Sign in to follow this  
coronadude

yet another new virginian

coronadude

Hi All I,m new and have a question

First i came by my wh by hand me down my father in law gave to me before he died with the request i keep it running and keep using.

Well it,s a 79 c-105 a little rough but a work horse i have pushed 57 dump truck loads of dirt leveled yard rake driveway and take down trees as you can see i use it hard no mowing just hard labor now for question

The wheel hub keep sliding on axle then quits moving so i have to take wheel off and hub put wedge back in and reattach all is there a bushing that can be placed between the hub and transmission housing to keep this from happening i have replaced the hub on one side because of wear or am i working it too hard

Thank for any help

JIM B

mavfreak

B) woking it to hard maybe but they'll take alot you'll know if its to much. It sounds to me that maybe the keyway on the shaft and/or hub is bad. if hub then you can replace that but shaft is differn't. The shaft can be replaced to but have to tear down transmission.

maybe some pictures of the hub and shaft might help us. And someone else out there might have had same problem coudle give more insight.

markslawnmowerworld

B)

W9JAB
Matorhorse002-1-1.jpg

bitten

Hello and B)

As far as working it to hard I dought that, it is a Wheel Horse and they can do a lot of work.

If the key ways are good check that you have two set screws on the hub, they should be 45 deg. from each other. If not you can drill and tap for one. It might be a bad set screw if so just replace.

If you have a bad key way on your shaft, I have heard of people cutting a new one with a dremel. You can also take it to a machine shop and they can do it. If the key way on the hub is bad the machine shop might be able to fix it but another hub isn't to bad to come bye.

Good luck with it and make your late father-in-law proud.

Coadster32

I will echo what bitten haas stated. I have machined new keyways without taking the tranny apart. BTW- B)

rmaynard

My B-100 has 2 sets of set screws on each hub. The set screws are placed at 90 degrees from each other, not 45. Each set screw has a lock nut run onto it before screwing it into the hub. After the set screw is torqued down, the lock nut is then tightened down. This prevents the set screw from backing out. Torque value on set screws is 28 - 35 ft. lbs.

Bob

ps. B)

JimD

B)

Roger from southern Iowa

B)

rickv1957

Hello and B) Rick

mcwh1950

B) Are you sure you c-105 is a 1979.

bitten

BOB is correct it is sopposed to be 90 deg. not 45

Suburban 550

B) Jim.

coronadude

B)

thank you sir

coronadude

Matorhorse002-1-1.jpg

it look about the same shape as mine nice pic and thank you sir

JIM B

MikesRJ

B)

coronadude

Hello and B)

As far as working it to hard I dought that, it is a Wheel Horse and they can do a lot of work.

If the key ways are good check that you have two set screws on the hub, they should be 45 deg. from each other. If not you can drill and tap for one. It might be a bad set screw if so just replace.

If you have a bad key way on your shaft, I have heard of people cutting a new one with a dremel. You can also take it to a machine shop and they can do it. If the key way on the hub is bad the machine shop might be able to fix it but another hub isn't to bad to come bye.

Good luck with it and make your late father-in-law proud.

have replaced one hub last year look like another one this year. Have thought about drilling a second set screw hole and going into the axle with this one any thoughts about this idea? shaft look good have small work shop at house so may see what i can do as far as drilling

Thanks JIM B

coronadude

I will echo what bitten haas stated. I have machined new keyways without taking the tranny apart. BTW- B)

thank you sir have one set screw now may try to make second one at 90 deg off

JIM B

coronadude

My B-100 has 2 sets of set screws on each hub. The set screws are placed at 90 degrees from each other, not 45. Each set screw has a lock nut run onto it before screwing it into the hub. After the set screw is torqued down, the lock nut is then tightened down. This prevents the set screw from backing out. Torque value on set screws is 28 - 35 ft. lbs.

Bob

ps. B)

thank you sir and thanks for torque setting. that is the way the one set screw is set up now but may try a second one at 90 deg

thanks JIM B

coronadude

B)

Thank you sir

JIM B

coronadude

B)

yes sir it is a work horse and now only brand I,ll replace it with if i have too. like the bucket on yours is that manual lift ?

JIM B

coronadude

Hello and B) Rick

thank you sir

JIM B

VinsRJ

B)

coronadude

B) Are you sure you c-105 is a 1979.

thank you sir and had to check dad always said it was a 79 but looked at orig bill of sale and it is a 80-81 c-105 8 speed sold on 3/18/81

JIM B

coronadude

B) Jim.

thank you sir

JIM B