Sign in to follow this  
Lawn Ranger kid

Engine paint removal

Lawn Ranger kid

What is the best way to remove paint from an engine. Should it be sandblasted or done another way.

Thanks Josh

sorekiwi

I wouldnt blast it, you can never tell whether you got rid of all the sand (or beads) when you are done.

I assume you are wanting to remove the old paint in order to spray new paint on?

The shrouds, air cleaner and the other "tins" I remove from the engine and put through the electrolysis tank. They normally need a bit of straightening and tweaking anyway.

You didnt say whether the motor is still together or if you are talking about a bare block. If its all together, I just make sure all the orifices are sealed, and hit it with some engine degreaser and then (preferably warm) water. You can work the degreaser into the nasty spots with a toothbrush and the small diameter "bottle brush" type deals work good to. This will remove any flaking paint. Usually anything that sticks after this is stuck well enough for you to be able to paint over.

Dry it off with compressed air (or a heat gun), then decide if its clean enough for paint or if you need to go back and hit a few places again. On the second time around, brake clean works well and is economical enough if your just doing the spots you missed the first time.

VinsRJ

If you have it torn down, soak the block in lacquer thinner; removes all the grime, oil and paint. A die grinder with a wire wheel will remove the rust from the exhaust area.

rickv1957

After removing tins and sealing openings,I just use my hot water power washer with cleaner,does a great job,Rick

gd.pudge

oven cleaner works well too.just dont get it on you and wear eye protection

jusjeepn

I use carb cleaner and pressure washer! :thumbs:

Lawn Ranger kid

Thanks I will try these. :thumbs: Josh