Sign in to follow this  
The_Tyke

Anyone fitted a winch?

The_Tyke

I know I'm going to get told off at some point for thinking about wanting too many things on my horse, but I can't afford to stick a winch on the Land Rover!:notworthy:

So has anyone succesfully fitted a winch be it hydraulic or electric?

Sparky

I think Ian (Stigian) has, and if he hasnt he will be soon :notworthy: .

Mike........

jtmoyer

i think there is a guy on ebay that sells plates that hook in the front to mount an tv winch. he uses it to lift his plow.

can whlvr

i have one for my 308 so i can lift a rear spike with the lift arm and use the winch to lift the blade and i can use both attachments at the same time 008-4.jpg

bitten

Its your Horse, do as you want :notworthy:

I have got all the stuff to add one to the back of my D200, just haven't done it yet. Last winter we had a guy go off the road in front of our house and it would have come in handy to pull him out on the ice.

Good Luck,

P.J.

418a

I was thinking the same thing ! Pull trees on level land to cut up for firewood,getting stuck etc. Let me know if you come up with a good idea,on the front would be great piece to work with. Brian

pfrederi

A winch would be for self recovery. The tractor doesn't weigh enough to do any serious pulling...you just pull your tractor to the log or the other stuck vehicle. ( I have an M-37 w/w (7000lb Braden) and even at her weight of 3 tons she pulls herself towards the logs unless I chock all the wheels)

Since it is for self recovery a rear mounted winch would probably make more sense. You don't want to winch yourself deeper into the swamp... you want to go back out the way you went in.

It should be pretty easy to modify one of the ATV winch brackets to fit the rear hitch

Prater

That 12 Volt Harbor Freight winch works great for us on the trailer. I am planning to install one on my D. Here it is lowering my D off the trailer, this one is mounted to the trailer and uses a hand held wireless remote to pull or release the line.

The_Tyke

pfrederi

It doesn't matter how heavy your horse is if you use a "Ground Anchor".

It does what is says quite effectively. They are used in self recovery of 4x4's, but there is no reason why they can't be used as a point to pull from.

The main issue will be battery size and the charging capacities of the alternator. This will effect how much and how long you can winch.

This is a plow type anchor that digs itself into the ground.

apt15.jpg

This is a screw in type anchor.

apt16.jpg

Andy T

pfrederi

The tools you show will work really well...However if the ground is frozen (usually is when I am cutting trees) not so well. (also if it really muddy and the the winch vehicle is strong you can bury the things... :thumbs:

You have hit on the real limiting factor...electrical power. 15 amp stator and a lawn and garden battery will not run the winch for very long... I did find a heavier L&G battery from interstate that has 340 CCA. I got it with the intent of putting an electric winch on my Mule but haven't gotten around to getting the winch yet $$$ :notworthy:

FYI a Mule is a M-274 Truck platform utility 1/2 ton. (not the 4 legged variety :WRS:). It uses a 14 hp mil-standard 2 cylinder air cooled motor...I have added a 35 amp Delco SI alternator.