Sign in to follow this  
Polaris2007

Tire Chains ???

Polaris2007

Guys, what is the best (cheapest) place to buy a set of tire chains for my 23x8.50-12 Carlisle AG treads? Does the fact that they are AG treads mean I need a different size chain? Or do the chains for 23X8.50-12 tires still fit? I'm pretty sure I want the "2 -link" chains and not the "4-link" right?? These chains will be used primarily in winter for plowing snow. Anyone have any pearls of wisdom for me?

rickv1957

I would suggest the 2 link for sure,Rick

Retired Wrencher

I would suggest the 2 link for sure,Rick

:thumbs::banghead: I agree Rick I bought a set of 2 link at my wheelhorse dealer and they work great u do not get that kick in the butt like u get with 4 link. but some times cheaper is not better. t/c/all. Gary B.....

Kelly

You need the 2 link chains with ag tires, the 4 link will tend to drop down between the bars, even the 2 link might do that, on the farm tractors they have X style chains to use with ag tires.

Kelly

Oh and to answer your questions, ebay is a good place to buy chains, but check your local dealers not just one, but all of them JD, case, even farm tractor dealers most of them also work on garden tractors, they may have a nice used set to sell also, and ones for your size tire should fit properly.

WHC-125

As the other members said chains on ag tires dont do much at all. My C-145 has ag tires and 4 link chains on it now and they do almost nothing. So if you can get ahold of a set of turf I would recommend running turfs and chains in the winter time. Preferably 2 link.

Polaris2007

Turfs, in the snow, for plowing? I have a newer craftsman tractor that has turfs on it, and it will not even THINK about moving an inch in the snow that I have been driving the C-120 all around in. So with no chains, the AGs are WAY better in the snow than the turfs. So if I were to put chains on both the AGs and the turfs, the turfs would "come from behind" and have better traction than the AGs with chains??

Of course my comparison is flawed because I am talking about two vastly different tractors. Can anyone else offer their experience with AGs in chains vs. turfs in chains on the same tractor? Thanks again guys!

WHC-125

If you have turfs with chains it would be better because there would be more surface area on the ground and the chains would cover the whole width of the tire nstead of going in between the treads.

pfrederi

I have Ag tires on my L107. She is my trailer girl and hauls the coal wagon in the winter. Ags are great on mud and wet but she wouldn't make it up the hill with the AG tires once it snowed. Turfs with chains and she is back in business.

Ags with chains ...as indicated the cross links tend to place themselves between the tread bars and do not do much good.

You might try to find an old set of car tire chains or an odd lawn tractor set. Then using a pair of chain pliers (good luck finding them these days) take off some of the cross links and hook them to your tractor tire chains between the cross links. (parallel to the side chain but near the center). You may have to hook to every other cross chain depending on the length of your salvaged cross links. That would approximate the way real tractor tire chains are made, and keep some chain on your tire tread bars.

Rideawaysenior

Chains on AG tires are going to give you one heck of a rough ride too and there is really no even place for the chain to seat. I'd get a set of turf tires and chain those up. I also agree with Rick V. Get the two link set. They will give you a smoother ride and provide much better traction for you.

T-Mo

sorekiwi

I've never used chains on Ags (because everyone told me they dont work). But chains on loaded Turfs work great, and much better than Ags with no chains.

I got mine a couple pf years ago from Cedar Rapids Tire, they're website didnt list my size so I called them. They said they'd call me back and did within 10 minutes, I had chains 2 days later... Even with shipping they were cheaper than Sears.

http://www.cedarrapidstire.com/home.php

Sarge

I've used chains on ag tires quite a bit . They must be 2-link spacing and diamond or modified H pattern works even better since it will keep them out of the bar spacing on the tires. Even just plain old 2-link chains work fine, with the added bite from the ag tires it makes a tractor nearly unstoppable. The only issue I've ever had was fairly steep side hills-the ags themselves will side-slip but even with the added 2-link chains they still can be an issue. The only other drawback is nicely finished asphalt - you will mark it up pretty good. That, and if you spin them off-pavement you will dig holes quickly.

When I plow snow here the shape/size of the area that is plowed is pretty big so I push the piles waaayyy back . In fact, I make a point out of making the piles into ramps to allow the fresh stuff to be pushed over the top. Right now there are piles well over 5' tall and I've had them over 6' . The Horse will just keep climbing as long as it doesn't spin the wheels too bad, otherwise it will get stuck while at a 45* angle...

