Sparky

Onan oil change headaches

Sparky

Hey guys. I just finished the second oil change on my 416 with an Onan 16hp powerplant and it sucked :notworthy: !!

I bought this tractor off Eldon at the "08" WH Show and it had fresh oil and filter so the first oil change was just the oil and not the filter as the owners manual states. Todays oil change included the oil filter and boy-oh-boy is that sucker packed in there! I had to move the battery cable and some of the wiring harness to get the filter out as there is absolutely no extra clearance in there for wiggling. The filter is almost to long to make the swing into or out of the hole in the side of the engine tins. Of course its just as hard to get the new one back in without getting the seal dirty.

Of course I got it done but not without some cussin :WRS: . Not a job to take on with the kids nearby :thumbs: .

I guess I'm just venting as its all done now.

So heres my question? Is it any worse on the 20hp Onans? Or are the blocks the same so it has the same clearance as my 16? Just curious.

Mike.........

chris11

Mike can you put a remote filter housing on it?

TT

The P216, 218, 220, etc. share the same external dimensions, Mike.

You are correct in stating that it's a pain to change the filter and the only easy thing that helps is removing the rubber sealing ring from the blower housing. (just make sure it gets reinstalled)

I have yet to find any tricks to make it easier. :notworthy:

kpinnc

I used a shorter oil filter Mike. I am a bit concerned about how hard it will be to remove, but once it's loose it is certainly easier to maneuver in there.

Kevin

• Like 1

Gracie's Dad

I JUST BOUGHT A 416-8 WITH THE P216 ON IT. CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT OIL FILTER NUMBER(S) I CAN GET TO REPLACE MINE? I WANT TO HAVE IT IN HAND PRIOR TO WRESTLING WITH THE OLD ONE, AND I HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO FIND A REFERENCE WITH THAT INFO IN IT, INCLUDING THE ONAN MANUAL. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.  THANKS

Martin

Hey guys. I just finished the second oil change on my 416 with an Onan 16hp powerplant and it sucked :disgust: !!

I bought this tractor off Eldon at the "08" WH Show and it had fresh oil and filter so the first oil change was just the oil and not the filter as the owners manual states. Todays oil change included the oil filter and boy-oh-boy is that sucker packed in there! I had to move the battery cable and some of the wiring harness to get the filter out as there is absolutely no extra clearance in there for wiggling. The filter is almost to long to make the swing into or out of the hole in the side of the engine tins. Of course its just as hard to get the new one back in without getting the seal dirty.

Of course I got it done but not without some cussin B) . Not a job to take on with the kids nearby :D .

I guess I'm just venting as its all done now.

So heres my question? Is it any worse on the 20hp Onans? Or are the blocks the same so it has the same clearance as my 16? Just curious.

Mike.........

Sparky, i just had to smile while reading your post..........fun, isn't it.?...... :angry-cussingblack:  :ROTF:

I JUST BOUGHT A 416-8 WITH THE P216 ON IT. CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT OIL FILTER NUMBER(S) I CAN GET TO REPLACE MINE? I WANT TO HAVE IT IN HAND PRIOR TO WRESTLING WITH THE OLD ONE, AND I HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO FIND A REFERENCE WITH THAT INFO IN IT, INCLUDING THE ONAN MANUAL. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.  THANKS

i use napa 1762 on mine, just sticks out enough to get your hand or a tool on it when it needs to come off. there is a longer and shorter filter that fits them as well.  napa 1374 is a touch shorter than the 1762. its ok but just a little short to get a hold off to get out of there.......

not sure of the longer filter number, but they are a pain in the butt to get off. stick with the 1762......

stevebo

I am with Kevin on the shorter filter. I use those with no issues.  :)

Gracie's Dad

Thanks for info

Gracie's Dad

As it turned out, the previous owner had a short filter(JD #AM101207) on it already. I had already picked up a motorcraft #FL400S, and it appears it should work just fine (fingers crossed). Even at that, I had to disconnect a battery cable and ratchet-strap the clutch pedal out of my way to change it. I could not imagine trying to put a full size filter in there. Thanks again for the input.

boovuc

I also use the short NAPA filter on mine. I had the Onan filter in it and the only thing you can do is turn it out and dump oil everywhere around the tractor frame and ground as it only comes out one way. (Filter back, then to the tractor side then down where you lose the contents of the filter)!

boomers_influence

club

the 1374 is the correct filter for the B series and the P16-18 20 engine.

the 1762 is made for the cck family. N series. T 260 and the P 224.

the 1762 is longer because the above blocks are longer side to side.

thank you boomer

cheesegrader

One of my 520's came with a Fram 3600 filter.  I had the same cursing issues getting that one out, and swore I wouldn't do it that way again.

The Fram 3600 is 4 3/4" long, and is the absolute limit of what will fit with a little bending of some tin.

The NAPA/Wix 1762 is 4 1/4" and fits better, easy to get a wrench on, but will still spill oil in the process of wiggling it out.

The NAPA/Wix 1374 filter is 3 1/4".  It is easier to get out, but STILL spills, and it is so short that it is hard to get a wrench on.

It's also 25% less filter.  

One day, I am going to put remote oil filters on, and never worry about this hassle again!

CTBT&D

I have four Onans(2-16's and 2-20's) and use Onan filters. For sure a tight space but I didn't think it was to bad. Definitely remove the rubber gasket first. I have a small plastic funnel that wedges up underneath the drip pan under the filter and directs the oil outside the frame. Sometimes I use a bent piece of shim stock to create a valley for the oil. I do bungee the wires out of the way far enough to do the job. :twocents-02cents:   I've seen cars and trucks that are worse to get to and make more of a mess. :unsure:

• Like 1

km3h

I have not had to change the filters in my tractors with Onan engines yet because I removed the engines when I got the tractors to clean them and adjust the valves then put new filters on. But I wonder why, since there are only four bolts holding the engine in place, you don't just remove those bolts and move the engine to a better position. Has anybody done it this way?