nylyon

Wheel Horse Paint Recommendations

purdey

Thanks Bob,

I'll take a look at RAL 3018.

RandyLittrell
On 9/25/2017 at 5:08 PM, 953 nut said:

This is the best sprayable filler on the market. Be sure to follow ALL the instructions and have a proper respirator and full protective clothing.

http://www.eastwood.com/featherfill-g2-gray-gallon.html?SRCCODE=TXT00020&adpos=1t3&creative=93232707180&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=CjwKCAjw0qLOBRBUEiwAMG5xM

As far as the Black paint is concerned, I don't have a Blackhood, but if I did it would be satin black.    :twocents-02cents:

Feather fill is a great product, but be mindful of the instructions. It doesn't like bare metal and if you forget about it and leave it in the gun too long..........just throw it in the trash! It really fills in small imperfections. I first used this back in the 80's. Fiberglass is where it really shines! 

Randy

PetesPonies1

Evercoat makes several polyester primers. One is better for bare metal. These are the same chemistry and polyester filler. Something to protect from breathing in the spray . . but contains no isocyanates. Therefore nothing else is needed in the way of safety equipment. 

trapper570

i find that Rustoleum Regal Red is too dark and the Sunrise Red is to Orange . You should try Rustoleum High Performance Enamel Gloss Bright Red ,available from Grainger This is the closest to the color used in the black hood models from the early 80's

peter lena

i do have a black hood, and i like the gas grill black satin finish, rustoleum  or your choice, plus it has the added heat enhancement mix. no glare or out of place look jmoo , pete

Farmerfred

Apple red or sunrise red is actually the color. Red-devil red was actually the original color for wheel horse tractors.

Farmerfred

Ih red is too dark for wheel horse. Besides ih had 2 shades of red...

Edited by Farmerfred
Spelling

c-series don

Okay, I personally spoke to the man himself Cecil Pond about this and he told me that there is no official Wheel Horse red. In the beginning they used a red that was close to IH but since mixing paint wasn’t the exact science it is today the color varied a little from year to year. This is exactly what he said. My first restoration I used a PPG paint ( I have the code written down somewhere) three coats of two part epoxy primer sanded in between coats, three coats of color, three coats of clear. My second restoration was Rustoleum clean metal primer three coats then three coats of sunrise red and honestly I don’t remember if I cleared it or just buffed the heck out of it. You really have to look close to see the difference, but I can tell you there is a price difference in the material of about 500 bucks!! Anyway we’ve had this conversation here many times and we all basically agree that if it’s red and you like it then it’s YOUR Wheel Horse red! One other thing Cecil said to me that I will never ever forget as he signed my C-121 automatic, he said with a chuckle in his voice “ One thing I can tell you is that this tractor didn’t look this good when it left the factory!! “ And I’m still smiling about that many years later!!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

DerekMorrissey

Hi all! I'm getting ready to paint my 502 and was wondering how much paint and primer to buy, and in also debating between the rustoleum regal red and the ppg wheel horse red, wanted to know anyone's opinion on the two, also wanted to know what people's preferred application method is for the ppg paint, thanks!

Texas Todd

I restored several. Regal Red Rusto with hardener mixed in. Really gives it a nice baked on appearance. I used rattle can self etching primer. I didn't shoot clear over as my understanding was the hardener served the same purpose. They all turned out great. You shouldn't need more than a quart of paint. Three coats sprayed within about 20 minutes or each other in the hot Texas 🌞.

I priced the PPG and decided it was overkill for my needs. Touch ups are simple enough with rattle can Regal Red.

Good luck!

• Like 1

DerekMorrissey
6 hours ago, Texas Todd said:

I restored several. Regal Red Rusto with hardener mixed in. Really gives it a nice baked on appearance. I used rattle can self etching primer. I didn't shoot clear over as my understanding was the hardener served the same purpose. They all turned out great. You shouldn't need more than a quart of paint. Three coats sprayed within about 20 minutes or each other in the hot Texas 🌞.

I priced the PPG and decided it was overkill for my needs. Touch ups are simple enough with rattle can Regal Red.

Good luck!

Thanks! Good to know

Snoop@ICI

I don't know if anyone has used Old 55 paint, but I didn't have very good luck with it. I let it sit for way longer than recommended and it still chipped on me when putting my tractor back together

55reasons

Check RAL 3003.

I just powder coated a bunch of parts and it appears to match almost perfect with my 74 C160 Automatic.

