Sign in to follow this  
streetcop

diference between 312-8 and 416-8

streetcop

I am looking to purchase a tractor to mowe three acres. besides the horse power, can you tell me the difference between a 312-8 and a 416-8? Im new to the tractor world. are they good strong tractors?

Thanks

brian

TJ

I can tell you that either tractor, if they are in good running condition, can handle the job for you. :notworthy:

Tom

rickv1957

They are both good tractors and will get the job done,Rick

Coadster32

Don't know offhand the difference, but... :notworthy:

Rollerman

I am looking to purchase a tractor to mowe three acres. besides the horse power, can you tell me the difference between a 312-8 and a 416-8? Im new to the tractor world. are they good strong tractors?

They are both stout tractors shareing the same sheet metal & many other parts.

The 16HP 416 has a slight edge in sturdyness with slightly bigger rubber in back, 8" front wheel & tires, & a heavy duty 8 pininon rerar end with 1 1/8th axles.

The 312 has slightly smaller tires in back, 6" front wheel & tires, & probably (but not always) a lighter 4 pinion rear end with 1" axles.

If the price & condition is similar between the two I'd go for the 416 since it will handle a 48" deck with no problems when the grass gets a little long.

The 312 will pull the same sized deck, but it may work a little harder in the taller grass.

Again both are very stout & well built machines.

I'd buy both. :notworthy:

oldandred

the 312 has a 12 hp kohler the 416 has a 16 hp kohler a lot stronger engine than the 12 not much else is different

Sparky

Well for mowing I think the 312 would be best running a 42" deck max and not a 48"er.

The 416 would handle a 48" deck better than the 312. I'm sure plenty of guys will chime in about their 312 with a 48" deck and how its just fine but I think in the best interest of not wearing out the motor prematurly a 42" is the biggest the 312 should be asked to spin. Will it spin it....sure....but it'll be working it.

Just my opinion.

Mike.........

jtmoyer

so at one time have a 312 and a 416 (one of the newer ones with an onan twin) both had 6" tires in the front. i ran the 416 with a 48" deck and the 312 with a 42 and a vac bagger. i could tell the difference in hp climbing a small grade. like every else has said both will make you a good tractor.

if you are looking at older models the 416 will have idiot lights and the 312 will not.

you will find after you are "in the tractor game" for a time you will "need" more then one tractor, so but them both you can't go wrong.

bitten

Brian

Hello and :notworthy:

P.J.

pfrederi

If your 3 acres is not all smooth the 400 series will ride much smoother....

Raider12puller

It all depends on which motor is in the 416. If it has a kohler i would go with it but if it has an Onan i would probably have to pass on it. I have a 312-8 and 416 with both kohler and Onan. The 312 has no problem with a 48 side discharge. Onans seem to drink gas than kohlers. :notworthy::thumbs:

:WRS:

Ken

streetcop

Thanks Guys!!

The both have Kohlers and the 312 has a 42" rear discharge deck while the 416 has a 48" side discharge deck. Both seem to be in good to very good condition with 712 hours on the 312 and it looks like the 416 did not come with an hour gauge. Did they all have hour gauges??

Anyway I am going with Rollermans advise and buying them both for 500 a piece. Did I do good??

Thanks

Brian :notworthy:

dgjks6

The most important question is whether you are happy with the price. If so, then you did good. If they both run and are in good shape and the decks are in good shape then I have seen people pay more.

After getting my first wheel horse free, I have learned that the purchase price does not matter. It is all of the maint, mods, repairs, and attachments that start to cost.

can whlvr

i have to agree to go for the 416,i have a few tractors in the range that you are looking at,i personally tend to go for the bigger machine for most things,the 312 is a fine machine,i personally would take a side discharge over a rear if i only had one,you can blow grass and leaves aside which the rear cant do,the rear is good around gardens and pools etc,but thats my 2 cents