Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

K301 blocks

nylyon

Just continuing to explore my options on this C-120 / Electro dilemma. Here's my latest question. It seems that the long block on the Electro is in good shape, no rod knocks or smoke (from what I'm told and hearing it run for that minute) so I am thinking of temporally swapping the sheet metal, carb, exhaust and stator / flywheel from the K301 in the C-120 to the K301 in the Electro then installing it on the C-120 until I rebuild the original C-120's K301. I haven't looked side by side, but are the blocks / oil pans the same?

TT

They will interchange, Karl, BUT (you knew there'd be a but, right? :thumbs: ) you also have to change the bearing plate behind the flywheel. The newer 15 amp stator won't bolt to the old mag-style bearing plate.

That means playing with the shim gaskets that adjust the crankshaft endplay. (Which is no big deal, as long as you don't get it too tight.)

nylyon

I was afraid of something like that. Do you think I could just remove the "coil" form the Electro 301 and retain the stator. I don't want to open up 2 engines.

TT

All you would have to do is leave the kill wire grounded and secure the end of the plug wire from the magneto so it's out of the way. You wouldn't even have to remove the flywheel if you didn't want to.

The stator on the Electro is only 10 amp, so you will need to use its matching rectifier. (it should have all three terminals in line: - - - )