BD718740-0AC2-45D5-90A4-79F7C06CB8EC.jpeg

58E9F5D0-F211-4ABE-B4BB-E4C574CD16A1.jpeg

Edited by 55reasons
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JCM

Ordered a Grill Pivot Bracket Toro # 109145-01 and picked it up yesterday. I was interested to see how close of a match today's Toro red was in comparison to Rust-oleum Regal Red. I know it may be difficult to see any difference but I think they are very close but the Regal Red appears just a shade darker.The one on the left is the Regal Red and the one on the right is Toro Red, should anyone be that fussy.   FYI

IMG_0030.JPG

JCM

Found this 20 year old can of WH black that I used on the 86  312-8 refurb to paint the black mask on front of the hood and on the rear seat pan. The can was empty and I remember not being able to throw it out because of the picture of the Black Hood on the label and thought is was unique in some way.

IMG_0073.JPG

• Excellent 3

JCM

Purchased 2 OEM  front spindles for the 420 from Toro last week and noticed one of them was painted on the upper  part that goes up into the axle. Upon further examination the spindle would not go into the axle with out removing what I thought was paint but when I tried to remove it I had to use both a utility knife and a wire wheel and some elbow grease to strip it off, looked like it was dipped almost like the coating years back when you could dip your adjustable wrench handles etc. One question for the paint experts. What would be the close match to use on the front of the hood , hoodstand and rear seat pans to match the original look. I have been using Rust o leum  semi- gloss black or would a satin black be more correct .     Thanks

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

WVHillbilly520H
6 hours ago, JCM said:

Purchased 2 OEM  front spindles for the 420 from Toro last week and noticed one of them was painted on the upper  part that goes up into the axle. Upon further examination the spindle would not go into the axle with out removing what I thought was paint but when I tried to remove it I had to use both a utility knife and a wire wheel and some elbow grease to strip it off, looked like it was dipped almost like the coating years back when you could dip your adjustable wrench handles etc. One question for the paint experts. What would be the close match to use on the front of the hood , hoodstand and rear seat pans to match the original look. I have been using Rust o leum  semi- gloss black or would a satin black be more correct .     Thanks

I have heard satin is the better choice but I don't know definitely.

• Like 1

oliver2-44
7 hours ago, JCM said:

looked like it was dipped almost like the coating years back when you could dip your adjustable wrench handles etc. 

@JCM In recent years, I've been in at least two manufacturing shops where they dipped odd shaped parts in paint.  They were very low tech setups, i.e parts suspended on a chain conveyor that dipped them down into a heated 55 gal drum of paint.  As the part exited the barrel it ran over a trough for a distance that let the dripping paint run back into the barrel.   Its kind of an old school way to minimize VOC's

• Like 1

Mr Magoo

I am going to get a quote for sandblasting and possibly powder coating some wheels. Does anyone have a color code number for the wheel color that you have used? I’m talking about the off white color.

JustinW.73

I would recommend taking krylon cherry red off the list. They have been running into trouble with their mixes and if you’re really unlucky like me, get more cans that come out pink than red. I still haven’t heard back from them in months so they don’t really support their own products very well it seams. 

rmaynard

Krylon has always been a favorite of mine because it dries so quickly. But that has drawbacks, mainly the fact that it isn't as tough as oil based paints that dry slowly. I still use Krylon for small items and touch-up. As far as the problem with color inconsistency, I buy my Krylon from my local Sherwin-Williams store and they will work on my behalf to solve issues with Krylon.

JustinW.73
2 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Krylon has always been a favorite of mine because it dries so quickly. But that has drawbacks, mainly the fact that it isn't as tough as oil based paints that dry slowly. I still use Krylon for small items and touch-up. As far as the problem with color inconsistency, I buy my Krylon from my local Sherwin-Williams store and they will work on my behalf to solve issues with Krylon.

My Sherwin Williams couldn’t even get cherry red in. Whether that’s incompetents or they actually can’t get it idk. 

AMC RULES

Recently bought 4 cans of Regal red from our local hardware store. Had to return 3 of them because they were actually mislabeled cans of the wrong cherry red color.

• Sad 2

WHNJ701

Not sure if this relevant to the topic but there is a shortage/back order of modeling paints,

The site I order from has alot of colors on back order with an unknown date.

testors, Tamiya etc..  not sure if is increased demand world wide with people building models or if the factories were cut back

rmaynard

I think the problem is not only in the paint industry, but manufacturing in general. I may be going off of the original track here, but another example is we ordered a new sofa back in May. Delivery was to be 4-6 weeks. We have not gotten it yet and the manufacturer is saying that it may not be delivered until the new year. We obviously cancelled the order and went with a sofa-in-a-box from an online company. Delivered in 3 days. Not exactly what we wanted, but it will do until manufactures get back on track.