Sarge

GlenPettit

WEIGHT, WEIGHT, WEIGHT> This makes everything have much better traction.

The more rubber or tread on ice gives less "pounds-per-square-inch" and equals less traction.

Concentrating the weight on a smaller footprint (tread or chain) equals more traction.

Keep the weight low and don't forget to have some weight up front for steering traction too.

I like turf with 2-link chain because of the smoother ride and always a couple of cross links on the bottom digging in. No chains, then Ag's.

can whlvr

i would recomend 2 link with v bars,thjhey give a little xtra bite,sorry im from canada and dont know the cheapest place to get them

Lane Ranger

I don't know if they are the cheapest but they have one of the best all around garden tractor tire chsin selections you can buy online.

I have attached the link below.

FAQ on Garden Tractor Chains

What is the difference between 2 and 4 link spacing? Spacing is defined as the number of side chain links skipped between cross chains. For 2 link spacing, cross chains occur every 2 side chain links. For 4 link spacing, cross chains occur every 4 side chain link.

Which is better 2 or 4 link spacing? 2 link is always better. It provides for a more consistent ride by having more chain on the face of the tire. Therefore, helping to reduce the bumpy ride from being on chain - off chain. 2 link is always recommended for steering tires, since it allows more steering control.

When are V-Bar chains recommended? V-bar is helpful on hills, ice and hard packed conditions. They are not recommended on pavement since they can damage the surface if the tires begin to spin.

Do I have enough clearance between the tire, struts, or control arms? Check your your owner's manual, vehicle manufacture or dealer to confirm adequate clearance. Click here for a picture of a clearance problem.

Where do I find application and recommended use information? Click Here for tractor make, model, tire size and application information.

Installation Instructions Click here for detailed installation instructions for garden tractor chains.

http://www.tirechain.com/GardenTractorChains.htm

Operator

In my area I've found the best price at Tractor Supply Corp.

Randy

catman81056

This is my snow machine, I haven't gotten stuck yet.

DSCF0643.jpg

Course these sure do help, 98 lbs. apiece, plus my 300, I have plenty of weight :thumbs:

DSCF0471.jpg

T-Mo

I repeat, Vulcan Tires http://www.vulcantirechains.com/tirechains_util.htm

For 23 x 8.50 x 12, 2 link chains

Cedar Tire - $66 plus change

Tirechain.com - $65 plus change

Vulcan - $45

And Vulcan has the lowest shipping price. And for 23 x 9.5 x 12, $43 for 2 link chains, and $31 for 4 link chains. Why pay more? And Tractor Supply is high.

Polaris2007

Catman,

I was thinking of making some weights EXACTLY as you have done! It's like you planted the design in my head! Will your weights fit on the 12" wheels of my C-120? Any way you could tell me the thickness of the plate you used, and the diameter of each disc size? This could save me a lot of R&D time :thumbs:

Thanks a bunch....Jon H.

tgranthamfd

I repeat, Vulcan Tires http://www.vulcantirechains.com/tirechains_util.htm

For 23 x 8.50 x 12, 2 link chains

Cedar Tire - $66 plus change

Tirechain.com - $65 plus change

Vulcan - $45

And Vulcan has the lowest shipping price. And for 23 x 9.5 x 12, $43 for 2 link chains, and $31 for 4 link chains. Why pay more? And Tractor Supply is high.

Wish this was on here before Christmas, would have saved myself a few bucks. Bought a set of 8.50's off of e-bay and a set of 9.50's from tirechains.com :thumbs: Oh well I will know if I decide to get any more.

Kelly

Just remember most of the time you get what you pay for, I have piles of tire chains ( most I have left are old ruff chains) but some are built from heavy chain others light duty chain, heck I have a pair I swear are built out of dog chain, very light weight, I guess ask what a pair weighs that will tell you who has the heavy duty chains. I'm sure they all will work, but how soon do you want to buy another set???

catman81056

I'll measure those tonite Jon and yes they'll fit your rims :thumbs:

bork

Wow catman, Youda man!!! Were those disc left over from a job or metal scrap pile or did you cut out just for yourself? Did you use an electro crane, to line up for bolting together? Watch them fingers!