Sign in to follow this  
CochinsRus

Battery

CochinsRus

Has anyone ever converted over to a standard lawn and garden battery instead of the odd size original on a 1976 C-160. Will it work (I know that I will need to change the cable ends)?

MikesRJ

W-H specified a 24 Amp Hour battery (pn: 104962) for your machine.

I don't know off the top of my head what the Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) would be for that battery, but I do know that that is the most important spec as to which battery you install.

Someone else will chime in with more info.

CochinsRus

What does this part number change over to on a battery say at Advance or some other parts store. I called Advance and they cant cross over this part number.

Old Dave

I did it on the 69 Charger about 5 yrs. ago when the price on the correct battery went above $55. The lawn and garden batteries work fine but are smaller in size and you have to shim them so it doesn't bounce around in the tray. I use a couple of pieces of wood and it works fine and the lawn batteries are about $24 depending on where you buy them.

Dave

CochinsRus

I can get one from advance that has 365 CCA but the post are different on the battery. My current Battery is a round Post and the new ones are flat post.

brybrychrismer

if it has car style clamps take the bolt that tightens them out open the clamp far enough to go over the lawn mower battery line up the holes on the battery and the clamp and put the bolt and nut on should work just fine. :omg:

MikesRJ

I checked with my local auto parts store, who crossed the number, and they recommended an Interstate SP30 (commercial grade, 290 CCA) battery as the direct replacement. This one too has flat tabs, but most auto parts stores have the flat tab converters for the original cable ends.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eSto...arden+-+230+CCA

rickv1957

Although the little battery will work,the original style battery will normally outlast three small ones,Rick

Roger from southern Iowa

That is a fact Rick. :omg:

tgranthamfd

Did you try Napa? I think that is where my brother found his at, think it was a direct replacement. He has it posted on here somewhere. If I can find it, I will add the link.

CochinsRus

looked at my battery today and it has the exide 22NF battery except it is branded by a local business here which sells them for $54.95 and exide wants $79.00. They have the same warr. as the exide except a lot better price.

rickv1957

You will be glad that you purchased the proper battery,Rick

markslawnmowerworld

When a customer has a piece of equipment in our shop......we laugh at those stupid wallmart everlast batteries......we call them neverlasts.....lol

You got a customer complaining their tractor won't start.....Oh and it has a new battery in it as well.....yeah right.....first thing i do is look at the c.c.a cold cranking amps.......I see 160 c.c.a and ask them if they want a real battery. Say like 390 c.c.a and tell them how to properly store it through the winter...

so pay $14.95 for a wallmart special or buy oem or comparable oem.

and save yourself future starting problems. :omg:

Operator

Yup! Get a real battery. I went to Auto Value today and got a 690cca for $49.00 2 year warranty. Big battery for a big tractor. :omg:

Randy

gwgdog66

Currently I have the 300 something CCA Lawn and Garden battery in both my 1975 C-160 and C-100. I've been replacing every third season usually at the most inconvenient of times. I agree with the others, the bigger battery will pay off in the long run. Hind site always being 20/20.

When these go south I'm replacing with the 51R or the 22NF. I'll measure my battery box, and both batteries first to see which one fits best. I know the guys at local Napa, and can get the retired military discount price. :omg: They have looked it up and have found that both batteries are listed for the 1974 and 1975 C-100 thru C-160's. If they measure out the same, and not much difference in warranty, I'm going with the bigger CCA's

My brother's 1974 C-160 battery has been in there for what looks like years even before he got it.

CochinsRus

On my 76 C-160 the Exide 22NF battery fits perfect and also has lip built into the battery that is just under the battery tray plate that hold the battery in. this keeps the battery from bouncing out, the battery is held in very tight anyhow with the battery tray. With the 22NF battery on mine it is a very good fit alway around.

gwgdog66

On my 76 C-160 the Exide 22NF battery fits perfect and also has lip built into the battery that is just under the battery tray plate that hold the battery in. this keeps the battery from bouncing out, the battery is held in very tight anyhow with the battery tray. With the 22NF battery on mine it is a very good fit alway around.

:omg: Thanks

rick

I ended up using a lawn & garden battery in my C-100. The battery box was not long enough for the 22 NF battery. I use the best NAPA L&G battery, and have had no problems, the moderate climate here may help the longevity some.