Sign in to follow this  
HankB

Tillers: Watch that lower tine guard stop!

HankB

On my maiden voyage with my new (to me) 2-1257 tiller, one of the tines caught a small root that pulled the rear tine guard into the tines. This caused the tine guard to jam and bend as well as bend the tiller housing itself. :notworthy:

While I was disassembling it I wondered about these extra tabs that seemed to have no purpose. I also wondered why there was nothing to keep the tine guard out of the times. Examining the parts diagram revealed to me that the that those extra tabs are called "lower time guard stop" and are supposed to face backward. On my tiller, they could not do so since the knuckle of the hinge (I had to look that up :thumbs: ) faced the underside of the cover and would have been in the way of the lower tine guard stop.

Now I have some bent metal to straighten and some paint repair in addition since one bend caused the paint to flake off.

So check your tillers lest they be improperly assembled and susceptible to self inflicted damage. :WRS:

best,

hank

wallfish

I don't have a tiller but I know it sucks when you break a new toy the first time you use it. Sorry you had the mishap and hope you can get'r all straightened out

Sparky

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but if just one member here can benefit from your warnings.........

Mike....

rickv1957

I had that same thing happen to me several years back!,Rick

can whlvr

i just took my tiller off today :notworthy:

Daddy Don

I will check my tiller today. Thanks for the info. :notworthy: