Sign in to follow this  
VinsRJ

My RJ58 Clinton 1200

VinsRJ

First off I would like to thank Charlie and Paul Pitcher for all of thier advice and help when I was putting this Clinton together.

This is the original motor to my RJ58 and was in fairly good shape to start with. The bore measured out nice so I honed the block and re-sized the valve guides. I installed a standard NOS piston, NOS re-ring kit, NOS rod and NOS over size stem valves. The 3.6hp NOS blower cover decal and air cleaner decal came from E-bay. I had two NOS paper air filters in stock so one is on this motor and the other is slated for my B1290 Clinton project in the works. They are both down draft filters but IMO who cares. I personally like it when the heads and bearing plates are left raw, so I painted this motor in parts, glass beaded the aluminum parts and then assembled it.

I haven't fired it up yet but it has super compression and the plug fires.

Attached Image

post-61-1258945224.jpg

VinsRJ

Pic 2

Attached Image

post-61-1258945273.jpg

VinsRJ

Pic 3

Attached Image

post-61-1258945324.jpg

VinsRJ

Pic 4

Attached Image

post-61-1258945366.jpg

bell

:notworthy: That F-M recoil looks OUTSTANDING! :thumbs::WRS: I bought a couple of them (that style) at Portland, to put on a couple K-91's I have laying around. I think they'll be getting the full polish like yours.

EXCELLENT WORK! :)

wallfish

That is NICE! How could you resist firing that baby up?

stevebo

GUys, I saw this motor in person and it is too nice to be used!! The pics do not do it really show how nice it is. Vince is a great guy and has a very nice kohler 7hp all done up like this one too !!! :notworthy:

TJ

Excellent! :notworthy:

clintonnut

Nice job Vince. I am currently doing a B1290 just like wallfish's for a guys RJ-35 in NJ. I painted it on saturday.

Charlie

Indy w h

Holly cow that engine should be mounted on the wall with

a blue ribbon next to it. WOW

Indy

bitten

Man that thing is sharp. Very nice job.

Suburban 550

Excellent job, Vin. :notworthy: A real masterpiece.

mike_1951

Man if the RJ looks as nice as this motor,That will be a show peice that

anybody would be proud to own

VinsRJ

Thank you all for your nice comments, much appreciated. I really enjoyed putting this motor together. If it wasn't for Stevebo stopping by my house a couple weeks ago I might not have posted any pics.

Atatched is a pic of what I started with. The exshaust valve was stuck as well as the piston. I got lucky in the sence that there was no damage. The motor locked up due to drying out.

I also got lucky with the paint laying perfect. I did wet sand all of the primer on the tins but the stars alined the day I rattle canned the IH Red Valspar. There is no wet sanding or polishing to the red tins. The block was painted Dupli-Color engine enamel "Red", which is a super close match to the IH Red Valspar.

Due to time issues during the summer I wasn't able to focus on the project as much as I would have liked. It ended up taking me four or five months to complete the project.

Currently I am giving my B1290 with the electric start on my RJ35 the works and as luck would have it time is becoming an issue again. I'm just hoping to get it completed before spring.

Again thanks to all!

Attached Image

post-61-1259026420.jpg

VinsRJ

Man if the RJ looks as nice as this motor,That will be a show peice that

anybody would be proud to own

Funny you should say that. My wife busts my chops all the time how I start with nice simple projects and turn them into the most stressful situations. :notworthy:

Coadster32

Great job on that motor!! :notworthy: I hear ya about time, and getting sidetracked. (yes dear) :thumbs:

clintonnut

Vince, after you first run the engine (for about 5 minutes). Shut it off and re-torque the head bolts to the specs. This will keep you from having a blown head gasket. This would be a good break in:

Start engine. Run at 1/4 throttle for 30 seconds. Then back down to idle for 30 seconds. Repeat this 4 times.

Run engine at half throttle for 15 seconds and then let idle for 15 seconds.

Repeat this 2 times.

Good Luck

Charlie

buckrancher

azz-kickin job on the motor Vince looks fantantic

I do have a question most old clinton 1200's I have seen have the web foot base as I call it yours looks more like a B1290's did you switch them or is that what

clinton calls a model 1200A :notworthy:

love the recoil polish :thumbs::WRS:

:)

clintonnut

Clintons had over a dozen types of bases. It was an option. You can't figure out the model whether it is a B1290 or a 1200. There is no such thing as a 1200A. Models usually go by a 4 digit sub number. For example:

1200 2184 - found on most early RJ's

B1290 1107 - found on later RJ's

There were models like the 1200-128 and etc. 1200 is the basic model and the sub number tells you what options it had when you look it up in the book.

Later engines went by these numbers -

498-0301-052

They changed model numbers in 1962 when Clinton switched to IBM numbers. The 498 is a later version of a B1290. The 1200 was discontinued in '62

Not putting you down buckrancher just :notworthy: ing you out!

Charlie

whfan74

Vin that is one beautiful looking motor! That looks really nice and can't wait to see it on the finished tractor. That will definitely turn some heads!!!!!!!

buckrancher

Clintons had over a dozen types of bases. It was an option. You can't figure out the model whether it is a B1290 or a 1200. There is no such thing as a 1200A. Models usually go by a 4 digit sub number. For example:

1200 2184 - found on most early RJ's

B1290 1107 - found on later RJ's

There were models like the 1200-128 and etc. 1200 is the basic model and the sub number tells you what options it had when you look it up in the book.

Later engines went by these numbers -

498-0301-052

They changed model numbers in 1962 when Clinton switched to IBM numbers. The 498 is a later version of a B1290. The 1200 was discontinued in '62

Not putting you down buckrancher just :thumbs: ing you out!

Charlie

sorry charlie meant A-1200 :notworthy:

VinsRJ

Vince, after you first run the engine (for about 5 minutes). Shut it off and re-torque the head bolts to the specs. This will keep you from having a blown head gasket. This would be a good break in:

Start engine. Run at 1/4 throttle for 30 seconds. Then back down to idle for 30 seconds. Repeat this 4 times.

Run engine at half throttle for 15 seconds and then let idle for 15 seconds.

Repeat this 2 times.

Good Luck

Charlie

Thanks for the info Charlie.

The jury is still out on whether or not my RJ-58 is going to be a trailer queen. :notworthy:

The base/oil pan is original. My engine serial number is 1200 2184.

Thanks everyone, Vince

stevebo

Vince,

You should just give me the Clinton and stick to the kohlers.... :thumbs: :notworthy:

VinsRJ

Vince,

You should just give me the Clinton and stick to the kohlers.... :WRS::thumbs:

I can do Kohlers........ :notworthy: