Sign in to follow this  
c1651980

1981 C-165 mower deck

c1651980

The mower deck on my 81 c165 was replaced before I got it. I am convinced that the attachmatic assembly on the deck is not properly centered. Does anyone have info surrounding how to properly align this system on a new deck skin?? B)

6wheeler

What makes you think that? Can't lift it? Won't stay up? What size deck do you have?

c1651980

First of all, when the deck is in the raised position, the left side of the deck remains down. I have adjusted, tweeked, you name it. I also took a measurement on an older c series at a dealership a while ago and noticed that there is a 14" distance between the rear mounts of the deck. Mine was almost 15". I was gonna move this into the proper width, but wasn't sure which side to move, or whether to move both... Then with a few measurements, It looks as though this 1 inch difference is to the right side.

wheel horse 1045

try taking some pictures and posting them and then sombody might spot the problem

WH854

Is it possible you do not have both sides of the lift bars hocked into the tack-a-matic correctly?go here and put these model# in might give you an idea what is wrong with the lift on your mower. (05-42MS02) (05-48MS02) (05-48XS02)

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

Hope this will help!!! BTW I own a C-105 & C-165 Auto with 42 inch decks.

Chas

c1651980

Apparently I cannot upload my pics to this site?? I will continue to try.

chazm

Hello & :party:

If you go to the Start up Guide - Karl has a thread on postings pics with photobucket

It's a pain the azz at 1st , till ya get use to it

Pics will be a big help - good luck

Chaz B)

c1651980

Thanks Chas, this is helping. The only confusion now, is that the pic on 05-48MS02 shows only one lift bar, but shows the correct front bar(connection to tachmatic), whereas pic on 05-48XS02 shows the two lift bars (which I have) but shows a different front bar. I am now wondering if this is even the correct system.... Also, the 05-48XS02 shows a lift rod that I do not have!! It is #31 on the sheet (p/n 102029) If this is so, and I do need this, do you know where this rod hooks to??

Thanks so much, you've been a lot of help.

WH854

That lift rod is what hooks to your lift arm under neath your tractor to raise the deck up and down, it is adjustable. My deck does not require P/n 102029 ,it is a 42 inch deck you may need it if your deck is a 48 inch deck.

Chas.

c1651980

Picture005.jpg

Hopefully I have this pic thing right. This is a view from the rear of the deck.

My main lift rod arm hooks into the right rail. Nothing ,at this time, hooks into the left rail. Originally I had nothing from the rear left rail down to the rear wheels. A dealer told me it wouldn't have any effect on the lift, but I really believe it does. I temporarily have a chain welded between the two, until I can find the correst link rod.

c1651980

Now, I am wondering if this system was even designed to carry the deck that I have. I am measuring clear across the deck, from the chute to the other side and measuring approx. 52". I'm guessing this is the correct way to measure. According to the model search on toro.com, This deck didn't come along until the 90's, which makes me think that I should have a smaller deck. Would that p/n 102029 possibly hook to the other "flag" that is on my lift collar?

WH854

The dealer is right1 Where you have the chain and bolt There is a P/N 102035 Leveler Rod P/N 6739 Trunnion, all this does is rais and lower the rear wheels. If you look at the picture of the lift on the deck their should be a part#104769 (17) Leveler Assembly with holes drilled in it. This is where you lift should fit in. the pin at the very end of the lift part on your tractor.

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

Put this Model# in 05-48XS02 for mower this Model# 01-16KE02 for Lift Linkage on tractor. P/N 102373 (27) The pin is at the very end This fits in a hole in P/N 104769 (17) This raises the deck up and down. (Whew) hope I am clear on this.

Chas

c1651980

YEP! Clear as mud! HAHA I actually figured it out (took a while!) That is exactly how things are configured on mine. Which brings me back to thinking that the assembly on my deck is not properly centered. After taking a few measurements, with little to no idea, I have a feeling that this assembly might be shifted to the right about 3/4 of an inch. But, without knowing what true center on this deck is, I am just kinda taking a shot in the dark.

dgjks6

is the bracket that attached to the lift lever upside down? I do not have my deck at work with me but I think the long bar that he chain is on is on the wrong side?

c1651980

Not gonna say it isn't a possibilty, but as far as I know at this point, the mounting that I have is correct. The one reason for me believing it is right, is that the rear deck wheel rod connection is lined up with the left side of the deck.

bobert94

Are you have the front cross bar on the deck is all the way into tachamatic on the tractor and the latch is closed and make sure the v notch on the front bar of mower deck is up and on the cross bar in the tachamatic. There is no centering adjustment on the deck that i'm aware of B)

c1651980

Yep, all is well there. I really do think it is the way this assembly was mounted incorrectly on the deck skin. I noticed that the wheels across the front have been welded on, not bolted, and that the rear wheels had several different issues that you could tell was result of bad re-fab. This , in a sense , is the reason I believe the lifting assembly has not been installed exactly to specs.

C-Series14

Just to clear a few things up...decks are measured by blade length. Your 48" deck will have 16 1/16" blades. As far as deck model numbers, 05-48XS02 is for a D-160 or D-200 tractor. The 05-48MS02 is right for yours, in 1981. The pic looks correct, you just need the clevis and the "L" rod....

Now, in the pic, the arms with the rubber bumpers are installed wrong, one is inside the rear mount while the other is on the outside. Bothe should be on the outside...

porkchop

You must have a d series deck. The brackets are bolted to the deck are wider. The deck skin should be the same. All you need is the bracket system off a c series. It should bolt on the same bolt holes but it,s not as wide. I have seen this before.

c1651980

In response to Mike, Thanks for the help. It's funny you noticed the rear brackets being on opposite sides. The reasoning is, when this thing was initially put together, the arms were on the outside, but spaced the assembly out so far that until I pulled them apart, I never new that the bar going through them had holes for cotter keys!!!!! That should explain just how loose this thing was at first. So, then I moved them both inside and then the right side was off so bad it wouldn't even move!!! Thats when I took a measurement at the dealer and realized that the gap between the rear brackets should be 14" not the 15" that I have. I moved those just to satisfy getting things straight for the time being, GOOD EYE!!

WH854

Boy am I glad some one came a long and cleared some of his problems up, and I learned something as well. B) Mike & porkchop

Chas

c1651980

Sorry if I've wore you out Chas...hehe. I have been on this for two years! Seems as though I have to work on this thing every time I use it. I've had several problems with the pto too. I often have the deck stop on me after about ten feet of mowing, but after two years and several dollars spent, I think I may finally have a grip on that. But, now my main focus is on the deck issues. I would hate to give up, not in my nature, plus this beast was a gift from my father in law, and it has a new kohler command 18hp motor. Enough with my woes though, just wanted to let you know I do appreciate everything you have done today!

WH854

No problem I don't know if I was much help I think Mike deserves

the atta boys.

Chas

TT

Not sure if this is worth 1000 words or not, but here's a picture of mine:

65-48MS02.jpg