Sign in to follow this  
jdwheelhorse

BIG problems

jdwheelhorse

I was just plowing snow and i noticed that my B80 4speed was hard to get into first and neutral, so i stopped for a minute and shifted it through the gears and when i went to take off again, nothing. My shift lever will come completely out of the tranny and if you put it back in, it grinds...so whats my problem and is it terminal or can it be fixed? and How? B)

THanks

pfrederi

Remove the shifter and boot. Look inside to see if the shifter forks are aligned. If not use a big screw driver to align them...that will be neutral.

Back out the dog point set screw on the raised part of the housing (faces forward). Note the hole in the shifter ring. The dog point will go into that. Put the shifter back in getting the ball end between the forks. Screw in the set screw (into the hole on the shifter ring) until it is tight. Back it of about a half turn. Shifter should move freely but not pull out. Secure the lock nut on the dog point set screw and try her out

rickv1957

Well said Paul!!, B) Rick

jdwheelhorse

great descriptive post! thanks..i had to read it twice lol.

Ill go try that here in a min.

Dw Andy

Why did the shift come out, Is the screw loose or worn?

A while back I was shopping for a tractor to mow with , and I seen this JD that I liked. I told Muriel that I would hafta paint it RED cause I can't have a green tractor on the place B)

CasualObserver

Why did the shift come out, Is the screw loose or worn?

Probably because the jam nut wasn't snugged up tight enough. it's a common problem and an easy fix! Hope you're back up an running already!

Duff

I think I read here somewhere in the past that the dog point set screw can (although rarely) wear out or break off. Replacing it is both cheap and easy. I've got to go to work or I'd try to locate the thread for you that discusses it - it's somewhere around here....... B)

Duff :party:

can whlvr

ive had to drill and tap some when the dog screw stripped the threaded hole 004-1.jpg005-1.jpg

jdwheelhorse

I think the head is broke off the screw so should i just try to get it out and then find something similiar? And can someone tell me what head comes on the original set screw?

pfrederi

There is no head on the set screw it uses an allen wrench in the end of the set screw and a jam nut to lock it in place.

MikesRJ

The correct part is a dog-point set screw similar to the image shown below. It's only about 3/4" - 1" long and 1/4-20 I believe (don't quote me on that). There is a single jam nut which holds the set screw in place, once the proper pressure is applied between set screw and shifter ball.

DogPointSetScrew.png

Duff

There is no head on the set screw it uses an allen wrench in the end of the set screw and a jam nut to lock it in place.

Paul's right - the dog screw has no head and thus you may think it's broken off. Don's second picture above shows a possible fix using a regular 1/4" (I think) bolt that the end that goes inside the tranny has been filed or ground to resemble Mike's drawing.

Duff B)

rickv1957

I have extra new shifter screws if you need one,just pm me,Rick

Iggy68

I had the same problem with mine. Two owners ago he tried to fix it. To say the least he did a poor job. I had to drill out the hole and thread it to a 5/16 set screw. I drilled the end of the new set screw and put a rool pin in it. This might woork for your situation too. Just another idea, good luck!

Buzz

I had the problem today where it got stuck between gears. The set screw had backed out a little so I took it out further and pulled the shifter. Took a long thick screw driver to line up the shifting forks and reinstalled the shifter. Snugged up the set screw ,and when I went to back it out a little the end and jam nut broke off B):party: It shifted okay the way it is so I finished the driveway, shifting gently, then put it in the shop. Tomorrow I'll see if I can find one and change it, they're calling for more snow on Tuesday :clap: It's always a thrill getting the old one out when they break. It is 1/4-20 thread and takes a 7/16" open end wrench and a 1/8" allen wrench.

bunson70

My screw broke off in my Command 8. I was lucky and was able to get it out. Does anyone know the part number and where I can buy one?

TT

Does anyone know the part number and where I can buy one?

1239001.jpg

1239002.jpg

As previously stated; dog point set screw, 1/4 - 20 threads, and around 1.25" to 1.5" long.

Try hardware suppliers like Fastenal, Grainger, McMaster-Carr, etc. if you don't want to buy one from Toro.

baerpath

Ace Hardware, TrueValue both have them in assorted sizes. Ace even had them in stainless.

Duane

bunson70

I'll try that! Thank you guys!! :thumbs:

bunson70

I found the dog point screws at Fastenal. They call them full dog point. Their part number is : 25393. The description is 1/4-20 x 3/4. I had to purchase the nut seperate. The price was like $1.31 each. I hope this will help.