Sign in to follow this  
persof

312-8 trans -vs- 416-8 trans

persof

In the recent heavy snows I had trouble plowing my drive way even though I have 55~60 lbs of fluid in each tire and 75 lbs of iron weight rings on the draw bar. I was planning to buy70 lb iron weights for the rear wheels but I read in the Wheel Horse documentation that my 312-8 has a four pinion differential and it is not strong enough for fluid filled tires??? The Wheel Horse manuals web site says that the 312-8 has transmission with model # 110996 and the 416-8 as transmission with model # 110995. The 110996 tranny is the four pinion type and the 110995 is an 8 or 10 pinion kind.

Will a transmission from a 416-8 fit my 312?

How can I identify the the "limited slip" version that is mentioned in a previous post and in the documentation?

How is a 400 series Wheel Horse different from a 300 series?

Thanks

Francis

Duff

Most 312-8's have a transmission with 1" axles and 4-pinion diffs. The 400 series have the heavier 1-1/8" axles with the 8-pinion diffs. The 10-pinion so-called "limited slip" version was only used on a few models as I think I understand it, but don't hold me to this part as I don't know much about those trannies.

Generally the 400-series machines are just a little beefier than their 300-series counterparts but most of the parts are interchangeable. Also most stock 312-8's have 6" front wheels and 22" wide rear rubber to accomodate the 37" SD mower deck, where the 400's have 8" fronts and 23" wide rear skins. I'm sure there are other differences but these are the ones that came to mind first.

A 400-series tranny is a direct bolt-across to your 312-8. As to whether your 312 tranny will handle the work, the weight in the wheels really isn't the issue since the weight is on the ground. What matters is how the added traction and thus the additional stress of being able to push/pull heavier loads will bear on things. If you are careful with the clutch and don't try to tackle monster jobs I would think the 312 tranny would hold up fine. The experts may want to correct me on this, though!

Duff B)

Horse Fanatic

I agree with Duff, I have wide ag tires on my 312-8 which are filled with fluid and I have weights on the rims, hasn't harmed the trans one bit. Just use common sense when operating the tractor with the weighted tires.

rickv1957

Ive had a 4 pinion,8 speed tranny with 60 lb weights and 10.5 ags on my grader tractor for years with no problems,Rick

• Like 1

MikesRJ

Just curious persof, are you using chains?

bitten

Service Bulletin #368a says not to do it but like others I have done it and have had no problems. Might want to remove as much weight as you can when not needed ( like the wheel weights and such) to prolong the life, and just add as you do need.

The only difference I can think of between the 300 and 400 is the rear end, size of front tires and maybe some of the weiring but not sure.

persof

MikesRJ,

I had purchased chains from my local Wheel Horse dealer and when I tried to put them on and I found that they were to big. Unfortunatley I returned them for a refund and not ones that actually fit correctly. Chains that fit will be ordered ASAP.

But, I do want to know if a 400 series trans will fit and how to ID a limited slip diff.

Francis

persof

Duff,

That

"that is mentioned in a previous post"
is where I got the idea for limited slip differential. Maybe I'll see one of these trannys on craigslist for cheep and I'll experiment on my own.

Francis

TT

The "Transpower" limited-slip differential is easily identified by simply turning one axle.... if the other axle rotates in the same direction, it's the 10 pinion. (or a seized up "open" differential B) )

KeithB

some say the ten pinon trans is weaker than the 4 pinion tranny

i think also the break drum is further forward about flush with the front of the case on the 10 pinion. where as the 8 pinion sets back a bit

Horse Rancher

I have abused all of them I have never broke a 8-pinion

or a 10-pinion my 10-pinion has the cast iron side plates

on the diff not tne alum. ones I have smoked several

4-pinion models and some early ones with bevel gear

diff we usually pull a 5000lb weight transfer sled

on sticky clay track I have used 4-pinions around

the yard working the crap out of them without

breaking one on the turf yet

TT

Just being a "10 pinion" doesn't denote brake drum placement - it's dependant on the model number of the tranz.

The first 6 speeds (5060) had the brake drum mounted to the reduction gear/pinion shaft (just like the early 3 speeds) which places the drum very close to the rear axle "tube" while the newer models (5073, etc.) had the drum mounted to the countershaft - which is the same as the "newer" 8 speed models. (closer to the front of the case)

blacksmithswright

Woooow You guys are great, all of this experience and knowledge. I have a similiar question about these transaxles compatablity for a simple swap out. What models fit a no modification exchange.. I have a 5060 with a HI/Lo shift gear and sliding gear and detent bolt broken. I might just get another transaxle if a buddy of mine has one. Blacksmiths Wright

whbob2

Some 312-8's do have 8 pinion transmissions with the 1 1/8 axles. My 1990 312 has one.