Sign in to follow this  
xring1

Kohler KT17QS

xring1

The ID tag on the engine only says Kohler KT17QS ,spec 24350........ no serial number on the tag. Would there be a serial number somewhere else on the engine?

The air breather says series II on it. Other series II;s I have seen say series II on the flywheel shroud,

It is in an 85/86 417-A... still trying to figure out which year it is.

rickv1957

Does your tractor have a ser# tag?,Rick

stevebo

That is a series II. Any number over 24300 is a series II.

xring1

That is a series II. Any number over 24300 is a series II.

OK..thanks...made it by 50 B)

bmuone

Hello xring1....I have a 417A also. If you need the Owners manual and/or Service manual for that motor that has some good information on it I found it by typing in "kohler kt17 owner manual" in the yahoo or google search block. The site is www.asberry.net/kohler. Go there and then go down until you see K series Service manual and also K series Owners manual. You have a good tractor. Have a good day...

xring1

Does your tractor have a ser# tag?,Rick

Hi Rick

The tractor does have a paper/plastic serial# tag below the front of the seat but as with my C-125 and attachments there is nothing on them.

Just went out and discovered that the engine serial # was on the front shroud that had been removed when I got it......

Ser#15003838....Spec 24350 ...... KT17QS

Hmmmm I thought the first 2 numbers of the serial were supposed to be the year???

bmuone

Your engine is 1985 and I imagine your tractor is a 1986.

xring1

Your engine is 1985 and I imagine your tractor is a 1986.

Thanks for the info

xring1

Evidently my tractor is an 85. Following is copied from Yahoo group wheelhorsetractormanuals.

Kohler 24350's used in 85 and 24363's used in 86. also has different numbers for the transaxle

What is with the difference in numbers for the switch and pump? The replaced numbers are the same.

Tractor 1985 417-A 31-17KE01 Uses 108369 transaxle with 8 one-piece pinions (11 tooth 101623 spur gear) differential and 1-1/8"axles driven by 1100-032 Eaton (108368 replaced by 92-9848 WH) pump and motor with 22-tooth drive gear With hydraulic lift Uses Kohler KT17QS-24350 with 15 amp stator and battery ignition Uses 103990 5-terminal 3-position ignition switch OM needed

Tractor 1986 417-A 31-17KE02 Uses 111266 transaxle with 8 one-piece pinion (11 tooth 101623 spur gear) differential and 1-1/8"axle driven by 1100-032 Eaton (108368 replaced by 92-9848 WH) pump and motor Uses 22 tooth drive gear With hydraulic lift Uses Kohler KT17QS-24363 with 15 amp stator and battery ignition Uses (111216 5-terminal 3-position) replaced by 103990 5-terminal 3-position ignition switch IPL needed

Confused99

Your engine might be an 85 but the tractor may be an 86. Is the Model and serial number on the tractor readable?

Jason

xring1

Your engine might be an 85 but the tractor may be an 86. Is the Model and serial number on the tractor readable?

Jason

No the serial # is not readable but according to that post they desinated Spec 24350's in the 85 and spec 24363's in 86

i wonder if the different transaxle #'s are actually a different transaxle or just a different #.........guess I will check Partstree to find out

xring1

Jason

No the serial # is not readable but according to that post they desinated Spec 24350's in the 85 and spec 24363's in 86

i wonder if the different transaxle #'s are actually a different transaxle or just a different #.........guess I will check Partstree to find out

Checked Partstree and the transaxle part #'s are different for 85/86 so I guess I do need to figure out which it is in case something breaks>>>>>>>>>>>Edit...Looked at both 85 and 86 transaxles and they sure look the same

mrocket49

I have a parts manual for the Series 1 engine if anyone needs part numbers. Just let me know.

dunk50

Jason

Checked Partstree and the transaxle part #'s are different for 85/86 so I guess I do need to figure out which it is in case something breaks>>>>>>>>>>>Edit...Looked at both 85 and 86 transaxles and they sure look the same

Xring, reviving this thread. I did a lot of research on the 417-A. People have said that the 85 had a flat hood and the 86 had louvered hood. I have an unmolested 86 and it has the smooth hood, NO louvers. All my model / serial numbers are readable and it is in deed an 86. The only real way that I can figure to tell the difference is the dash. If it had the red LED idiot lights it is and 86. No lights it's an 85. These are my findings, I could be wrong but I don't think so.

xring1

Jason

Xring, reviving this thread. I did a lot of research on the 417-A. People have said that the 85 had a flat hood and the 86 had louvered hood. I have an unmolested 86 and it has the smooth hood, NO louvers. All my model / serial numbers are readable and it is in deed an 86. The only real way that I can figure to tell the difference is the dash. If it had the red LED idiot lights it is and 86. No lights it's an 85. These are my findings, I could be wrong but I don't think so.

Flat hood and no idiot lights so I guess it is an 85.....thanks

mr.pipes

The only real way that I can figure to tell the difference is the dash. If it had the red LED idiot lights it is and 86. No lights it's an 85. These are my findings, I could be wrong but I don't think so.

I concur, my 85 also has no dummy lights and my 86 does. My 86 also has a chrome muffler, air cleaner housing and louvered hood but apparently not all do.