Sign in to follow this  
KeithB

a Red Square Face Book page?

Daddysgirl

:thumbs: I joined...I'm becoming a junkie!

Indy w h

Scott, I think I'm joined up? :banghead:Stupid iPhone

Indy

wheel horse 1045

:thumbs: I joined...I'm becoming a junkie!

its called wheel horse anonymous

whfan74

Got you on there Marshall! :thumbs:

whfan74

:WRS: I joined...I'm becoming a junkie!

its called wheel horse anonymous

We all have a sickness :thumbs:

and I am not ashamed to admit it! :banghead:

rickv1957

Indy,your on!,Rick

rmaynard

Peer pressure, peer pressure...okay I'm in.

Bob

whfan74

Glad you could make it Bob! :thumbs:

rickv1957

:banghead: I joined...I'm becoming a junkie!

That what I thought 33 years ago :thumbs: Rick

linen beige

I'm in!

whfan74

Glad you were able to make it Jim! :thumbs:

W9JAB

:banghead:

Facebook?

I get into all the trouble I can handel here! :thumbs:

Brrly1

I am in also, I think. Good Idea, I think. See Ya, Bye John

:thumbs:

Confused99

Just joined.

Rideawaysenior

Chalk me up too.

catman81056

Present and accounted for :thumbs:

nylyon

I'm going to move this to the general area. Although I have a facebook page, I do not log onto it for several reasons.

sscotsman

I dont see any reason whatsoever for a wheelhorse facebook page..

whats wrong with Redsquare?

any and all Wheelhorse discussion you could want fits here just fine..

Now we have discussions in two places instead of one..

I dont feel like joining the facebook page, so there might be interesting stuff im now going to miss, which would have been posted here if the facebook page didnt exist. :banghead:

having the facebook page just seems needlessly redundant to me..

whats the point?? :thumbs:

I dont like unnecessary dilution of discussion, especially for a small hobby like this..

Things like Nascar or the NFL can support a billion active forums..

but why split up wheelhorse discussion? personally, I vote no.

Scot

KeithB

i am pretty sure most discussions of any import will happen here.

I see the FB page bringing new members to Red Square.

sscotsman

i am pretty sure most discussions of any import will happen here.

I see the FB page bringing new members to Red Square.

hmmm..ok.

I hadnt thought of that..

But I dont see any reference to Redsquare on the facebook page..

(which I just checked out..)

I didnt realise you could make it "public" so you can see the page without offically joining..that makes it more useful..

I still dont really see any point to it..but ok. :banghead:

sorry to be a grouch about this..but I have been a member of Railfan discussion forums for 15 years..There are two active Lehigh Valley Railroad forums..and 5 more redundant yahoo forums on the same topic..people just go ahead and make the unnecessary redundant yahoo forums "just because they can".. for topics that are already well served and dont need any new forums....

then the yahoo forums end up being totally dead, because people ignore them because they eventually find the two active forums, and there isnt enough traffic to support 7 forums on the topic..but once in awhile a new person joins one of the yahoo forum and says.."hello?? anyone here?? im interested in talking about the Lehigh Valley Railroad? hello?"

and they get no replies, or just one or two weak replies, because the forum was abandoned, but not deleted, so they think "too bad..I guess there is no on-line interest in the LVRR..there is a forum here, but no one is home..oh well"..

but they only *think* there is no active on-line community because they had the misfortune to find a dead community, which had no business being created in the first place..if the 5 dead yahoo forums had never existed, the newby would have been far more likely to find the active communitys and join one immediately, rather than waste time wading through the dead ones first, and perhaps eventually giving up before he found the active communitys..

so thats why im against the creation of new, redundant forums or communities that serve no need...I think it does a disservice to the hobby, by making information harder to find, because its spread out all over the internet..I see no reason for more than one Wheelhorse community..

I would prefer to see everyones discussions and photos all in one place, and have just one vibrant community rather than five lackluster ones..

just my opinion.. :thumbs:

you dont have to agree.. :WRS:

Scot

Rollerman

Scot I don't think the FB page is intended to be an alternate forum to RS or any of the other Wheel Horse forums out there....& there are several.

But rather a place for members at these forums whom also use FB to link up there too.

As far as the Yahoo groups, I don't know to many people you still use them & like them.

I'm a mod at one & seldom see new posts.

The format used here & a few other GT sites works much better in my opinion than the Yahoo groups.

BUt these are just my thoughts or opinions.....now back on topic. :thumbs:

Brrly1

Boy Howdy, I can't remember the last time I posted anything on a Yahoo group. I mean you have MTF or The Tractor Barn amongst several others. No one is going to twist anybody's arm to join this group. Alot of people from here have already joined. I don't think you'll miss a thing.It's just something else to do.

See Ya, Bye Burly :thumbs:

:banghead:

stevasaurus

I am trying to figure this out and join Scott. I did manage to join FB...not sure how to use it. I love learning a new technoligy. :thumbs::WRS: Any insights would be welcomed to the FB challanged. :banghead:

CasualObserver

Scot, your point is well received, but I would pose it to you this way. Our hobby interests people in a wide range of ages, who have different levels of comfort or experience on the internet and have a wide variety of personalities, many of which are very strong minded and stubborn. When you get a large group of strong minds together, not everyone can play nicely with each other all the time. It's just the nature of the beast.

You are new here, but obviously not to internet forums/bulletin boards in general. It may interest you to know that there are currently (to my knowledge) at least 7 forums of this type as well as some major yahoo groups where one can actively discuss Wheel Horse garden tractors. There are also probably 20-30 minor yahoo groups that have various little niches that also still maintain the slow/occasional traffic like you mention.

Red Square happens to currently be the "hopping" place to be at the moment. Our members are fairly computer savvy and have an extremely wide range of expertise in different fields and experience, both in professional lives as well as collecting. We have Chemical Engineers, HVAC contractors, Electricians, Machinists, Union Operators, Carpenters, Police Officers, Mechanics, Pilots, and hundreds of other specialties. In the non-tractor forum here there is a whole topic about what people do. Every one brings something unique to the table.

In my opinion, twocents.gif tapping into the facebook line is just another outlet to try to link more people to our hobby. (For better or worse :thumbs: ) There may be people who search for things on facebook and would never mange to stumble across RS on their own. (we continue to get new members every day from somewhere!) After they find the facebook page, someone there will inevitably refer them to one of the many forums. I know for a fact that many members here participate in multiple forums, often discussing the same things. (In fact often just copy and pasting the same post into several forums) It may be redundant in some aspect, but to not do so would be very limiting. Not everyone hangs out at the same places. When you research something, don't you try to check out multiple sources? Get second opinions? Same thing.

soapzip.gif

rickv1957

Jason,well said! :thumbs: Rick