nylyon

Wheel Horse Paint Recommendations

Elroy Heselton

I use IH red from Tractor Supply in both the rattle cans and wet spray and they both look right. With the wet spray, I use hardener. I haven't tried clear coating

these, but would probably get a better shine.

• Like 2

BigRed84

Just put a coat on my dad's old cart from either the late 70's or early 80's.  IH red from TSC....brand was "Majic".  Has anyone used this brand yet? 

Cart Wheel Horse.jpg

• Like 2

rmaynard

Yes. And it all came back off. Never hardened.

Search "Majic" in this forum and see what others have said about it.

Hope you have better luck.

• Like 1

953 nut

If you use a spray gun and hardener the Magic produces a good looking paint job for the money. Without the hardener it isn't too good. An auto finishing supply house can sell you much better products and don't cost much more. Be sure to use products that are compatible and from the same supplier from bare metal to the final top coat. No unpleasant surprises.

• Like 2

BigRed84

Mods feel free to move this into it's own topic but I figured it would fit to just expand this thread with more info.  I read several places that Valspar IH red is decent, and after waiting a week (can says 15 days before adding clear coat so maybe one more week will help?) I've decided I can tell the cart I painted with majic's IH red is going to be a little less durable due to the "soft" feel it seems to have.  It also has a bit of a haze to it....not sure if just a good wax/buff job would remove that or not?  Anyways, I'm leaning towards Valspar IH red in a regular can so I can mix in their hardener as well for my tractor. 

My main question right now is for surface prep: since the paint/panels are all in decent shape (just faded and light scratches here and there) do I have to get down to bare metal or can I just lightly hand sand it add new paint to that surface?  

Tgtack
On 6/5/2017 at 3:19 PM, BigRed84 said:

Mods feel free to move this into it's own topic but I figured it would fit to just expand this thread with more info.  I read several places that Valspar IH red is decent, and after waiting a week (can says 15 days before adding clear coat so maybe one more week will help?) I've decided I can tell the cart I painted with majic's IH red is going to be a little less durable due to the "soft" feel it seems to have.  It also has a bit of a haze to it....not sure if just a good wax/buff job would remove that or not?  Anyways, I'm leaning towards Valspar IH red in a regular can so I can mix in their hardener as well for my tractor. 

My main question right now is for surface prep: since the paint/panels are all in decent shape (just faded and light scratches here and there) do I have to get down to bare metal or can I just lightly hand sand it add new paint to that surface?  

If your paint surface is in good condition, not flaking or chalky, then wet sanding with some 400 and then 600, should yield a better base than going bare and repriming.

• Like 1

BigRed84

Thank you.  I'll be tackling paint in the next couple of weeks, so I appreciate the response. 

Rob XC700
On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎27 at 10:37 AM, Texas Todd said:

I believe they went to silver when they went to the 6" wheel. If you have 6" wheels they would be silver. 8" wheels were all the linen color. Personally, I think the white pops better than the linen, but thats just me. 

My 1988 414-8 is original with 8" front wheels and they are silver.

IMG_3401.JPG

• Like 1

cleat

All of my 520's came with silver wheels.

Texas Todd
1 hour ago, Rob XC700 said:

My 1988 414-8 is original with 8" front wheels and they are silver.

IMG_3401.JPG

So noted.

• Like 1

cschannuth

What is the closest match to the new Toro red spray paint? The touch up paint in the can is crazy expensive and I was wondering if there something else out there that matched. 

cschannuth
On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:58 PM, cschannuth said:

What is the closest match to the new Toro red spray paint? The touch up paint in the can is crazy expensive and I was wondering if there something else out there that matched. 

Skipper

I have a couple of questions to the paint aficionados :-)

The black on the black hood edition? It has been asked repeatedly in this tread, but I have not seen an answer. Maybe it's just my eyes getting old, but I too really would like to know.

And

Fillers, Primer fillers. I have a few places with some surface rust, and when blasted, there is small pittings. What is the best spray on filler to use to even this kind of smaller imperfections out?

953 nut

This is the best sprayable filler on the market. Be sure to follow ALL the instructions and have a proper respirator and full protective clothing.

http://www.eastwood.com/featherfill-g2-gray-gallon.html?SRCCODE=TXT00020&adpos=1t3&creative=93232707180&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=CjwKCAjw0qLOBRBUEiwAMG5xM

As far as the Black paint is concerned, I don't have a Blackhood, but if I did it would be satin black.    :twocents-02cents:

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 3

mels

Gents, according to my local paint supplier the PPG number listed at the beginning of this thread for the earlier models is no longer valid.

Does anyone have the correct, current PPG number for the red?

Thanks, the guy doing the sandblast prime and paint on that old dump cart of ours is holding off until I can get him the paint.

lawnman_56

regal red/ canvas white rustoleum is what i

use

• Like 2

rmaynard
On 9/28/2017 at 11:15 PM, mels said:

Gents, according to my local paint supplier the PPG number listed at the beginning of this thread for the earlier models is no longer valid.

Does anyone have the correct, current PPG number for the red?

The last time that I bought it, the PPG number was 72034. The paint that I used was call Shop-Line, single-stage. It is also available in Omni. @buckrancher uses Omni base-coat, clear coat on his horses. 72034 is not available in some of PPG's top-line, higher grade paints.

• Like 1

mc1960

This is the paint that I used, they could not cross match PPG numbers but used a color chart to match a part I brought in. This is a single stage paint, is suppose to be direct over metal, even though I shot it over high solids primer. 

Tractor and laterns 012.JPG

wheel horse paint red.jpeg

• Like 1

clyde

international red cecil pond wanted the red as close to ih red as possible!

PetesPonies1

How does the Wimbledon White match the original wheel color?

purdey

Hi Guys,

Here in the UK Rustoleum don't have a Regal Red! - anyone know the RAL number for this? Closest one I can find seems to be Carmine Red - RAL no. 3002.

Many thanks

rmaynard

I have it in my paint file that someone once told me the equivalent RAL is 3018.

ohiofarmer

For what it's worth I have found that the wheel color can vary quite a bit. Almost to  an Almond Rust-Oleum to linen. I have based s observation on the color on the inside of the wheel with no rust present . So I just paint it to make myself happy even to the point  of mixing almond with white to match it close. A friend of mine eats pudding out of little cups making it easy to measure  ratio and dispose of the cup. Another way to get original colors to match to is go inside the belt guard as the paint is rarely faded

cschannuth
On 9/18/2018 at 7:47 PM, PetesPonies1 said:

How does the Wimbledon White match the original wheel color?

It’s a little light compared to original but it’s close enough of you repaint all four wheels and plentiful. 

purdey

Hi Guys,

Here in the UK Rustoleum don't have a Regal Red! - anyone know the RAL number for this? Closest one I can find seems to be Carmine Red - RAL no. 3002.

Many thanks