Sign in to follow this  
Shuboxlover

Swapping front axle/spindles

Shuboxlover

I was wondering if the front axle out of my 312-8 spindles and all would bolt up to my C-160? Is this a smart idea or not. I would think it would be better to use wheels that have bearings in them, as opposed to the ones on the C-160 now, where they are just metal spindle on metal wheel.

Let me know what you think

Thanks

Kelly

Why not just swap wheels if both are the 8" some 312's only had 6" you can swap everything it will bolt right in, I've never seen a C-160 or any other C with out wheel bearings??

rickv1957

The C160 had wheelbearings from the factory,Rick

rustynut

there should be greACE in them anyway. but im pretty shure theres a bearing in the rim? isnt there anyone i have took apart like that has a bearing in the rim

Shuboxlover

I took a front tire off the other day to go get it fixed and unlike my work horse or my 312, I had to take a bolt out of the end of the spindle, and I am 99% sure there was no bearings in the rim.....it just slid right over the spindle and was secured by a bolt....not a snap ring :thumbs: :banghead:

Kelly

Yes I'm sure if you cleaned the grease off there is a bearing on both sides of the rim, the early tractors had a 3/8" bolt and large washer to hold the wheel assembly on.

rickv1957

The older tractors had the bolt instead of the snapring,Im sure it has bearings,Rick :thumbs:

rmaynard

All C-160's from 1974 on had wheel bearings. Original pn 4999, has been changed to Toro number 110513. If you didn't have bearings in there, your front wheels would be doing the hokey pokey all over the road. :thumbs:

Bob

rickv1957

Bob,hokey pokey? :banghead: Thats good! :thumbs: Rick

rustynut

yes thers a bolt in the end of the spindles on the older models and i swear theres bearings in the rims cause i have one that you have to take the bodl out of the spindle cause thats what hod the rim on and there was bearings in the rims trust me :thumbs: :banghead:

Shuboxlover

and I am 99% sure there was no bearings in the rim.....

:banghead::lol::WRS::hide::wwp: I'll double check tomorrow, and hopefully eat crow :thumbs: no excuses, just was in a hurry, and knew it wasn't the same as my others, just threw me off.

I'll chime back in tomorrow

TT

Maybe they aren't the original front wheels. :thumbs:

Some manufacturers - including Wheel Horse - used bushings instead of bearings.

gwgdog66

and I am 99% sure there was no bearings in the rim.....

:banghead::lol::WRS::hide::wwp: I'll double check tomorrow, and hopefully eat crow :thumbs: no excuses, just was in a hurry, and knew it wasn't the same as my others, just threw me off.

I'll chime back in tomorrow

I've pulled a couple off of older C's that had a bushing (PO's may have done it). I knocked them out and replaced with the bearing that (Ray provided the PN). That is what should be in the wheel rim. Napa makes a good replacement bearing also. :lol:

sorekiwi

A lot of the early 60's tractors used the bushing in the front wheels instead of a wheel bearing. IIRC the parts lists even call it a wheel bearing.

Its the same size as the ball type bearing, but is made of some sort of sintered material. Its grey like cast iron and it machines like cast iron, but I dont think it is cast iron.

It actually seems to work pretty well, but 50 years later most of them are starting to show a little wear.

Shuboxlover

Turns out.........WE ARE ALL CORRECT!!!! :banghead:

The left tire, which I had to take off to get fixed does not have bearings in it.....I didn't even look at the right one, cuz I figured they were the same.....BUT.....the right side HAS bearings, just like you guys said it should.

So my next questions are....

1) would the rims from my workhorse parts tractor (GT-1142) work on this????

2) Which spindles are better.....the spindles that use a bolt to hold the rim on? Or a retaining ring?

3) Are the rims from my parts tractor the exact same as the right side one on my C-160 if I just changed the left one out, would they match? (I know you can only see one side at a time, but I am anal like that) :thumbs:

Kelly

Ok no bearings but does it have plastic or metal bushings???

Shuboxlover

I don't think so... :thumbs:

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-3-1263750606.jpg

Shuboxlover

on the spindle

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-3-1263750662.jpg

rmaynard

Are you sure that the bearing is not seized to the spindle and pulled right out of the rim?

TT

You will want to get that one off of there - if it isn't already too late. I suspect the spindle will have considerable wear.

(that rim could be off the back of a lawn tractor)

They're the same, so yes - you can swap spindle(s) and wheel(s) from the GT if you need to. (providing no one messed with the GT wheels too. :thumbs: )

Sparky

Dont use the ones that came on the C-160 as it'll just wreck the front spindle. Use the pair off the GT-1142 assuming it has bearings. They should aslo have grease fittings. The bolted spindle is much better than the "E-clipped" one in my opinion.

Mike........

Shuboxlover

In your opinion, why is the spindles that use the bolt better than the snap ring ones?

Sparky

I've seen the snap ring pop off and it aint pretty :thumbs: . The Black Hood tractors came with the snap ring setup. The bolt just seems like a better more trustworthy design.

Mike.......

Kelly

Yup your right no bearing in there, as TT said get it off and check the spindle out see if it scarred it up, I've done that set up just to move tractors around never to use the PO must have thought it would be fine.

pfrederi

I've seen the snap ring pop off and it aint pretty :thumbs: . The Black Hood tractors came with the snap ring setup. The bolt just seems like a better more trustworthy design.

Mike.......

There being two sides to every issue it is also not pretty when the bolt backs out...