dustycarter

Wanting to build a front end loader for my 312-8

dustycarter

Hi. I am wanting to build a FEL for my 312-8. I have no clue where to start. I don't know what size tubing to use or nothing. I don't really know how to build one without plans. I have checked out P.F engineering I just don't have that extra money. I don't know whether to put hydraulics or actuators on it. Acyuators are so much easier and are expensive but the ones at northern tool have ones that have a 12 inch stroke and a rated capacity at 1350lbs. I know hydraulics but I have never fooled with any kind of pumps and wouldn't know what to get. I have changed lines and cylindrs but never dealt with the pumps or resivors. The pump just bypasses the fluid if it's unused to the resivoir. :notworthy: I guess I am not the master at hydraulics. Actuators you just wire and your done. I guess your proabably thinking I am dumb but it's just nice to have people like you all that can help out a great deal. I appreciate any and all input that is given. Thank you all and hope you have a merry christmas and a happy new year. :thumbs:

DSCF2791.jpg

• Like 1

sorekiwi

There are quite a few threads over on MTF about homebuilt loaders, and the ongoing hydraulic vs electric argument. Another option to consider is the "Johnny Bucket" type set-up.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Check out the threads here about Nicks Lawn Ranger as well.

If it were me, I'd get some plans from someone thats worked out how strong the thing needs to be. If I had to save money to pay for the plans, I'd be looking to buy the steel from a scrap yard or getting "drops" from the welding shop. Steel is so expensive these days you dont want to have to build stuff twice because it wasnt strong enough the first time!

Seems to me that it might be cheaper to buy a used one than to build a new one

EDIT: Just found this thread to get you started: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=106142

A few opinions on the PF plans, a few pictures of completed loaders, and even one guys quick cost breakdown!

Every 6 months or so, I get kinda interested in building one, research it a bit, and decide that "no, I still cant afford it!"

• Like 1

rickv1957

I would have to agree with Mike,finding a good used loader at a reasonable price can be done and will bolt right on,Rick

Nick

Yep have to agree with Mike also. Unless you find some really good deals on new or used material it can easily cost more to build than buy a used loader. A slip scoop something like Johnny bucket sells might be a good option also. If your not going to make a dedicated loader tractor that will have the loader mounted all the time a slip scoop can be more handy. The scoop will mount and dismount about as quickly as a mower deck so you can pull it out, use it, then put it away. A slip scoop would be easier and of course cheaper to build.

Not cheap but if you want it fast Johhny products sells scoops. http://www.johnnyproducts.com/

I built this just for fun and it did come in handy. If you have a ramp gate trailer they can be used to load and unload mulch or other loose materials. I think the johnny site shows many of the uses.

th_scoop002.jpgth_scoop003.jpgth_scoop50.jpg

Brrly1

Hello Dusty, What area do you live in? See Ya, Bye Burly

:notworthy:

baerpath

Keep an eye out, Last week a Quickway that was on a GT14 went for 400 on ebay.

Doesn't matter what they were on though Not that hard to adapt one over to a Wheel Horse. I'm adapting one from a Bolens now. And that one I found on craigslist

Duane

• Like 1

wallfish

It would be cheaper to find a used one but you will need to come up with the cash all at once. If you build one, you can buy what you need over time as the project progresses.

If you enjoy building things then I would suggest building it. Some things are more important than money, like getting the satisfaction and pride of building something yourself, plus what you will learn from the experience. You will enjoy it much more every time you use it.

At least you are on the right track. Ask a bunch of questions and do your research to determine what the best way is for YOU.

Buy a used one and bolt it on

Buy a used one that needs some work

Modify a used one to your needs

Buy used parts and build the rest

Build one yourself

$.02

wallfish

Here are some basic FEL plans found on the net for free. If you can't print them from here, send me an email and I can send the PDF file if you want it.

That goes for anyone else who wants the file too.

