :omg:

bo dawg

I agree, any 70's C's, :omg: 14 or 16 hp.

I perfer a 16hp but even the 12hp is a powerful engine. I like an auto to mow with, but I also use the auto for everything else. I wish I had an 8 speed to do the plow work, that would be best.

:D

wh5208speed

This guy knows what he is talking about!!!

Mike,

I don't know if my wife would agree with that!!

Thad

6wheeler

I'll make a claim for the blackhoods.... My c-165 8spd mows with its 48" deck and steers very well. It also plows and discs and cultivates a rather large garden without complaints. It spreads fertilizer and aeriates and seeds over 3 1/2 acres, and pulls the trailer whenever it is asked to do so.(much more than my teenagers will ever do, and its older.) Its been a great machine for me.. Pat