Sign in to follow this  
illinilefttackle

TRACTOR DYING!

illinilefttackle

NYLYON-PM sent! Thanks-AL

Guys! Anyone out there? I think my fuel pump is weak. You can watch the fuel in the filter as it runs-you can see tractor using fuel until just before it dies-the filter starts filling back up like the pump isn't pulling any fuel. How much should a pump cost? Should I use an electric ,low pessure? Thanks-AL

Rollerman

Al the fuel pumps used to be rebuildable...but Kohler no longer carries theparts & would rather sell a replacement pump it's self now.

They are about 50 bucks & can be had at about any small engine shop or car parts place that carries "Prime Line" small engine parts.

I hear a lot of people are going to the low pressure electric pumps...I have not tried it yet but it should be a simple job to make...wire it in with the positive coil & put a block off plate where the old fuel pump went..(if you want a cleaner look)

I beleive Jim M on here told me he has done the swap & maybe he'll chime in?

illinilefttackle

Wheel Horse wants $94 for a pump. I cant find any rebuild kits any where? Anybody know where i can get a rebuild kit for my fuel pump? Thanks-AL

MaineDad

Al,

I bought a replacement pump at NAPA for $42. Works fine. It's plastic, not steel like the original, but the cost was right. I saved the original and will rebuild it when I find a rebuild kit that is cheap enough.

TT

Before you get too wound up about the fuel pump, pull the shut-off valve out of the tank and check it. If the strainer is still intact, it might be plugged. If there's no strainer screen, it might be plugged with dirt. Watch the rubber grommet -- it will probably break unless it's different than all of mine. :thumbs: If you're nervous about taking it out, at least blow back through it when on the next step.

While you have the line off, pull it off behind the filter and blow back through it with compressed air. (not your mouth, either -- unless you're in to the gas taste :D )

Check the line from the tank forward and look for any pinched areas or weak spots that could be sucking shut. Or, better yet -- replace the hose if it hasn't been changed in the last 10 years or more. :thumbs:

If you have the ability to hook up a small gravity tank directly to the fuel inlet on the carburetor, try that too.

Rule out the cheaper possibilities BEFORE you buy a fuel pump.

illinilefttackle

Thanks guys for the quick replies. I think I've diagnosed it right-just before the engine dies, you can see the fuel filter filling up with fuel (instead of running out) and then it dies. The hoses are in good shape-the gas cap is venting.

I found a pump @ Napa for $40 -it will be in tomorrow! I'm sure this is the original pump on the tractor-27 years is a long time to pump fuel!

Thanks again-I'll post back the results.-AL :thumbs:

Rollerman

Al I'd follow TT's advice above too.

Another thing if the diaphram in the pump has failed it will probably be leaking gas back into the engine.

You might want to double check your oil for a gas smell or it could actually be higher if the crankcase is filling up.

combatmp29r

Al I would have to agree. I'm not saying your pump isn't bad, but sometimes one little piece of dirt will cause you lots of $$$$ in headaches. Ticksters right about the fuel in the oil thing too. I'd say I've had that 99% of the time I have a bad puimp. Always that 1 though.

CasualObserver

I've had that problem with the gas leaking into the crankcase before. Got a "mower" for free because of it. Lady said it kept overheating and wouldn't run for more than 20 minutes. Never fixed it properly... just put in a shutoff valve ahead of it, and now i just close it, and run it out of gas to shut it off! I know... pretty it's a pretty "ghetto" fix, but I had the shutoff valve and I've been using that free mower for the price of gas and oil for 3 years now!

Edit... bonus to this modified shutoff system is I NEVER have gas sitting in the carb to go bad or varnish!

Jim_M

I have been replacing the pumps with electric ones. I can't find the part number of the pump that I buy now that I need it. It's made by Facet and I usually buy them from the locally owned small time auto parts store down the road for about $25.00. They sell 2 pumps, you want the one with a maximum pressure of 2 psi.

I see a lot of them on eBay and I got lucky last fall and got one for under $15.00 with shipping.

Just mount it somewhere between the tank and the engine, but preferably not on the engine, (they don't take heat very well, learned the hard way) and hook the wire to the switch side of the coil. I make a block off plate out of 1/4" aluminum to replace the pump. You can also just put a piece of hose on your old pump between the inlet and outlet, and leave it in place. They work great for me and I've only had one fail on me, but it was my own fault, I mounted it on the engine block and heat killed it.

TT

I have yet to install an electric pump on any of my tractors, but I do have to ask this question to those who have.....

Are you installing a fuse in the power wire? :thumbs:

(I personally don't like the idea of the pump kicking on every time the ignition switch is turned on and would opt for a seperate toggle switch to be installed in series with the "hot in run/start position" power lead -- and if properly "concealed", could actually serve as an anti-theft device too. :thumbs: )

Buzz

Joe (mrfixit82852) posted this list of electric fuel pumps on one of his sites. Thought it might help:

Below are three different electric fuel pumps. The last one is a Napa

fuel pump. But what ever you do, for safety reasons, when wiring them

up, wire them to the ignition switch so when the key is turned off

there is no power going to them.

Joe

Facet/Purolator Automotive

Electronic

Fuel Pump. (Facet's part number is FEP 42SV, and

Purolator's part numbers are

PRO 42S [1.5 - 4 p.s.i.] or PRO 42SV [2 - 3.5 p.s.i..)

They're compact, vibration-proof (has solid state dependability) , self-

priming, easy to install and connect the wiring, won't flood the

carburetor and they draw very little amperage from the battery. They're

available at most auto parts stores for about

$38.00 each. They're perfect for garden tractors!

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -

------

It is a napa part

#610-1051, and is called a POSI-FLO fuel pump. Here are the stats on

it.

12 Volts

1.5-4 PSI

25 Gal./hr.

95 Liters/hr.

Compatible with all fuel additives

Eliminates Vapor Lock

two wire design

self-priming

Price $32.00 +/-

illinilefttackle

Thanks for all your posts guys! I went to napa this morn and was greeted with this dilemma-They had the small electrics -or-the original type for about the same price. I chose to go with the original mechanical pump for $39. While I was at it I bought another fuel filter ,some new fuel line , some screw type clamps also.

I disassembled the carb, bowl off ,took out all the jets I could etc. I bought a new air filter too. As you can see I figured if I was going to freeze my a## off outside it had better work. I blew out the screen in the shut off and put all new hose from the tank to the carb. I cleaned the carb and blew everything out with compressed air. I put the new pump on-they now have an O ring between the pump and the engine. Brian Millers page said they where having leaks with just a gasket and the plastic body pump. BOY! if you haven't put on of these pumps in lately-wait til you see how you have to install the fittings in the pump! You use a gigantic snap ring to push in(simultaneously) the two locks-while you install the fittings-like Ford fuel lines- Kinda like rubbing your stomach and patting your head at the same time.

Well needless to say-The Ole' girl started right up (after I put an air hose in the tank opening with a rag to prime everything) -and she ran strong for over a half an hour while I adjusted everything. Never ran so good-sounds better too!

I've got my Dancing Partner back-now all I need is a little more snow to try her out! Thanks again for the help-you know how frustrating it can be when your tractor won't run right! Aggravating!-AL :thumbs:

Kelly

Glad to hear all is well, I like to put new fuel lines and filters on all the tractors I get. I kinda went though the same thing with my truck, yesterday I didn't think I was going to make it home after work, I tested the fuel press. and found a pluged filter gotta love the clean $3.25 gal. gas we have, I put a new filter on and gained 50hp so while i was bundled up for the cold I fixed my exh. and a few other things I've been meaning to fix.

T-Mo

Al,

I'm glad you not only found the problem but it is now fixed. :thumbs: As for snow, I do know we going to get some Monday, Monday night and into Tuesday here in my little area of Missouri. So it probably will be headed that way eventually. :thumbs: