Sign in to follow this  
chesbaycruiser

Electrolysis Tank

mavfreak

Also I have found a post about someone making an E-tank using a stick welder. same principle as using the battery charger but faster about 1/3 the time. I'm to afraid to try it. If I screw up my welder I cant replace it or anything else worse than that.

I don't know how to post the link.

Also were I used to work we worked with stainless and we had to Passivated everything for some jobs. We had a tank made out of fiberglass that was around 30' by 10' by 5'. There was stainless rod down each side that hooked up to a machine that basically was a large battery charger. It and acid in the tank you would place the parts in the tank hook it up and in an hour it would remove any carbon from the welding process. Then you would pull it out and scrub it with a scotch bright pab and hose it down. The local sewer company said they would need to know when we would be doing this so they could do whatever they needed to to dissipate it.

OSHA was in our plant about everyother year so what we did must have been ok.

bunson70

I can't blame you for not wanting to use your welder to do this. They are not cheap!

can whlvr

i have three e tanks,one is a steel drum and it works great,yes it will eventually get a hole in it and leak but there is alot of area and no rebar in the way,i use my plastic one also 002-9.jpg

n1defan

Here are a few pics of my e tank. It works great. I maid my electrodes so that I can move them and take them out easily. I also bent them like a letter L around the bottom of the tank. Then I topped it all of by making a cart to put the tank on so that it can be moved easily around the shop.

etank1.jpg

etank.jpg

chesbaycruiser

n1defan,

Really like your electrode design, with the lip on top and the idea of an "L" across the bottom....I see some new ones in my future! :wh: (I must admit though, that the charger hanging over the water makes me a bit nervous!)

Question....I have the same/similar Century Automatic charger. I had to run it through a battery to get it to work properly. Are you working straight off the charger? Also, what setting are you using? 10Amp/Charge? :thumbs:

Thanks!

bunson70

I really like the idea about making it portable.

Horse'n Around

If it has been discussed earlier please forgive me asking but how do you dispose of the water/washing soda after its no longer usable? I did a search using "e tank solution disposal" and a few other ways but I couldn't find anything. I know its best to keep the words in a search to a minimum but thats all I could think of :thumbs:

Thanks,

John

sorekiwi

If it has been discussed earlier please forgive me asking but how do you dispose of the water/washing soda after its no longer usable?

I just pour it out behind my garage John. I have read that the solution is not toxic at all. It is high in Iron!! and its a nasty rusty color so pick your spot. It's never killed (or even harmed) the grass.

I do pour it through a sieve to collect the big flakes of paint that will be in the bucket. I am reasonably sure that the paint contains lead, and that I miss collecting a lot of it. So I collect as much of the paint as I can, put it in the trash can, and let someone else dump it into the environment. :thumbs:

Horse'n Around

If it has been discussed earlier please forgive me asking but how do you dispose of the water/washing soda after its no longer usable?

I just pour it out behind my garage John. I have read that the solution is not toxic at all. It is high in Iron!! and its a nasty rusty color so pick your spot. It's never killed (or even harmed) the grass.

I do pour it through a sieve to collect the big flakes of paint that will be in the bucket. I am reasonably sure that the paint contains lead, and that I miss collecting a lot of it. So I collect as much of the paint as I can, put it in the trash can, and let someone else dump it into the environment. :thumbs:

I wont tell :wh: Thanks Mike !

John

jhunsch

Thanks for the great info and description on how to do this. I am curious is the solution a one time use or can it be stored for say a week and re-used.

Jeff :dunno:

sorekiwi

Thanks for the great info and description on how to do this. I am curious is the solution a one time use or can it be stored for say a week and re-used.

Jeff :dunno:

Mine stays in the tank all summer! A bit evaporates off so I top it up with water and every now and again drop in some more powder.

If you do get some copper in there, or accidently drop a wire in, you will get some nasty green ooze on the top and on the electrodes. If it gets too bad I'll dump it out and start afresh.

HorseFixer

I have watched this for a few years now no one has blown themselfs up, :dunno: So's I guess its safe. :help: I have some things to strip and think I will try this and start today. What kinda (brand) washing soda? Is it borax? Also lets say yer doing like a belt gaurd and its rusted on the backside and the front is good except on the edges. When it takes off the good paint does it leave the metal smooth? (Not Pitted) I was thinking of useing this before sandblasting to make it easyer on blasting and keeping paint chips outta my media. :wh:

Thanks ~Duke

Rollerman

Duke it's no more, probably less dangerous than melting lead.

I've had a tank going for three seasons now.

I use Arm & Hammer washing powder, never put stainless in an e tank, they can dissolve aluminium, if the metal is pitted...it's pitted...an e tank won't change that

HorseFixer

Duke it's no more, probably less dangerous than melting lead.

I've had a tank going for three seasons now.

I use Arm & Hammer washing powder, never put stainless in an e tank, they can dissolve aluminium, if the metal is pitted...it's pitted...an e tank won't change that

Thanks Steven, Melting lead? :wh: Who the heck did that? :dunno:

~Duke

sorekiwi
IMG_1874.jpg

can whlvr

just to add to the topic ive used a tank for lots of things,it does help reduce sandblasting alot,and it works great on the really hard to sand things like thrower augers

002-9.jpg