Sign in to follow this  
kajamo240

Starter Issues

kajamo240

While I was trying to investigate the starter issue that I had, I took it apart trying to figure out how to remove the starter bendex gear. I finally figured out how and went to go give the horse one more attempt to start before I got my parts (In hope that since its Christmas and all it would fire up) Well, I get everything back together and turn the key with the anticipation that everything would work as it was before I took everything apart.

Now all my starter does is click. :notworthy: What the heck is going on? Any ideas?

stevasaurus

One click is usually the bendix spring, ie, starter not enguaging...could be the bushings...multiple clicks is a low battery. If you need to start it to use it...you can do the figure 8 fanbelt method with a second tractor...use the other tractor to crank the dead one. :notworthy:

kajamo240

Yeah it only clicks once. What would cause this to happen? The bendex gear isn't even engaging. Could it be something wrong with the bottom part of the starter? I know when I took it apart, the bottom fell down and those 4 little triangle looking things came out of their little slots. I just put them back in like it was no big deal.

Could that be what is making the starter click?

Kelly

Not sure but you have a starter in the mail, put a little oil on it and give it a try, I didn't try it at all.

sodbuster

if you have had the starter apart. you might have installed the spring in the wrong position??

kajamo240

I will take it apart again and put it back together. This time, I will be a little more attentive in making sure its put together correctly. :notworthy:

Thanks Kelly, I really appreciate you doing this for me in such a hectic time of the year! You got your money right?

Kelly

yup we are all good Matt. hope it works for you.

Duff

Yeah I know when I took it apart, the bottom fell down and those 4 little triangle looking things came out of their little slots. I just put them back in like it was no big deal.

Could that be what is making the starter click?

Matt, if those little triangle things you are referring to were black and looked like small pieces of coal, they're the brushes that make the electrical part of the starter motor work. If one of them got crossed up or isn't making good contact, that would make the starter act weird. Might be worth taking it to an electrical motor repair shop to have them check and set them properly. JMHO.... :thumbs:

Duff :notworthy:

kajamo240

Matt, if those little triangle things you are referring to were black and looked like small pieces of coal, they're the brushes that make the electrical part of the starter motor work. If one of them got crossed up or isn't making good contact, that would make the starter act weird. Might be worth taking it to an electrical motor repair shop to have them check and set them properly. JMHO....

Duff

Yeah, they do look like little pieces of coal. There is a small engine place by my house that I can bring it to and hopefully he can help me get it working right...

Thanks Duff! :notworthy:

can whlvr

try tapping it with a hammer lightly

sorekiwi

try tapping it with a hammer lightly

If you are going to do that, tap really lightly - those permanent magnets break really really easily.

Thats why Wheel Horse went to the trouble of printing a decal that says "dont hit this with a hammer"

kajamo240

Thanks for the tips guys. I got a couple more starters and plan on putting one of the new ones on. If these ones ever break, I will try to tap it...

stevasaurus

Matt...I was just rereading this thread, and it dawned on me that a starter solinoid may be the problem. That is where you would get one click I know what it looks like on a car, but not sure on the tractors. Maybe someone else has the knowledge for this. :thumbs:

kajamo240

I got a different starter on it today and it works great. Thanks to a nice member here!

I am going to tinker around with the old one to see what may have gone wrong... :thumbs:

stevasaurus

Good for you Matt...this place is full of nice members. :thumbs:

Bow_Extreme

By the way. If you ever need a new starter solenoid for your B-80 just visit the local autoparts store and ask for a starter solenoid for a 78-79 F150. It's identical to the one in your tractor although it may have one extra accessory terminal on the side and they are only 12 bucks or less.

kajamo240

By the way. If you ever need a new starter solenoid for your B-80 just visit the local autoparts store and ask for a starter solenoid for a 78-79 F150. It's identical to the one in your tractor although it may have one extra accessory terminal on the side and they are only 12 bucks or less.

Good info! I think the one that I have on there is original. By what I am told, it is on its 4th motor and I think everything else is still original so this might come in handy some day soon.