Sign in to follow this  
chesbaycruiser

Confused About Proper Carb Rebuild Parts?

chesbaycruiser

Hey, just wondering if anyone has any insight on the proper carb rebuild parts I need for my 1988 312-8? The engine is a Kohler M12S, Spec #: 471527, Serial #: 171670XXXX.

I have visited the Kohler parts website, but I'm a little confused about what I'm reading. According to my Model/Serial #s, my engine should have Carb part# 47 053 62, however that part was subsequently superceded by 47 853 09, which was finally superceded by 47 853 20-S.

The detail info for that final part (20-S) includes a notation about using rebuild parts: 24 757 11-S (Carb kit) and 24 757 09-S (Float kit).

So here's my question: I'm assuming that the tractor came with the first part #, which is described in part as "Adjustable jet". The final part (which includes the rebuild parts info) is described as "variable jet w/linkage". Is it safe to assume that the rebuild parts are good for any of the three carburetor assembly part #s, or are they different?

To compound the issue, if I search the "11-S" Carb kit on ebay, I get a variety of parts that include the full part number but also include a suffix (520-350 or 055-513), with one costing about double the other.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Chris

parts_list.jpg

parts_detail.jpg

parts_ebay.jpg

Duff

Chris, I went through this a short while ago and identifying the correct parts number was confusing as h*ll....

Here's the number for the kit that should have everything you need for a basic rebuild:

Kohler 25 757 11-S

I didn't need a float kit so I didn't research that. The floats on all three of the carbs for my M12's seem to be OK.

Duff :notworthy:

TT

To compound the issue, if I search the "11-S" Carb kit on ebay, I get a variety of parts that include the full part number but also include a suffix (520-350 or 055-513), with one costing about double the other.

The "520-350" and "055-513" are Stens part numbers -- which is an aftermarket parts company.

chesbaycruiser

Here's the number for the kit that should have everything you need for a basic rebuild:

Kohler 25 757 11-S

Thanks Duff...."25 757" is what I meant to type, "24 757" was a typo! :WRS:

The "520-350" and "055-513" are Stens part numbers -- which is an aftermarket parts company.

TT (or anyone else),

I got that the the suffix #s were Stens parts. One has a single needle with a spring, one has two needles with a spring and a clip. I'm showing my ignorance here, but how do I know which one I need? Is this a situation where the carb has both needles, but I may not need both, or is this a kit to accomodate more than one type of carb and I won't know which one I need until I've got it apart? :notworthy:

(Doesn't it seem odd that the same Kohler Part # would have two different descriptions!?) :thumbs:

Duff

......or is this a kit to accomodate more than one type of carb and I won't know which one I need until I've got it apart? :notworthy:

(Doesn't it seem odd that the same Kohler Part # would have two different descriptions!?) :WRS:

I'm going to guess the kit accommodates more than one type of carb. After I did my rebuild I still had some unused stuff (and I didn't forget to put something back in!). :)

Duff :thumbs: