Sign in to follow this  
Polaris2007

Brake Band Questions

Polaris2007

I just noticed while re-installing the brake band on my C-120, that the lining was partially unattached to the band. I gave it a light pull, and it completely peeled right off the band! The lining is VERY brittle, and pretty much crumbled in my hand. I noticed that partstree.com wants over $50 for a new one. My band is in great shape. Is it possible to buy the lining material somewhere, cut it to shape, and somehow bond it to my band? Or is it easier to just shoot the lock off the wallet and buy the new band from Toro? Please advise........ :notworthy:

Duff

They tend to come up fairly frequently on eBay. Just be sure to either study the photos or contact the seller for condition. I've bought three in great shape and the most I paid for one was $10.

Duff :notworthy:

Save Old Iron

I was thinking about using this material on some of my bands.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#brake-lining/=4pkls6

Probably just epoxy them in place.

:notworthy:

Rollerman

I have used JB Weld in the past to repair the exsisting brake liners on some of my older round hoods.

It's held up for me, but then these tractors are not used as much anymore.

You should be able to find brake lineing material at a better auto parts store...one of the old school types, not the flashy newer ones.

(Also moveing this thread to transmissions & transaxles)

earlleecliffton

mcmaster carr has material.i havnt tryed it but plan on it

tarcoleo

IMO, Duff's advise re ebay purchase of a brake band is winner. Some have

adapted go-kart brake bands. I broke one of the screws that attaches the

band to the trans. on my C-81 so some reengineering using a go-kart unit

was necessary. All I can say is be very careful not to break either of those

little attachment screws.

Tom in RI

rmaynard

:omg:

Has anyone tried this material on brake bands. I am looking at item #6175K113, 1-1/2' wide by 3/16" thick, non-metallic. at $3.99/ft.

Seems like a reasonable alternative to the $54.00 Toro is getting. As long as the band is okay, new material seems like the answer, especially when you are on a tight budget.

Bob

Save Old Iron

Bob,

I have used both the non-metallic and the semi-metallic material - both work fine.

Clean up the old brake band - I used silicone cement to mount the material to the old metal bands. JB Weld is very stiff when set and with the flexing of the brake band as it get used and used up - the JB Weld will tend to crack vs flex like the silicone.

I also place a small brass rivet at the lead edge of the friction material - forward enough never to contact the brake rotor - this will keep the friction material from being dragged off the band if the adhesive breaks free off the brake band.

:omg:

rmaynard

Thanks Chuck. I went ahead and ordered a piece to try. For only $4 plus S&H I don't think I can go wrong. My metal band cleaned up nicely.

Bob

algrc120man

you can also use a brake band lining from the inside of a drive disc on a snapper rear engine rider i beleive that stens offers the band separatly from the drive wheel and then use weather strip adhesive as it will handle the heat well when you install it back on your old band very in expensive. :omg:

DoctorHfuhruhurr

:thumbs:

Has anyone tried this material on brake bands. I am looking at item #6175K113, 1-1/2' wide by 3/16" thick, non-metallic. at $3.99/ft.

Seems like a reasonable alternative to the $54.00 Toro is getting. As long as the band is okay, new material seems like the answer, especially when you are on a tight budget.

Bob

I bought the same material and it's worked well for me. But I guess I'm not allowed to re-post the part number and website or the post will get deleted.

Indy w h

:thumbs:

Bob

I bought the same material and it's worked well for me. But I guess I'm not allowed to re-post the part number and website or the post will get deleted.

Hmmm ..... Gee , I wonder why????

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Because a member complained he was losing money since he sells them on ebay for $20 and I didn't like the fact that I mentioned that it could be had for $3.99 to save some people some money. I thought the point of the site was to share info.

JimD

It's not hard to see why you want to be "Anonymous". :thumbs:

rmaynard

Yup. I'm that member. And since Anonymous wants everyone to know what I pay for the stuff, here it is.

You can go to McMaster & Carr and buy the material (6175K113) for $4.00 for a one foot piece. Keep in mind that shipping must be added into the equation. So now your cost is about $9.00.

So what do you get for the extra $8.00 that I charge RedSquare members? I cut to length, bore two 3/8" holes in the proper location, clean the material, package it in plastic sleeves, include instructions for proper installation, and ship it.

What's so bad about me trying to make a couple of bucks? If you don't want to pay for the convenience of having it already made, that's fine. There will always be the DIY'ers, and there will always be those who want the convenience of "ready made".

It's a choice.

I have no problem with anyone knowing where to buy the raw material. I would not have known myself if not for Save_Old_Iron's post.

So I'm offering another alternative to Toro's ridiculous price of $60.00 for a brake band. I wonder how much it costs them to make that?

Bob

Roger from southern Iowa

Bob, you are doing fine. That is a reasonable if not cheap alternative for us to have.

Thank you for offering this service.

You sure aren't going to get rich selling these linings.

nylyon

Please read the rules in the classifieds as to why your post was deleted, the rules are quite clear. There are a lot of products listed on this site which you can go and buy the materials and make it for less. For members like me however, I prefer to have someone else to the fabrication and allow me to purchase the final product. Should I need a new brake band, I will be sure to contact rmaynard to get mine already cut and ready to install, and if it's cut wrong, I will be sure to send it back to him for replacement. Others are free to purchase the material and fabricate their own, and if it's cut wrong buy another piece. I don't work for free and I don't expect others to either.

Let's keep this friendly please and allow members to sell the products they are fabricating without attacks.

rickv1957

Bob,next time I need a brake band will let you know,thanks for the service :thumbs: !,Rick