Sign in to follow this  
Nick

backwards ags ?

Nick

Ive seen people run ag tires the wrong way and was wondering if there is a real reason to do it. I know there is an old WH ad that shows them turned around. My guess is maybe they think it does less damage to a lawn? Maybe they back up hills a lot? :thumbs:

Saw this Picture on the Johnny bucket page and got me thinking about it. :thumbs:

Nick

TT

You got me, Nick. :thumbs:

I have seen tractors with dual rear wheels running the inside tires the opposite way from the outside tires so there was equal traction in both directions, but I can't explain this one.

T-Mo

I have seen ags on backwards on the front, but not the rear. I do remember reading somewhere that when running duels to have 2 of the tires backwards to help "clean" the tires. But, I'm a little vague on that also. :thumbs: :thumbs:

whchris

the thing with the ags on backwards is people see them as a scoop that way so they think that there smarter than the guys who designed them and flip them around (my stepfather is one of them) i have one tractor that has its ags on backwards i got it that way and haven't really used it for anything yet so i haven't switched them

Mith

More traction to back out of any sticky situations that you got into by going forwards.

Like 4WD, should be used to get out of situations where you get stuck in 2WD, not to drive deeper into areas you cant go in 2WD.

They are supposed to self clean going forwards too, but unless you have alot of weight the mud tends to ball up anyway.

kj4kicks

When I put the duals back on the FEL this spring, the outer set will be backwards. I think it will help when moving the dirt around, since some of it will be backing up a grade. I really didn't have much traction in reverse last year, so it won't hurt to try. Maybe I just need more weight on the back end.

Nick

At least I'm not alone wondering why some tires are mounted backwards. :thumbs:

Eldon

Even with a good amount of weights on the rear backing up with the loader bucket full can be a problem. Ive never tried duals with the outside set opposite from the inner but it cant hurt to try it out. You can be the guinney pig and tell us how it works out. :thumbs:

kj4kicks

I'll do that. Right now, there's a swamp in the back yard. We got almost 2" of rain yesterday. After that dries out some, it'll be close enough to spring to mount 'em up!

kpinnc

I'm not for certain with ag tires for tractors, but I know that ATV style tires with similar tread patterns get turned around backwards when using them in softer terrain. Sand, loose mud, snow, you name it. It is a common practice, particularly in use with mini-rail buggies.

But, and I think this is only due to the HP and torque applied though a 1000+CC engine, the riders reccomend not to use them that way on firm terrain. It can wear the tires out much faster.

I guess it's personal preference, but I would think they would "clog up" with more mud than running them right. :thumbs:

Kevin

TT

In the case where you could spin them fast enough to generate the centrifugal force necessary to clean them, that would work. The majority of OUR tractors would never be able to do that though. (except maybe Duane's :thumbs:)

The V shape was intended to point in the direction of rotation and act upon the ground surface as a wedge -- meaning the more (torque) pressure applied to the ground, the harder the wedge would push in to it to drive in the opposite direction. If the ground is extremely hard, or very slippery, the wedge has nothing to act against and traction is very poor. (That's why the V bar tread design doesn't do very well in snow and ice conditions.)

That's also why turf tires can sometimes outperform V bar tires on a very hard surfaced pulling track.

kpinnc

Terry, I've seen tractors with ATV knobbies on them, I always wondered why. What you say makes sense to me, plus I bet they offer a smoother ride in the rough.

kevin

TT

As time progressed, the initial design of the 60 degree tread bars gave way to lesser angled bars. (farm tractors were getting heavier and making more horsepower) Several different designs exist today including the long / short bar, the 23 degree and the faithful old 45 degree patterns. It seems every manufacturer has thrown something different into their tread design in hopes of increased traction.

There's a "youngster" in my area that pulls a Montgomery Wards (Gilson-built, I believe) that uses 25 inch tall 4 wheeler tires and does very well with it. He has a lot of seat time and has done lots of experimentation with tire PSI and weight placement. I also watched a green tractor with 26 X 12 - 12 turf tires outpull all but 2 other tractors last fall. (on a hard clay track)

baerpath

Yup on a loose track run them backwards for low hp classes. We did it for years on a :thumbs: JD 110 cough cough. Didn't help running em backwards with higher hp. :thumbs: Our combines always had the steer tires backwards to help pull them selves through a turn, rut or headlands

whchris

the turfs on the pullers work great in the low hp range i used to have so for fun pulls at a buddies house i got the ags for the 702 and was all ready to out pull the hell out of him got my ass kicked every time after that i should have kept them old all tractions :thumbs:

hoosier

This is probably useless info, but Mith has a point. My Dad once helped a neighboring farmer harvest his soybeans well after the regular season. They swapped tires side for side, so the tread was backwards, so they could run as far as they could into the wet areas, then be able to back out. It worked :thumbs: