Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

Best Transmission for Pushing Snow

rmaynard

I guess this is a sort of poll, but I would like to hear opinions on what is considered the best transmission for pushing snow.

While in the process of restoring my 1977 B-100 8-speed, I have acquired several other "project" tractors for parts. I am considering taking all the unused parts and building a hybrid.

So my question to all of you is what is your favorite transmission for pushing snow, in the 1975 to 1979 B and C series tractors?

Incidentally, I love my 10hp, 8-speed in 3rd gear, full throttle, for pushing.

Bob

Rideawaysenior

Are you refering to the difference between a hydro vs standard? The 8 speeds and the three speed Uni-Drives are pretty much the same. Comparing to a hydro, now then there is a difference. I for one prefer the hydro. The warm up time is a draw back, but the up side is that you can change speed and direction fast. I also think it helps as you can regulate your speed easier. The hydraulic lift that is on most of the hydros is also nice.

rickv1957

I would have to say the hydro,on my C141 auto, I can change speed on the go if need be,Rick

rmaynard

On a typical 20 to 30 degree day, how long is the warm up on the hydro, and how do you warm it up?

Bob

rickv1957

Bob,no warm up time,tractors inside heated shop,otherwise would be 10 minutes or so,Rick

rmaynard

I would have to say the hydro,on my C141 auto, I can change speed on the go if need be,Rick

Rick,

I have a C-161 (parts machine) without an engine, and pretty much taken apart, that I got from Dale. Do you thinks it's worth my time and effort to try to resurrect it? He says the tranny is good.

337e7158.jpg

Bob

TT

NOTHING beats the ability of a hydro to be able to rock the tractor back & forth quickly when stuck. You just have to make sure the hub setscrew are tight once in a while - which you should technically do an all models.

I have pushed snow (and mowed) using tractors with both types of transaxles and definitely prefer the hydro - especially those with hydraulic lift.

The C-161 is a "no-brainer"....... you only have one tractor listed in your signature, so you definitely need more! :banghead:

As long as the hydro unit is strong, it'll be a great tractor and I really think you'll enjoy operating it. At low outside temperatures, I can be out the door on my 416H or GT-1848 in about 5 minutes. I don't push it hard for another 5 or 10 minutes, but once it's warmed up, stay out of the way! :thumbs:

rickv1957

TT anwsered the question,fix,er up!,Rick

rmaynard

Thanks guys. You've just made my wife extremely happy. :thumbs:

I told her that I would try to keep it off her side of the garage. Try? :banghead:

Wish me luck. Now I've got to find a good engine for cheap :WRS:

Bob

rickv1957

You can put the solid mount engine on your C161 tractor,Rick