Sign in to follow this  
KC9KAS

B-100 engine mount

KC9KAS

When I aquired my B-100 it was without an engine :notworthy: . I found the correct engine (K241AS) :WRS: , but now it looks as though there is a mount missing that fits between the frame & engine to offset the engine from the center line of the tractor :banghead: .

My B-80 has this mount, so I know basically what the plate should look like, but I would rather buy the correct piece as to try to make one and it fail, and have to "lick my calf all over again"!

Does anyone have one for sale, or know where I might find one :) ?

:thumbs:

rickv1957

The B100 correct engine is a K241s not the K241as you have,it might work if you get the proper mounts from a C101,121,141,161,or the C105,125,145,165 as they used the as type engine,Rick

KC9KAS

I thought I saw some information that said the correct engine was a K241AS...then I worte it down and started looking for one. Did I read it wrong or maybe the info was incorrect!

MikesRJ

Correct Data:

1-0510, 1974, B Series Garden Tractor, B-100, Automatic, Kohler, K241S-46636D, 10, Sundstrand, 90-1136

1-0511, 1975, B Series Garden Tractor, B-100, Automatic, Kohler, K241S-46636D, 10, Sundstrand, 90-1136

61-10K801, 1976, B Series Garden Tractor, B-100, 8-Speed, Kohler, K241S-46636D, 10, Wheel Horse, 5091

61-10K802, 1976, B Series Garden Tractor, B-100, 8-Speed, Kohler, K241S-46636D, 10, Wheel Horse, 5091

61-10K803, 1976, B Series Garden Tractor, B-100, 8-Speed, Kohler, K241S-46636D, 10, Wheel Horse ,103907

61-10K804, 1976, B Series Garden Tractor, B-100, 8-Speed, Kohler, K241S-46636D, 10, Wheel Horse, 5091

71-10K801, 1977, B Series Garden Tractor, B-100, 8-Speed, Kohler, K241S-46756D, 10, Wheel Horse, 103907

Cody

The k241as is a rubber mounted engine, the k241s would be the correct engine for the B-100 as Rick has stated. There are a few ways mounts that you could use to mount this engine in your tractor, you can get the rubber mounting plate, a solid mounting plate that that was used on some tractors or im almost positive you can switch the oil pan from a small pan that you have to the bigger pan that is correct for that tractor, and please anyone correct me if i am wrong

rickv1957

The AS block is different so a S block oil pan will not bolt to it,Rick

Bow_Extreme

I have the correct mount for the B-100 engine. It's in great condition!! I may sell it if you want it.

TT

1.) There is no special motor mount device, plate, or adapter of any kind on a B-100. The original engine had the large oil pan that bolted directly to the frame.

2.) Just because it has an "A" (special oil pan) in the suffix doesn't make it compatible with the isolation cradle used on the Wheel Horse C-XX1/CXX5 models. It does mean that you can possibly install a Wheel Horse spec pan and use the cradle to mount it to the frame - providing you have the mounting bars and the ability to drill the holes in the tractor frame.

rustyoldjunk

TT i was reading this post thinking the same thing,but everyone else was going along with the engine plate for a B100 so i was waiting to see what i was thinking that was wrong.

Bow_Extreme

The B100 parts tractor I picked up seemed to be original. That cradle mounted right in the frame and the engine mounted in the cradle. I'm almost positive it was built from the factory that way so I do believe there was a special cradle made for the 10hp Kohler. Infact you would have to do a bit of modifying to make it work and still make it work.

TT

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=4420

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=4584

The B-80 is the only one that used a riser plate. (all four years of production)

Edit: The 1976/77 B-60 also used the riser plate.

There were many other models that used riser plates, adapter plates, etc., but this discussion is about the B series horizontal shaft garden tractor models.

Do you have / can you post pictures of your B-100?

Bow_Extreme

I can post some pictures in a bit. I will have to go out and take some pics. It no longer has the engine in it but you will get the idea.

can whlvr

i know that is the same way wheelhorse did the 308 also,it has a riser plate that the engine sat on.

KC9KAS

OK guys...I just talked to the PO :thumbs: , and he said the original engine was "rubber mounted", and one of the 4 hold downs was actually a "J" bolt....any of this make since? :notworthy:

TT

OK guys...I just talked to the PO :thumbs: , and he said the original engine was "rubber mounted", and one of the 4 hold downs was actually a "J" bolt....any of this make since? :notworthy:

Not in the slightest. :WRS:

rustyoldjunk

are you sure its not a C101?

can whlvr

i would think a c101 also

rickv1957

Ken,as I owned a B100 for many years,the motor does have 1 J-bolt to mount but it is a solid mount engine,no rubber,and if I remember correctly the J-bolt was on the right front ,Rick

TT

the motor does have 1 J-bolt to mount but it is a solid mount engine,no rubber,and if I remember correctly the J-bolt was on the right front

That is only correct for the 1974/75 B-100 automatic.

The 1976/77 B-100 8 speed shared the same longer frame as the C series and the engine was mounted with four "normal" bolts.

Definitely a solid-mounted engine either way.

Kelly

The 2 B-100's I have both bolt solid to the frame via the oil pan, no rubber mounts.

Only the small block Kohlers need the riser plate to make up the height diff for the crank center line to the rear end, I belive that is the only reason it was there on the small kohlers.

yes I've seen the shaker mount engines put in older tractors, just remember if you do, you need to make it solid or change the belt guard, as the solid mount engine it bolts to the block, rubber mounted engines have a support from the dash tower to hold the end of the belt guard.

Are you sure you have a B-100?? I've seen many tractors get new decals that don't go to them. if it has the rubber mount (shaker mount) the gas tank will be under the seat, and the batt. up behind the dash, the B's all had the tank under the hood, and the batt, mounted to the frame, (unless a pull start) just checking to see if we know for sure what tractor we are talking about.

rickv1957

TT and Kelly,I agree with you both on this engine mount question :notworthy: Rick

wheelhorsec85

cody is correct ,the 241s is a correct engine for your b100 there is no mounting plate on a b 100 the left side get a nut and bolt and the right side has bolts that go straight up through the oil pan . now you can use the engine you have and yes the mounting plate will fit your tractor . as a direct bolt on . a wheel horse c101 is just the newer style to your b100 . same tractor , but gas tank under seat instead of under hood and has mounting plate . if you are interested i have all the parts you need . jeff

TT

OK - I just looked in Ken's signature and saw that it's a 1975 B-100 automatic.

These tractors are 2" shorter from the footrest bar to the front of the frame, so those of you who are claiming that the rubber-mount cradle and mounting blocks can be used on the medium frame tractors might want to verify that information before divulging it.

There's a reason the J bolt is used on these models and I'm pretty sure it's due to the location of the front axle mounting plate on the underside of the frame. There just might be the same interference with the bolts for the front cradle mounting block bolts too. :thumbs:

If someone has actually done this and knows for a fact that it's possible, then I'll be convinced. :notworthy: