Sign in to follow this  
Gene_S

Stuck In Virginia

rmaynard

Gene,

My prize is just knowing that you are home safe and sound.

:thumbs:

Bob

Coadster32

I'm just seeing this post for the first time. As far as being a dumb-a**, well all I can say is that we ALL take our turn at that. (some more than others) :thumbs::WRS: Glad to hear your home Gene. :banghead:

Duff

U-Haul "will not" rent a car dolly to anyone using a Ford Explorer to pull it! My brother has a V8 Explorer and it done a great job by the way! U-Haul said they have had several lawsuits involving the explorer.

Say what???? I had a V-6 Explorer and pulled a 3,000 pound boat and a horse trailer (with horse) to h*ll and back with it for three years, and the going wasn't flat or easy. Never so much as a whimper or a warning light! Can't be that much different than a car on a towing dolly.

But that's grist for another mill. Glad you made it home safely, and like some of the guys have said, we've all been there in the dumb ass department at some point. Heck, sometimes my wife thinks I live in a perpetual state of dumb ass! :thumbs:

Duff :banghead:

linen beige

U-Haul "will not" rent a car dolly to anyone using a Ford Explorer to pull it!

:thumbs:

Sounds like a dealer that is a bit behind the times. Those suits were because of the Firestone tires that were prone to blowouts. A few years have passed since that problem was rectified, but it may still be tied up in the legal system. :banghead:

Glad you got home safe.

stevasaurus

Glad you made it back Gene...that bad cell in the battery got me one time. Could have taken the battery out of the boat (I was fishing on Lake Michigan), but thought it was the starter. Ended up the wife drove up, picked us up and pulled the boat home. The truck got towed home the next day. :thumbs:

I wouldn't feel stupid...just didn't go far enough at the time to find the problem, didn't have all my tools either. PLUS, I had fish to clean. Priorities :banghead:

hodge

Thanks for all the ideas guys!

After much thought and me needing to get back to work because the other guy that covers Indiana with me is on vacation this week, my brother and his son are driving all night to be here at 8 am with a car dolly. I have a bad feeling the garage wont find the problem after spending 5 hours saturday with no luck. Nothing worse I hate is being 800 miles from my tools...

You know the truck has 127,000 with the origanal fuel pump (fuel pump comes on like usual), cap, rotor, and wires. We changed the plugs about 5,000 miles before our last vacation.

We'll get this thing home and get her fixed. Nothing worse then being in a town where you don't know the local garage!

You're very right Stevebo it could be much worse. On our way here during the snow storm last Saturday, Garmin took us accross the mountain on US-250 in WV into VA. Beautiful scenery after getting 2 feet of snow just not much on making good time.

Thanks again for all the good advice!

Thanks,

Gene

When you crossed the mountain at Afton, you were about 10 miles from me! Did you see me waving? :thumbs:

Sorry to hear about your troubles, and I wish that it had happened in Waynesboro- I could have taken good care of you!

Note to other RS members- if you are going to drive through VA, and are anywhere near the Waynesboro area, be sure to break down there- you will be taken care of!

God bless, and happy new year!

hodge

No! Gene But don't feel bad, I have had my fair share of Dumb Ass Attacks :lol:

The main thing is your safe, at home now, and no one is hurt! :thumbs: Things can always be worse! Glad ya made it home! :wwp:

I have to raise my hand at that. I have made some dumb mistakes, and most of the time I overthink things, instead of looking for the simplest solution first. Oh well, life is a learning curve, and it is much easier to accept these things when the solution is a cheap one!

Gene_S

I did see you waving at us Hodge... :thumbs: I'll remember that next time that you are that close... The wife said next time we go we are flying... I did over think the situation... Sometimes things are more easier then they appear!

Then today the wife and I went to a New Year Day aution close to us. Driving my truck this time (97 Chevy 1/2 ton 4X4 5.0 liter Vortec) and the check engine light come on, wasn't shifting into overdrive and when it shifted from 1st to 2nd it shifted really hard!!! Gosh when it rains it pours... I'll wait for a little warmer weather to look at that. Seams like maybe there may be a vacuum problem.

Thanks,

Gene

oldandred

A description with make and model would be nice. However I used to have the same problem with my 2003 Chevy Astro. This is a V-6 with the distributor in the back. After a hard rain, I would always have to remove the front passenger seat to get the engine cover out, remove the distributor cap and rotor, and dry it all with a hair dryer. :thumbs: Finally after doing this 3 times and changing the cap twice, I found a cap that has not allowed water to get in.:banghead: Hope the mechanic is smart enough to look for water or condensation inside the cap if it has one.

It is obvious that water or dampness has something to do with the problem. Being inside the shop all weekend may just dry it out so that Monday morning it will start and they really won't be able to diagnosis it. They should be able to do a computer scan and see if any codes have registered.

Bob

Hay now that sounds like my work van same type van but with 200,000 miles on her in was in the shop about four weeks ago and they said they fixed it but well after the hard rain we had two weeks ago SOS after about ten min, running the miss goes away it sure kills the gas milage

rickv1957

Been there and done that!,Rick

rocking 416

whats wrong with a 4.3? they 263 cubic feet of gm power!!

rmaynard

Nothing is wrong with a 4.3 that a good tight distributor cap won't fix. I've had 3 Astros with 4.3's and a GMC with the same engine. Great engine with no problems until the 2003 with it's dawdanged cap and rotor problems.

Bob

TT

263 cubic feet

:banghead:

That's an awfully big engine for such a little vehicle!

What's the bore & stroke on that thing? :thumbs: :WRS:

rmaynard

I didn't even catch that. Good eyes TT.

Bob

whfan74

Glad you are back in good old Indiana Gene! Sorry for the hassles and the new headaches that are wanting to pop up for you.

Hopefully it is another easy fix!