Sign in to follow this  
Helmer

Rectifier

Helmer

I need a to replace the rectifier on my C-101 with 10 HP Kohler due to the center terminal being burnt or corroded away. These units are crazy expensive to buy new. Is there a way to bench test a used one to make sure it's good? I need to find a good used one. Thanks for any help.

rickv1957

You can a used unit on ebay pretty easy,Rick

Save Old Iron

buy a 24 volt transformer at radio shack and connect the 24 VAC leads to the AC leads of the rectifier - this will simulate the stator output - - then measure with a dc voltmeter from the case ground of the rectifier to the DC output (usually center terminal) on the rectifier / reg assembly

you should see around 14. 5 volts + or - about .5 volts.

this will not test the voltage regulation at a high current load - you would need a very high amp 24 VAC transformer and a large resistive load to simulate large current loads thru the rectifier.

it can be done - it's just more expensive to accomplish than buying the reg / rectifier assembly to begin with

Save Old Iron

helmer,

just a thought - if you still have some metal left on the center terminal , you might be able to solder a wire directly to the terminal and still utilize the current rectifier assy.

again - just a thought

:notworthy:

Helmer

Thanks Chuck. I think there is enough of the terminal tab to make a new connection. I'll give it a try. If that doesn't work I'll check on ebay.