Sign in to follow this  
Polaris2007

Clutch Spring Tension

Polaris2007

As part of the restoration of my C-120, I replaced the belt tentioner, and clutch spring. The original clutch spring was BADLY rusted, and had no life left in it. I took it with me to the hardware store and tried to match it up, but the one I got is way to light. it takes almost no effort to depress the clutch pedal fully. Partstree.com lists the clutch spring as unavailable. Does anyone have a part number, or some other way to identify a suitable replacement spring? Should I just guess again and get the next stiffer spring from the hardware store? The belt was slipping on her maiden voyage in 2nd gear hi when trying to go through 5 inches of snow. I know I need a new belt too, since the when the clutch is out all the way, the tensioner arm is pretty much standing up straight, so I think the old belt is stretched out. Thanks again guys for always imparting your wisdom apon us Wheel Horse newbies!! :notworthy:

rustbucket

i know for myself on a few machines ive use some heavy springs but you need to be careful playing around with differeitn springs as to much tension when you let your foot off will lean to wheelies hehe. i use heavy springs from the wall in tractor supply dont recall the sizes but they where used on a puller of mine and going to be tossed onto my next puller.

can whlvr

i would think that a spring from a c 101 8 speed would work,i got one from the dealer and it wasnt too expensive,might be close,if needed i think i have the old one so i could measure it and compare to your spring,sorry my c tactors are hydros so no spring to compare it to the c101 or the 414,8 ,sorry the spring i got was for my 414 but i put it on the 101,toro #108035,it was around 6 dollars.

rickv1957

I have a new spring if you dont find one,also one on ebay,Rick