Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Electro update part II

nylyon

If you've been following the "will the Electro live" saga, the carb has been dipped and rebuilt and I recently purchased a new set of points and a condenser which fixed the spark problem. It is pouring rain here in S.E. NY so working outside is not an option. Well the tractor has spark, compression and a rebuilt carb, but was having a fuel delivery problem.

Before tearing into the fuel pump, I decided to really work the gas tank petcock which is very stiff and could probably use to be rebuilt or replaced. Anyway, I got it opened up, checked for gas at the pump and it does. I disconnected the line from the carb and checked for gas there and it has it there as well. So now we have spark, compression and gas in a rebuilt carb. It took a little while to get it going, but it runs and it runs strong very strong! There is NO blue smoke and no internal engine noises. This is a smooth running K301 :thumbs:

Sean and I ran it for about as long as we felt safe, big garage door is opened and Sean was standing by the door with the fresh air in case anyone is concerned :thumbs: I suspect there is still some carb work to be done on the idle circuit, but all in all I am quite pleased.

I have the trans in "push to tow" mode so it wouldn't end up in the living room, and the even still, the hydraulics worked as did it going forward. If it stops raining, I'll put a permanent battery in it and take it for a spin.

Jury is still out on what will become of the Electro, but at least we know that the engine is good! Next step is to road test it. That's all for now, got my fill of CO for the day!

kpinnc

Great news Karl! Glad you got some good results.

But don't run the tranny with the valve in "tow" position. Block the wheels up instead. You can damage the Sundstrand....

Kevin

nylyon

I'll move the lever now. I had a fear of an Electro crashing through the garage wall and wanted to take that precaution. Hope it stops raining so it can get some street time (grass is way too wet!)

Sparky

Thats awsome news Karl. So is Sean interested in tractors? My son is starting to loose interest. He does like to plow snow still so thats good news.

I have also been told not to operate the Sundstrands in tow mode and to NEVER turn the tow/drive lever with the motor runnin. Dont know why but thats what I heard, might just be an old wives tale.

Mike...........

nylyon

Sean says he's interested and to a point he is but he's still a little young. The valve is turned now, and I ran it again. The hydro does indeed work, it goes forward and backwards and the neutral works as well :thumbs:

Rollerman

Karl your kidding....it can run with the tractor in neutral & it doesn't creep?!! :thumbs:

Thats sounding more & more like a keeper?

If ya need parts for the C120 don't sacrifice a well manered Electro...we'll get the parts train going.

Electro's are not my favorite.... :thumbs: ...but it sounds like this one is a keeper.

nylyon

No creeping at all even at full throttle! If the tractor is to stay whole it will probably get sold as it's intent was a parts donor to the C-120 project, never to keep. It's not my favorite style either, everyone knows my favorite :thumbs:

kj4kicks

WTG Karl..... now we need to find you a 160 !!

TT

Regardless of what you end up doing with it, Karl, I'm glad you hear you conquered the Electro ! (need a "tough guy" smilie)

(I wish I could say that for a contemptible little 210-5 that's about ready to go back outside again! :thumbs:)

It IS your tractor and you bought it for a particular reason. (and a good-running K-301 for under $100 is a rarity these days!)

Just remember -- I could still use the PTO stuff. :thumbs:

baerpath

I've got a whole C120 for parts and a couple C145's for the hydralics if you need parts . Not much more than the hood latch :thumbs:

T-Mo

Congratulations, Karl. To me it sounds like a keeper, but it's your tractor. Maybe you can do as much as you're willing to do to it and sell it to get the parts for your C120? I just don't like to see a good tractor in pieces! :thumbs:

nylyon

Today was really dedicated to demolition work in the bathroom, removing all the old tile and backing board. Cleaned everything up really nice so it's ready for construction starting hopefully tomorrow. But this is a Wheel Horse forum, and I did get in some Electro seat time. I started the Electro (still starts rough, but that will get fixed another day possibly) brought it outside for a trip up and down the driveway. The engine runs very smooth at throttle and the hydro is quiet, but it didn't go as fast as the C-120 does. It seemed strong going up the hill, maybe I'm not running full throttle :thumbs: Anyway, it drives. The PO replaced the front tie rod ends, and the tires are seriously toed out, perhaps that is part of the speed problem too?

Well, it's put back in the garage for now and it's back to the bathroom work. Have to get to Home Depot tomorrow to get the backing board and mastic to start to re-assemble the walls.

nylyon

Oh, I am willing to trade a running, working 1968 Electro AND a 1977 C-120 Automatic with hydraulic lift for a 74 - 75 C-160 automatic :thumbs:

Rollerman

Wish I could help you Karl...I don't know of anybody who would have that model of C series. :thumbs:

Kelly

I know where there is a running driving C-160 auto mid 70's with hydr. lift and a sad 42'SD deck not sure what he want for it, coulpe hundred from that guy I'm sure would own it, he's a scraper, and no he's not scraping it, he's not that dumb. But it's here in MI.

TT

Too bad you couldn't talk some sense in to this person, Karl.

It would be nice if he'd get his camera fixed too. :thumbs:

nylyon

I had seen that too but there isn't a mention if it is a hydro or not, and he says it has a 14hp engine, not the 16.

Anyway, I took it out again tonight and let Brittany and Sean drive it, they really liked the ride.

kj4kicks

Hey Karl.... I know of a guy.....

Wanna play "Let's Make A Deal" ? This one will be cheaper that the '75, since it was complete to start with.

P3075459.JPG It's the one on the left.

Email me...

baerpath

I had seen that too but there isn't a mention if it is a hydro or not, and he says it has a 14hp engine, not the 16.

Anyway, I took it out again tonight and let Brittany and Sean drive it, they really liked the ride.

Karl most people don't know the dif between engines. The 1045 was listed as a 12hp. <_< :thumbs: