Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

The B-100 Project Begins

rickv1957

Bob,looks like your moving right along!! :D Rick

MikesRJ

... Just kidding. I have a very loving and understanding wife. ...

DISCRETION: The better part of valor! CYA'ing there Bob?

DMK855

Looks Good Bob!! :D

rmaynard

... Just kidding. I have a very loving and understanding wife. ...

DISCRETION: The better part of valor! CYA'ing there Bob?

After 38 years, I've learned to do this :D

Hey Mike, did you go to Sherwin-Williams?

Bob

MikesRJ

Bob,

Something else came up, will try to get down there again tomorrow.

KC9KAS

Good looking resto project. Keep the photos coming!

VinsRJ

Looking like a great resto. Keep the progress pics coming!

Ken B

She's looking good. What paint did you decide on?

rmaynard

She's looking good. What paint did you decide on?

Ken,

That is still up in the air. I started painting sub-assemblies and the frame with Krylon Cherry Red simply because I could do it a piece at a time. The Cherry Red is an almost spot-on match to the Flame Red urethane that I had been looking at from Kirker. I can't devote a lot of time to painting everything in one sitting, and using an acrylic urethane requires that everything be ready to shoot due to it's 2 hour pot life. And set-up and clean-up of spray equipment is a hassle for individual small items.

I have used Krylon for most of my adult life, and I think it the best spray paint for the home owner, but I am finding as other have found, that the "rattle cans" take forever to cure on a Wheel Horse. The frame and transmission have been painted now for over a week, and when I went to adjust the steering support assembly last night, I hit the frame with my wrench and there was a nice scratch through to the primer.

So, I guess I'm back to square one. I am going to let everything that is already painted sit another week, and then I am going to shoot a coat of epoxy primer, followed by some type of industrial or automotive acrylic.

Mike McGuire (MikesRJ) and I, are looking at a water-borne, industrial epoxy from Sherwin-Williams. If that type of paint can be used, imagine how much simpler cleanup would be. I've used water-borne urethane finishes on tables and chairs and they take a lot of abuse. The product holds up very well and after it is fully cured, is every bit a tough and hard as solvent based finishes.

I'll keep you posted.

Bob

Ken B

I hear ya about the clean up, it takes more time too clean the gun properly then it does to spray the parts.

I used the I.H. Restoration Series paint with hardener thru my spray gun on my recently restored RJ 58. It also takes a few weeks to fully cure. Once it did cure I noticed that the paint on the foot rests on my RJ hasn't worn off or scratched at all. In the past when I used the Resto Series thru the spray can it would scratch or wear thru in no time.

At my local TSC the Resto Series is on clearence at 12.99 a quart. I hope clearence doesn't mean they won't be carrying it anymore! What I really like about the Resto Series paint is that it is easily wet sanded and buffed out to a high gloss. You do some nice body work eh, not bad for a course you took 30 yrs. ago! :D

rmaynard

I used the I.H. Restoration Series paint with hardener thru my spray gun on my recently restored RJ 58. It also takes a few weeks to fully cure. Once it did cure I noticed that the paint on the foot rests on my RJ hasn't worn off or scratched at all. In the past when I used the Resto Series thru the spray can it would scratch or wear thru in no time.

I like the concept of the Valspar paint, but I don't like the color. I bought a quart about a month ago, took a couple of drops from the can and applied it to my test piece of OEM paint, and it actually looked orange compared to the test piece.

af1a49fc.jpg

It is hard to get a true picture of what the eye sees, but in direct sunlight, that dot looks much different than it does in the picture.

The hardener is what makes the paint more durable, increases the gloss, and makes it quicker drying, but the color? Also, it is still just an oil paint, and oil paints will fade and chalk over time.

I know it is the most used paint among the members here, but I just can't get my mind around the color.

Bob

rmaynard

Update --

Despite some setbacks, the project is making progress. I acquired a K241S-46756D engine that seems to run real nice. I have tabled the K241AS that I was going to rebuild and modify to fit the frame.

351dc554.jpg

The rest of the sheet metal is ready to be painted and assembled. Just need to get a steering wheel, seat, and some new tires. Have 4 rims going to the sandblaster on Tuesday.

I think it is starting to look like a tractor (my wife calls it my go-kart).

Just remember, this is being built from pieces of a B-80, C-101, C-120, C-160, & C-161.

Since it is being powered by a 10HP K241S, it will officially become a B-100.

Bob

rickv1957

Looking good there Bob, :D Rick

MikesRJ

Coming along nicely, Bob. :D

There's something to be said about restoring the rims first during any restoration/refresh project. If done first, then all the other parts can be restored in re-assembly order and you only have to install them once. This reduces the chances of chipping paint when taking them on and off multiple times. Just a thought ...

dclarke

lookin good Bob, :D

rmaynard

Coming along nicely, Bob. :USA:

There's something to be said about restoring the rims first during any restoration/refresh project. If done first, then all the other parts can be restored in re-assembly order and you only have to install them once. This reduces the chances of chipping paint when taking them on and off multiple times. Just a thought ...

Chipping paint? Did someone say something about chipping paint? :D

rmaynard

After much hair pulling and aggravation, the B-100 skeleton has been repainted. I sanded all the previously Krylon-painted surfaces, cleaned with a surface prep solution, and repainted with Kirker, Flame Red, single-stage acrylic urethane.

Man does that stuff go on nice.

162c976a.jpg

After the bones were done, I painted the K241S engine and tins.

523bfc12.jpg

I am amazed at the glossy shine that this Kirker paint gives without buffing.

The dash housing has 2 mediums coats. It is sitting under trees, and the reflection is that of the trees and sky above it. It is not wet. The paint is dry to touch in 20 minutes and can be buffed in 8 hours. This picture was taken 5 hours after painting.

d2131ee4.jpg

Overall, I am very pleased with the looks of the paint. Now only time will tell how is holds up when I do the ding & scratch tests.

Hood, fender pan, and belt cover are getting their final coat of epoxy primer, and will be painted in a couple of days.

More pics to follow later.

Bob

massey

Quality work there, nice job. :D

whfan74

Great looking restore there Bob! I appreciate all of the pictures and the detailed accounts of what is happening!

Keep up the great work!

rmaynard

Had the tractor out in the sun today, and much to my surprise, the Kirker Flame Red looks identical to Valspar Restoration Series IH Red. Boo. :USA: I didn't want that much orange. Not that it's a bad color, and in the shade I think it looks great, but it's not quite what I was going for.

Too late to turn back now. Full speed ahead and on to Arendtsville. :D

Bob

MikesRJ

It's RED! :D

rickv1957

Shiney and Red! :D Rick

HorseFixer

Bob Fantastic Job! :D

rmaynard

Update...

As of this morning, here is where the B-100 stands.

All painting is complete with the exception of the hood and fender pan.

All the "bones" of the tractor are assembled, the engine is installed, and a re-made wiring harness is installed.

93069e99.jpg

cceff420.jpg

5280d1b4-1.jpg

73764253.jpg

Hope to have the hood and fender pan done by Wednesday. Time is getting short.

Bob

JimD

Bob it looks great. Very nice work on the wiring harness! :D