nylyon

Wheel Horse Paint Recommendations

rmaynard

So for the work horse its just pewter grey nothing special or are there different contrasts of color you can use? There's a paint shop where I live where they take a picture of the pant and can match it exactly as it is on the tractor.

That is okay if you just want to match what is there. After many years, your paint has faded and whatever the paint guy scans will be a reproduction of the faded paint. Just remember, there is no one that is going to fine you for not using the correct color paint, so use what pleases you.

Desko

That's what I was wondering is the pewter grey the original color or is it a close match

redrooster

I want to use an automotive paint but I don't want to go with dual stage paint. If I use a single stage paint Im thinking acrylic urethane over epoxy primer. From what I have read, if you are spraying a solid color without metal flake you will get good results. Im just not sure what paint codes to give the paint store. The first post gives several PPG codes but doesn't list what type of paint it is and I don't know if that matters.

rmaynard

PPG code for Wheel Horse red is 72034.

• Thanks 1

redrooster

What is the ppg code for the off white?

redrooster

While Im thinking about it how much paint is required to paint a C-141 and how much paint is required to paint a dump cart?

rmaynard

I don't have the code for off white since I powder coat my wheels. The last C-series that I painted took about 1-1/2 quarts. Having said that, the quantity of paint needed is directly proportional to the experience of the painter, the type of spray equipment you use, and the quality of the paint. I used Kirker paint on the C-series, and PPG Shop-Line on my Commando 8 and 701. The PPG paint required about 2-1/4 quarts because it is a much thinner paint and a minimum of 3 coats are required.

redrooster

Are these codes different brands of paint for the ppg linen beige?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

TT

That's what I was wondering is the pewter grey the original color or is it a close match

This is supposed to be the '83 / '84 non-metallic pewter. Someday I'll find that out for sure.

GT11161800paintcode.jpg

• Like 1

c-series don

Ok please let me add my 2 cents here. I spoke to Cecil Pond directly and he said there was no exact wheel horse red. He said there were many variations in the color over the years as mixing paint was not the exact science it is today. I painted my c-121 with ppg two part epoxy primer, three coats sanded between coats, three coats of ppg red ( I have the code some where ) and three coats of clear. Cecil laughed and said he was pretty sure it didn't look like that when it left the factory! I then painted my c-161 with rustolium sunrise red and it is pretty close match at a third of the price. I just wet sanded the heck out of it till I practically had no finger prints! So like someone said earlier paint it a color you like. That will be your Wheel Horse red!

• Like 5

rmaynard

That is a great idea. Why don't you re-post this info in the thread ""?

• Like 1

Desko

Would the old ford gray from the 8n-9n be close to the work horse gray or no? Was at tsc and was looking at tractor paint for my resto and thought ford gray looked close. What do you guys think?

rtfbg

OK .. so I have to ask .. If I don't paint my D200 "official Wheel Horse red", are you gonna throw me out???

rmaynard

That would never happen here. As a matter of fact, there is no "official Wheel Horse red", so whatever color pleases you is okay.

bmsgaffer

OK .. so I have to ask .. If I don't paint my D200 "official Wheel Horse red", are you gonna throw me out???

Absolutely not. As bob said, there is no official color. Personally I like the red, but I also like some customs! There is only one requirement: :banana-gotpics:

If you paint it hot pink or Green, you could expect some (friendly) heckling though! :teasing-poke:

rtfbg

Sounds good!!  Not a "pink" kind of guy, and I'm a STEELER fan, so green and yellow Packer colors would never happen!!!

• Like 3

rmaynard

Just a follow-up to an earlier conversation concerning Van Sickle IH Red paint. Being that I am doing a refresh on my 857 and not a total "show queen" restoration, I decided to give Van Sickle paint a try to hopefully save some money. Although I thought that what I was getting was acrylic enamel, I ended up with alkyd enamel, which is what the old Valspar Restoration Series paint was. When the paint arrived, I did a spot test on a panel that I had previously painted with Valspar Restoration Series IH red.

Results? No comparison. The Van Sickle is a much brighter (lighter) red with an orange tint. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the color, it's just not the look I'm going for.

post-2221-0-06994800-1397305048_thumb.jp

I now have two quarts of paint, one pint of hardener, and a 12oz spray can of Van Sickle IH red for sale.

• Like 1

mopar 440

Has anyone tried Apple Red? Thought this was wheelhorse standard color, would like to know, restoreing a 1976 B-80 soon, thank you

rmaynard

Lots of guys have tried it, but I don't think many really like it. It's expensive buying it from a Toro dealer. Find a color that you like and use it. No one is going to fault you for using the "wrong" color. I personally have been using an acrylic enamel from PPG on my latest paint job. Seems to have a nice gloss, covers well, and dries reasonably fast. Adding the proper hardener gives it more gloss and quicker drying time. Spray cans like Rustoleum and others can take up to 30 days to fully cure.

You didn't mention whether you were using spray cans or gun. Lots more color choices if you have your paint mixed by an auto paint supplier and use an HVLP gun to spray. A quart of auto enamel will cost you about $35.00 to $40.00. Hardener is about $20.00. I think you will probably use at least a dozen to 15 spray cans if that's the way you go.

• Like 2

mopar 440

Thanks to Maynard for info on paint, very helpfull

biggin

Has anyone tried Apple Red? Thought this was wheelhorse standard color, would like to know, restoreing a 1976 B-80 soon, thank you

Here is what the apple red looks like from a wheel horse dealer. I did this resto about 15 yrs ago, I liked the color but as someone said, expensive from them. Tractor has been in storage for about 10+yrs so it's dirty.

e7yqevar.jpg

02' DL

never finished

Jim Slaaen

I am trying to find the color-code in RAL or NCS (Natural Colour System for Case / International Harvester - MS 3 Gloss Red High Performance Enamel Paint or Regal Red. I need that code to buy the right color in alkyd based paint in Norway. Anyone knows those codes? 

MS%2B3%2BGloss%2BRed%2BHigh%2BPerformanc

rmaynard

I believe the RAL number is 3003.

See this post:

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ethan and Randies horses

we use IH white for or rems.

• Like 1