Sign in to follow this  
wesley

Ball joints

wesley

Hi to you all tonight, when you have a broken ball joint ie pulled out of the rod on the steering do you guys mend them , been thinking about this tonight and as mine have both come out both sides, so was going to put on the make list, but was intrested how you went on, plus toro uk are a complete waste of finger power , they never return mail for older stuff, although in fairness they have at last given me a price on my wheels l now have , thanks to mith an lan and converting that in to your money ie $ it works out to be $200 each for a bare wheel :thumbs::thumbs: .

wes

kj4kicks

Hi Wes, Usually you would just replace the assembly. There have also been other discussions here about making your own using heim joints.

What model is it? Maybe one of us state-siders could look it up for you, and get you a price.

wesley

So very kind of you Kj4KicKs , but its the dam shipping + tax an duty etc that kills it, so where ever possable its best to try and make bits, engine bits are ok to get , we pay more than you but least they can be got, an example of post is my son sent for a star wars toy for my granson , the toy was $3 and the shipping etc came to $30 , so its not cheap, l beleve its a set charge of that up to 12lbs in weight, will make boat and sail over lol .

wes

TT

Wes,

You can repair them either by peening the edge of the hole, putting a spot of weld on either sides of the hole (don't weld the ball to the rod :thumbs: ), or you can find a piece of steel tubing that will slide snugly over the rod, and cut or mill a slot in it lengthways so it will slide over the thin part of the "bolt" under the ball. Put the ball back into the socket on the rod end, slip the repair collar in over the end, and tack weld it to the rod. (I hope you understand that. :thumbs: )

wesley

Wh1056, you are a star , thanks for advice, you and the others are great what good friends l have now found , thank you all .

wes

BPjunk

Wes,

I have successfully repaired tie rods by "steaking" them.

Place the tie rod in a vise and put a little drop of grease into the hole. Now insert the ball joint and turn the ball around to see if it feels tighter in a perticular position. Once you have found the tightest position where the ball will not fall out take a hammer and pin type punch (center punch) and "steak" along both edges to peen the metal in towards the ball. This will close up the hole just enough to keep the ball and socket together.

Bill in Richmond, Va.

Stigian

How long are the tie rods Wes?

I have a pair of WH tie rods in my parts pile somewhere your welcome too if they will fit :thumbs:

wesley

Thanks lan , very kind of you , will try and repair first , if not will come and se what you have in your stores lol.

wes

Mith

Wes, I made these up, much better than the stock ones, far less play.

04-01-07_1747.jpg

wesley

Nice one mith , like that , very good , can se me making new ones to now.

wes

Stigian

Sorry Wes, the tie rods i have are a bit short at 8 1/4" long.

My Raider rods are 9 5/8's ish long.

Could always make them adjustable i guess, but i like Jim's make your own idea :thumbs:

glenn27

I have used Bill's 'peening over, too, to get me through--but later down the road, it broke again--right when I needed the tractor the most.

When does it go bad-?? -late on a Saturday afternoon usually.. :thumbs:

The last set I replaced are more sturdy and made differently than the originals---which to me seem kinda cheezy--but that's all they had , I guess , back then.

This company {Sten's}:

http://www.stens.com/

makes a lot of OEM replacement parts for these tractors--and the tie rods were a few dollars cheaper each...

Take Care!