Sign in to follow this  
whfan74

Wheel Horse Walk Behind Mower

whfan74

Did Wheel Horse manufacture a walk behind mower in the mid to late 80's? I came across a walk behind tonight that has the maroon stripe decal on the front. Hard bagger on the back. It also had a crank to lift and lower the entire cut adjustment from the middle of the handle instead of raising and lowering each wheel seperately.

Was it really that dark out tonight or am I suffering from a lack of sleep?

Any help would be appreciated...........did a search on here as well as a google search and nothing.

wh500special

Yep, they sold 'em.

Try model numbers 04-35BR01 and 14-40BR01. I think they were called the "Vac Mower". I assume that they were made by MacLane for WH like some of their other products.

The reason you don't see many is probably the price. They were $350-$450 back in 1985.

I have one, but would go for another. If you decide to pass it up be sure to let me know about it.

Steve

whfan74

Steve,

You are always a wealth of information. If the guy will part with it.......which I have a good feeling he will........I was going to snag it for the collection. First one I have seen.............heck most the horse stuff I find is the first I have seen.

Thank you for the info!

rickv1957

Scott,I have a NOS set of hubcaps for that mower!,Rick

whfan74

Rick........

Nice! I am hoping to bring it home sometime this week.

evanloock

I have a 1970 brochure and they also has 2 models then, a push/recoil start model and an electric start self-propelled model. I don't have the literature here so I can't look up any additional info at present.

wh500special

No charge.

You know, the only reason I'm helpful to you is because I have my eye on that E141 of yours :omg:

I've not seen many of the walk behind mowers. The one I have is a push model, but they also had a 6-speed self propelled model too. Really quite a nice design with the wheels mounted on real axles with bearings and the hand crank adjusts the height of all four on the fly. But they are extremely heavy suckers.

If you go way back to the WH/Reo days, they offered walk behinds then too. They even had cast decks, under deck exhaust, and I think proprietary Reo engines (edit: Eric beat me to the punch while I was typing).

I also have the edger from the same mid eighties vintage as the mower you're looking at. It too is a McLane that's been rebadged as a WH. Apparently JD sold that same edger as well and I am starting to believe that the recent JD walk behinds might be McLanes as well since they have the same look.

I don't think they really exist, but also listed in the product price lists from 1985 and 1986 are some self propelled reel mowers. I've never seen a manual, brochure, or other reference to them so I think they may be like the C-171...something that was planned but never materialized.

You're really getting me miffed by the way :D ...stumbling onto a walk mower and a possible RJ-25 in the same week? You must be living right! Keep it up.

Steve