Sign in to follow this  
xring1

Transmission service help

xring1

I want o service the transmission and transaxle on my 85 417-A

Is there a owners manual online some place? I found a great site that has all kinds of manuals etc but no owners manual for the 417-A there yet. I have scanned and submitted what I have for manuals there for my C-125, mower decks and snow blowers as well as a 1984 sales brochure and the original bill of sale for the C-125 that I now own.

You guys probably already know about the site but here is a link anyway.

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/

Ok here we go with the newbie questions.

Where is the drain plug and filler for the transmission? Do you fill it thru the dip stick tube under the seat. Does the transaxle and transmission share the same oil?

I have a new filter and oil for it. Mobile 5000 10W30.

Speaking of dip stick.. It does not firmly seat into the tube so I suppose a replacement is in order so I don't get crap down the tube. B)

rickv1957

Drain is on trans bottom,a allen head,trans and diff share same fluid,yes ,fill thru dipstick tube,Rick

xring1

Drain is on trans bottom,a allen head,trans and diff share same fluid,yes ,fill thru dipstick tube,Rick

Thanks

xring1

Since you know where the MyWheelHorse site is, I assume you already have the Eaton 1100-032 Transmission Manual: http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...11_492-4205.pdf

Yes I already had looked at the file and went thru the parts list but there nothing that says "drain" plug.

Now that I know I am looking for an allen head and went back to the diagram I assume it is #40

I did not want to go taking something out when I do not know what it is

Confused99

Yes, the drain is on the bottom. I believe it is a 1/4". Is the filter a Toro/WH filter? I think the book says 5 quarts but I have only been able to get a little over 4 after a fluid change. Keep in mind when filling especially if you are using a funnel, it will be very tedious and take some time as there is no way for the air to escape except through the fill tube. Some have said they were able to leave the filter loose until you get around 3-4 quarts in at which point it starts to run out the filter assembly. I would also run the tractor enough to get the trans warmed up.

Jason

Dw Andy

The manuel says to remove one of the two bolts that hold the tank/seat braket on top the diff. to let air escape ,but on mine they were TIGHT, and I was affraid I'd twist off ! So I used a long neck funnel like for an auto. trans ina car. Fill the funnel and cover the top so oil can't splash out when it burps

boovuc

Hey dw Andy,

On getting transmission fluid and gear oil in those rears, I did something the other night that helped greatly.

I took an ordinary plastic straw and wrapped two bread twist ties around it then using electrical tape, I taped the crap out of it to make sure it wouldn't slip. Then i got a plastic funnel that just fits inside the dip stick riser and stuck the straw down into the riser through the funnel. Even as cold as it was last week, I got pre-warmed gear oil into that rear end in less than 5 minutes. No bubbles or plops!

Now if that straw fell down in there.........that would be ugly! B)

xring1

Hey dw Andy,

On getting transmission fluid and gear oil in those rears, I did something the other night that helped greatly.

I took an ordinary plastic straw and wrapped two bread twist ties around it then using electrical tape, I taped the crap out of it to make sure it wouldn't slip. Then i got a plastic funnel that just fits inside the dip stick riser and stuck the straw down into the riser through the funnel. Even as cold as it was last week, I got pre-warmed gear oil into that rear end in less than 5 minutes. No bubbles or plops!

Now if that straw fell down in there.........that would be ugly! B)

NOW you tell me!! LOL I bet it took me better than 20 minutes to get room temp oil in there. I figured there had to be a way to release the air.

Instead of a straw why not hake a longer length of maybe 1.4" copper tubing and slip it into the funnel and make the tubing long wnough so it stops on whatever it bottoms out on?