Sign in to follow this  
Copperswilly

How old is my Wheel Horse...195?

Copperswilly

I have had this Wheel Horse for my entire childhood I'm now 39 yrs old and I would like to find out what year this tractor is. My Father bought two of these that were identical but sold one. If my memory serves me I remember my Father saying it was a 1950's model. The only numbered plate I can find on the tractor is riveted to the top of the transmission. This is the ID number A3-9. I have been all over the internet trying to look this up but I haven't gotten anywhere. I figured I would join this forum and ask you folks. This tractor was completely original and just had a fresh facelift when hurricane Isabel came through putting the tractor under 6 feet of water. I wasnt able to get to the tractor for many days after the flood because of all the damage. The original 3hp kohler engine was destroyed by the salt water so I installed a fresh 5 hp engine. everything else on the tractor is original to me even the tires. Do you guys have any idea what year this is?

pumper.atv

First off B) and there are many people here that can help, but there is one problem :party:

Copperswilly

Thanks For the welcome

I'll add pictures...Do you guys use photobucket to pull pictures from. I added a John deere snow thrower to it for fun it had a plow but I can get pics of just the tractor.

Roger from southern Iowa

Yes, pics will help solve the mystery. AND :party:

Lots of very wise WH people here, you are at THE place for accurate info. B)

Roger from southern Iowa

Sorry, yes I think most use photobucket.

dclarke

hello and B) you'll be amazed how much these guys know about :party:

fireman

Welcome.

This is what the most popular theory says:

The number on the transmission case should be casted into the case not riveted. That number means the transmission was cast in January of 1959. Your tractor is probably a 1958 Ride-Away Junior. Use the search feature at the top of the page. There has been a lot of discussion on the topic.

Gene_S

First off :party:

If you look in the Wheel Horse Picture Gallery here on redsquare your sure to find a tractor that looks like yours. Most everyone uses photobucket and there is a section here also to help you post your photo's... B)

rickv1957

Hello and B) Rick

rmaynard

Thanks For the welcome

I'll add pictures...Do you guys use photobucket to pull pictures from. I added a John deere snow thrower to it for fun it had a plow but I can get pics of just the tractor.

B)

I think most of us use Photobucket. If you have any problems loading the pictures, let someone know and we will help you. There is a lot of experience here because

:party:

Bob

MikesRJ

Welcome.

This is what the most popular theory says:

The number on the transmission case should be casted into the case not riveted. That number means the transmission was cast in January of 1959. Your tractor is probably a 1958 Ride-Away Junior. Use the search feature at the top of the page. There has been a lot of discussion on the topic.

I agree with Fireman. Sounds to be an RJ-58 to me as well, based on the casting number on the transmission. Although the casting number, on first glance appears to be riveted to the case, that is an illusion. The way in which the casting company mounted the plate in the casting mold makes it appear to be attached. In fact it is not, and really is part of the casting itself. Does your tractor look similar to the image below (minus the missing engine of course), or any in the attached link?

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1024

045d.jpg

Copperswilly

Mikes RJ is a very very close example of what mine looks like. With mine the seat is differant and mine has a tool box underseat. Please forgive the John Deere snow thrower attached but I couldn't locate a Wheel Horse thrower. I rebuilt the snow thrower to work with the horse, works great. I had rebuilt a Craftsman plow that I had on it but I wanted a snowthrower.

I'm on the Willys cj3b page I have a 54 so this board is very easy for me to use. Like the cj3b page the help and responses on here are awesome.

Thanks again for the welcome and help, Chris

WHtractor.jpg

WHtractor2.jpg

WHtractor3.jpg

WHtractor4.jpg

It is casted into the tranny housing, thanks

WHtractor5.jpg

MikesRJ

Definitely an RJ-58. No question in my mind. It appears to have been heavily modified over the years to suit needed purposes, but a great place to start if you're thinking of restoring it. Looks like ti is pretty much in tact and in really good structural condition.

The throttle has been replaced with the pull style on it now (and its on the wrong side). You're missing a transmission belt cover which is not uncommon. A bunch of holes drilled in various places (part of the modifications), and a few "extra parts" were added here and there along the way. Otherwise you've got a great piece of personal history on your hands.

Great piece. B)

TT

Couldn't it also be a 59? B)

MikesRJ
Couldn't it also be a 59?

Copperswilly

Hi again can you still get parts for these like tires rims decals etc. While snow plowing the 4 ft of snow we got this year I lost the front clips that hold the wheels on and well the front wheels are off of wheel barrels...close but not correct. I was always taught if you dont have make do with what you do have.

I know you guys dont mind a classic so I wanted to show you my favorite classic. I've done a frame off on this 1954 Willys cj3b. It's not a Wheel Horse tractor but they were used for farming.

flipout1.jpg

TT

Were these Uni-Drives installed in tractors immediately after the center sections were cast?

What if they weren't installed in a tractor until 6 or 8 months later?

The multiple-position lift lever quadrant was not used on all RJ-59 models. (I think that's what you mean by "selector cluster")

MikesRJ

Were these Uni-Drives installed in tractors immediately after the center sections were cast?

What if they weren't installed in a tractor until 6 or 8 months later?

The multiple-position lift lever quadrant was not used on all RJ-59 models. (I think that's what you mean by "selector cluster")

I suspect a little trolling here, but here goes ... (if you are trolling I would suggest barking up a different tree).

Yes and No. Only 1 or 2% of all the RJ-58/59's built were RJ-59's. (~300 of 20,000). Wheel Horse rarely left parts hanging around for more than a few weeks, and even more commonly used anything extra on the first part of the next model or had a "fire sale" production run. The chances of any 58/59 RJ being an RJ-59 is less than 1 in 100 (or perhaps even less than that).

Wheel Horse's practice was "just in time" manufacturing (they were well ahead of their time on this) and did not even order things in most cases more than a few weeks in advance of the need. You have the "book" ("Straight from the horses mouth") in your possession. There's a half chapter dedicated to exactly this topic with an explanation of the circumstances.

MikesRJ

Hi again can you still get parts for these like tires rims decals etc. While snow plowing the 4 ft of snow we got this year I lost the front clips that hold the wheels on and well the front wheels are off of wheel barrels...close but not correct. I was always taught if you dont have make do with what you do have.

I know you guys dont mind a classic so I wanted to show you my favorite classic. I've done a frame off on this 1954 Willys cj3b. It's not a Wheel Horse tractor but they were used

TT

I suspect a little trolling here, but here goes....

You have the book in your possession.

It's not trolling..... it's called "after 20 years, I've seen this too much".

As far as I know, no one on this forum worked in the factory when these were built. If they did, they probably don't remember all of the details. Certain people do have access to the production ledgers, but some are missing and/or incomplete.

I'm not saying that the tractor in this thread isn't a 1958 -- I just want to know how you can say that it isn't a 1959.

I'm not trying to intentionally stir things up, but I do know enough to not believe everything I read on the internet or in the manuals. I have been around these tractors long enough to know that things were changed mid-production and it wasn't always documented - at least not for the "public" to see.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"the book"? What book?

MikesRJ

You have your opinion, I have mine.

802heath

hello copperswilly and B)

nice lookin old tractor!

HorseFixer

You have your opinion, I have mine.

B)

fireman

I can see this thread getting locked real soon B)

That was the right thing to do removing your post Jason :party: There's enough fuel in the fire already.

VinsRJ

It would be amazing to hear the stroies these horses could tell...... but even with serial tags and/or production sheets I don't believe there was a documented "Mr. Ed" version. :party:

BTW B)