Sign in to follow this  
joel_400

electro 12 moving slowly

joel_400

Hi guys! I've been plowing alot here in NW ohio with the old Electro 12! What fun! The other day the spring let go on the tensioner for the belt, so I replaced it with a hardware store spring to get by...ordered the correct one from the dealer and should have it friday or monday. Before the spring broke I noticed that it wasn't moving up to par. Usually this thing just plows like heck! When the spring broke I had to push down on the tensioner to get it back to the garage. Put on a hardware store spring and got the job done, then went to use it again and had to push down on the tensioner again to even get it to move. Once I got it moving it worked great, then as I plow it seems to slow up a bit even when I push down on the tensioner... could the belt slipping have damaged the pump? I thought about changing the fluid in the trans and putting a new filter on this weekend to see if that may help...and it is about due for some maintenance. Anybody know what Wix filter I would use for this? I'm sure that would save a buck or two also. Any input would be greatly appreciated! I'd love to have my favorite horse healthy again!

Thank you

Joel

rickv1957

I would install correct spring and eliminate belt slipping and go from there,Rick

Brrly1

Heads up! #1, I would replace the filter with a Toro filter. #2 it could be a broken spring inside the tranmission there are two different sets. Look at the trans on the left side you are going to see two large bolts one facing towards the front and another facing towards the rear of the tractor. The bolt size is 1 3/16". Inside these bolts you will find two springs per side. My first guess is that one of these springs are possibly broken if not both. Pay attention to how you take it apart as it will need to go back together that way. I believe that these are called acceleration springs. This would be my guess and nothing but a guess. There is also a manual for these trannys. I am not up on all of the manuals and such but I am sure one of the guys will stumble along and can give you more info. Good Luck See Ya, Bye Burly

B)