FELplanspg1.jpg

FELplanspg2.jpg

FELplanspg3.jpg

FELplanspg4.jpg

FELplanspg5.jpg

dustycarter

Hello Dusty, What area do you live in? See Ya, Bye Burly

:notworthy: Hi Burly. I live in East Tennessee. About 5 hours east of Nashville. Merry Christmas

Hello all. thank you all very much for all of your input. I have checked just about every site you could imagine. I would realy like to build one myself as I can add stuff over time and I get that feeling of satisfactory. I have found used loaders but I live in East Tennessee and we never have any things like this down our way. Every time I try and build a loader I tac weld some old scrap metal and see how it looks. I just can't do a darn thang right. YES THE METAL IS VERY EXPENSIVE. $200 for 4x1 rectangular tubing from my local supplier. Then I have to worry abut the hydraulics/actuators etc. I never did find that plan on the web after all of that searching. I have considerd the J.B but I want a true loader as I have a small 4x8 trailer with sides on it for dirt and stuff. Also I have alot od rock and would like to lift them in higher piles instead of the 18''. I really really appreiate all of your alls input. Thank you so much and Have a Merry Christmas! dustycarter

stevebo

My 2 cents on this one is you are looking at over $1200 in just raw materials not counting your hydrolic pump. I would suggest finding a machine with one on it and sell the 312 as it is a bit underpowered imo to handle a loader. Good luck- :notworthy:

dustycarter

Well I hvae thought about doing that but I rarely ever find anything in Tennessee over a 412-8. Thats the problem. I have considered going to other brands but would like to stay with WH. I really don't know what to do at this point.

wallfish

That 312 can handle the loader but the spindles will have to be "beefed up". My 416 has the "heavy duty" spindles which is a brace that is welded at the angle on them and should be fairly easy to fabricate.

I may have some other folders with FEL info and I will email them over to you when I get on my other computer

HorseFixer

That 312 can handle the loader but the spindles will have to be "beefed up". My 416 has the "heavy duty" spindles which is a brace that is welded at the angle on them and should be fairly easy to fabricate.

I may have some other folders with FEL info and I will email them over to you when I get on my other computer

Good Info John! I would like an E-Mail Too! :notworthy: :thumbs:

dustycarter

Thanks for the plans. I am going to try and add a little on as time goes by. How do you bolt the pumps on?Can I use a 2 stage on it? I believe I ave an old power steering pump in the shed so will that work?

dustycarter

Thanks for the plans. I am going to try and add a little on as time goes by. How do you bolt the pumps on?Can I use a 2 stage on it? I believe I ave an old power steering pump in the shed so will that work?

KC9KAS

Hey guys, I would like to see the FEL plans too!

Does anyone know if a 1975 B-80 or B-100 would handle a FEL?

My father-in-law gave me the name of a fellow that had a FEL on some type of garden tractor, and now it is in the "fence row" rusting. I plan to call the guy soon, and attemp to make/re-do something for my "B's" Thanks for your input.

Nick

Its going to depend on the use but just about any long frame Wheel Horse garden tractor can handle a loader if the loader is sized to the tractor. You will want to reinforce or replace the front spindles. A transmission with 1-1/8 axles will better hold up to the rear counter weight needed and also to wider tires or duals if used for better stability.

A Lawn Ranger is not the first or best choice to build a loader tractor with but even it can get the job done. Ive done more over the last 3 years with this little 8hp tractor than most people with tractors 3 or 4 times its size.

railties002email-2.jpg

wallfish

The PDF file is exactly what is posted but easier to print and change the size. It can not be sent through Redsquare. Send me an email which will have your email address or PM me your email address and I can send it over. You could also right click the pictures from the post and save them to your computer.

jwms

if you look at the other tractor forums, useing power steering pumps has been done by a lot of guys.  you dont plant a garden on monday and harvest tuesday.  an fel is the same way if on a budget. do some here, some there, and be patient. one day you will have it finished and you will be amazed at how much easier life is.  power steering arms from cars and trucks can be used also along with the control unit (end of the steering wheel). you may have to tweak a set of plans but 2x4 and scrap plywood can be used to mock up what you have to the tractor.

Edited by jwms