Sign in to follow this  
snowhound

416-8 electrical problem

snowhound

I'm new to this site and hope someone will be able to help. I have had problems with my 86 416-8 running poorly for a few months, we went through the normal checks, points, carb, bad grounds, but it still ran rough sometimes popping and backfireing and then recently it wouldn't even turn over.

When the key was turned on the amp gauge didn't move and there was no click from the solenoid. I found a bad battery terminal on the ignition switch and replace the switch. Now when the key is turned the amp guage shows a reading but when the key is turned to start the gauge drops to zero and nothing happens. I think it may be one of the safety switches. Is there any way to bypass all the switches at once to verify it is a safety switch?

One other thing I should mention the new ignition switch has one more terminal than the old one had, the dealer said it is the replacement for the one I had. The new terminal is at the outside edge of the back of the switch, does anyone know what it is for?

snowhound

JimD

it's possible that one or more of the safety witches is bad. it's also possible that the new key switch is the wrong one. i would only TEMPORARILY bypass one safety switch at a time to find the one that might be bad. the switches are a safety feature meant to safeguard the operator. it sure sounds like you have an electrical problem somewhere, and i'm sure others with far more knowledge of this model than me will be along with some great advice. best of luck sorting it out. :thumbs:

TT

:banghead:

If your 416 is a 1986 model, it will have the K-341 Kohler and not the M16 Magnum.

The 1986 would use a P/N 103990 (5 terminal / battery ignition) switch while the Magnum-equipped tractors use the P/N 103991 (6 terminal / magneto ignition) switch.

It's an easy and often-made mistake, but you must have the correct switch for things to work right.

Get the right switch installed and we can go from there. :thumbs:

rickv1957

Hello and :thumbs: Rick

snowhound

Thanks for the replys, I'll go back to the dealer and verify the switch he sold me is the right one.

snowhound

Found the problem, it wasn't a safety switch it was a bad replacement part. The new switch made no connection when turned to the end of the start posistion if backed off just a little contact is made and tractor starts. Looks like I'll be making a return trip to the dealer next Sat.

Thanks again for the replays....

snowhound