Sign in to follow this  
Stigian

312-8 Toolbox Thingy

Stigian

Do you ever wonder where your trailer towing pins vanish to if you dont use them for a few days :thumbs:

The normal place to keep them is in the WH tool box, but my 312-8 being of the non tipping rear fender kinda flavor didnt have one :D

But what i did have was this tool/rectanglular record box :D kicking about the place :P

It was a tad on the big side though :D

100_2519.jpg

Time to put operation "Chop and channel" or was it "chop and narrow" into action :D

First off some careful measuring and marking. i find the "cut here" arrows help as i sometimes forget which side of lines/tape to cut :D

100_2520.jpg

Now available as a 3 piece kits in a store near you :o

100_2521.jpg

Mocked up with the aid of masking tape.

The tool box should handle much better now with its lower center of gravity :P:P

100_2522.jpg

After spending a few weeks doing heavy duty welding on the snowplow, welding on this "2 grades above coke can" thin metal was a nightmare :thumbs:

Lots of holes blown and a fair bit of distortion.

"its not bent, it has that lived in look" :D

After a bit of narrowing the size was much better, just the lid to weld up.

100_2569.jpg

And the disaster struck :P

Just as i was welding up the last inch or so the lid popped and warped in that kinda way that wants to stay twisted one way or the other but not sit square.

The only way i could think of getting the twist out was to heat the whole lid up and then weigh it down with some heavy flat wood to hold it flat until cooled.

So the lid was chucked in the wood burner :D

It worked, the lid is now almost square, just a little burnt :)

100_2570.jpg

After wire brushing off the brown bits and burnt paint it had a kinda aged look that i quite like, it matches the 312-8 in that respect :o

Of course i had to chuck the rest of the tool box in the fire to get the same look :D

I think it looks quite good after a couple of coats of rattle can clear :P

100_2572.jpg

T-Mo

Hmm, I kind of like it better after the "burning". :thumbs: It had that rustic, live-in look.

Again, though, Ian, nice commentary on your "adventures in fabricating". :thumbs:

Rollerman

Ian thats one of the things where I think Wheel Horse gave something up they shouldn't of.... :thumbs:

Sometime in the 70's they did away with the flip up seats with the tool box/grime collector area underneath...& eventually sticking the tank under there too.

Most of my tractors are for hobby...but then again my lot is so small I could go over it with a magnet & find a lost hitch pin in 20 minutes.

But I like your idea & have a few ammo cans laying around I've though about mounting up for the same purpose. :thumbs:

Greg B.

:thumbs: :thumbs: No one can ever say that Ian takes the easy way out! I like the finish you put on your box. It would blend well with my tractor.

Greg B.

kj4kicks

Nice job on the "chopped & channelled" box Ian !!

Sparky

Yep., a tool box is a neccasary item. I went with an AMMO box on the fender. I keep a few tools and a tow strap since this is my woods tractor.

Dualie008.jpg

Mike.............

Stigian

Nice ammo box Mike, it certainly looks the part :thumbs:

Mith

Nice job Ian.

Why WheelHorse didnt put a toolbox on them is a mystery to me. Even with the fuel tank there is room under the seat for a tray to drop in a few spanners and pins.

Michcruiser60

Looks good so far. I like mine. I try to keep my pins and a few hand tools inside. It beats walking back to the house if I'm out in the woods and need something. In the stock box I always keep some chain, strap and a pair of leather gloves.

mytractors002.jpg

953lights002.jpg