Sign in to follow this  
Mighty Red

New member saying Hello!

Mighty Red

Hi folks, just wanted to say hello and fill in the background a bit on how I got here.

My wife and I moved into a house with a real yard in Oct. and maintaining the yard with a push mower just wasn't cutting it and so begins the crusade to find a lawn tractor. I started with the big box stores and walked away feeling like the "tractors" they sold were pretty much disposable and kind of wimpy. I then took a trip to an actual John Deere store because the equipment they sell (or so I was told) is not the same as the Home Depot variety. Sure they had the tractor I wanted, but I didn't have the ten grand they wanted. I went home bummed out and grinding my mental gears on plan b.

I kept telling myself "that Husqvarna at Lowes's will be fine for just cutting the grass". I went in, checkbook in hand but just couldn't bring myself to do it. The damn thing was just a cheap imitation of what a tractor should be. What do you mean I cant mow in reverse? I don't care what the brochure says, that is not a hydrostatic drive and I could tear that hitch off with my bare hands. I walked out thinking maybe my standards are just too high.

Why were my standards so high? Well my friends, let me tell you. My grandfather had a pretty big yard and it was unofficially my brother's and my job to mow that yard every summer and to suck up the leaves in the fall. I might have been in fourth grade when I was handed that responsibility and it was one of which I have many fond memories. I think my brother and I had more than a few arguments on who's turn it was to drive the tractor.

When I was in seventh grade or so my parents bought a riding mower from my uncle so my brother and I could fight over who was cutting the grass at home as well. This one was really cool it had a snowthrower, a plow and it cut the grass too, we were in heaven.

I've been away from home for quite some time and haven't had the need for a tractor until recently and haven't given it much though since I was a kid. Why were my standards so high? I wanted a tractor made like those I grew up with.... I wanted a Wheel Horse!

I knew they hadn't been made for quite some time and thought tracking down a good one might be a little tough. Funny thing is there is a guy not two miles from my house that always seems to have a tractor for sale in his front yard, well one day it was a Wheel Horse. I stopped in figuring he might be able to point me in the right direction, hell he had a whole garage full of them. Apparently they've become somewhat collectable and some people even restore them. Who knew?

He had a 78 c141 in great shape sitting there, it was nearly identical to the one my grandfather had. He turned the key, the Kohler cranked to life and I was unexpectedly hit with a flood of memories. Rebuilt engine, new hydraulics, paint looks as good as it can for a 30 year old machine. Needless to say, I bought it.

WH Raider 10

:) I know you'll enjoy it! :notworthy:

and :banghead::banghead::banghead:

:thumbs:

:WRS: Dan B.

zieg72

Great story, thanks for sharing... Welcome to RedSquare, there are a great bunch of guys here and if you're not careful you will have more than one before long. :notworthy:

WHC-125

:notworthy: Glad to see you got reattached with some of your childhood memories and are enjoying your new horse! And Carl is right there is a great bunch of guys on here and you will soon figure out you need more than one horse!

HorseFixer

:thumbs: And that was a great Story! There only Red In My Shed! :WRS: And sounds like from here on out that will what will be in yours! :notworthy:

TJ

Great story. :notworthy:

Tom

Suburban 550

:) Great choice of tractors. :thumbs: The only trouble is, once you buy a horse you just can't stop at one. They seem to become an addiction. :WRS: Good luck with the new tractor. :notworthy:

chazm

Hello & :thumbs:

:notworthy:

rickv1957

Hello and :notworthy: Rick

dadstractor1

:notworthy: dadstractor in mayview mo

Indy w h

Your not alone in the wheelhorse tree, RS is dedacated to a few thousand

wheelhorse nuts hanging in the tree with ya :WRS::notworthy: hope ya got a shed

to start fillin-up because ya can't just have 1 WH you'll have a whole herd

of them.

:thumbs: Indy

Operator

Mighty Red that is a great story indeed! Makes me want to go out and buy another one!

The great American tractor :notworthy:

When you do you signature could you put in your where abouts?

Randy

rmaynard

Hello and Welcome from Bob in Maryland.

Where do you and your horse live?

d180man

Hi :notworthy:

JimD

great story and, :notworthy:

whfan74

What a great story! I am sure there is a smile on your face a mile wide every time you hop on that and start mowing! Good thing is you don't have to fight with your brother now since it is yours! :notworthy:

Glad to have you aboard.......enjoy your Horse and enjoy the site!

dscott2000

:notworthy: and as it was said before.... :thumbs: :WRS:

Mighty Red

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Honestly, the whole thing started with just getting a tractor to cut the grass. When I was growing up I think most of my family owned or had owned one. No matter who we were visiting there always seemed to be a Wheel Horse hanging around. I guess I just sort of took them for granted.

It didn't realize until recently how ahead of their time and well built they actually were. I was amazed at how well their design has stood the test of time and that newer tractors really aren't that much of an improvement. At least the cheaper tractors aren't, heck they're downright pitiful.

I didn't get to use it much this year but every time it put a smile on my face. I was thinking about getting a snow plow just to have an excuse to use it this winter. I need to look like I'm doing some kind of work. You know.... so the neighbors don't start saying stuff like "that fruitcake is out riding around on his tractor again."

I'll post some pics when I get a chance, I think there may be some vintage Horses at work in one of my mom's family albums. I'll see if I can dig those up too.

VinsRJ

bitten

Hello and :notworthy:

Crazywheelhorseman

hello, great story and :notworthy:

Wayne

Duff

Just wanted to join the gang in saying, :thumbs: !

And thank you for a great story. You're going to have a good time around here!

BTW, where do you hail from?

Duff :notworthy:

can whlvr

:notworthy: and you can take care of the driveway in the winter if you get a plow or blower

Coadster32

Seems like you already fit in just fine here. Glad to have to along, and thanks for sharing. :notworthy: